U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 AM

253 posts, read 301,883 times

Advertisements

Possible Complete System Map.

Possible Initial Line:

Besides that, they don't have a lot of info on their page:
Seattle Subway

But there is a Facebook Page which opened yesterday:
Seattle Subway | Facebook

Yeah, it will take forever to build out the entire system, but we've got to start somewhere. I look forward to seeing where this all goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 PM

5,566 posts, read 6,441,098 times
I think its a great idea.

But I do remember seeing that since McGinn is pushing the idea the taxpayers are against it. Politics Northwest | Odds are fading for Ballard/West Seattle light rail measure by 2011 | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,187,803 times
I noticed that they faded out the line out to the Eastside right before they would have drawn Kemper Freeman's Dead Body.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 PM

331 posts, read 644,520 times
That is really awesome. Is it a real proposal? Great post Ancalagon but I can't rep you

Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 PM

8,291 posts, read 14,639,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
That is really awesome. Is it a real proposal? Great post Ancalagon but I can't rep you
It's a real proposal, but I think it's unlikely to happen. It's proposed for the city of Seattle only, as opposed to Sound Transit, so the funding would have to come from a smaller number of people. The city taxpayers just rejected a transportation issue at the ballot box, and building subways is really, really expensive. The city can't seem to keep potholes fixed, they've limited library hours, cut back on park maintenance.
I like the idea and I hope it happens. But the way things seem to work in the city- they'll argue about it for the next forty years.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's a real proposal, but I think it's unlikely to happen. It's proposed for the city of Seattle only, as opposed to Sound Transit, so the funding would have to come from a smaller number of people.
Once ST2 is finished there are no long range plans for what to build next in the North King Subarea. East King will have projects (extend East Link to Redmond), Snohomish will have projects (extend North Link) and South Kind and Pierce will have projects (extend South Link). However if ST wants to put ST3 on the the ballot (projected around 2016) then North King (Seattle) will need something for it's money to be spent on. This plan does not see itself at odds with Sound Transit, but instead as a way for the city to both contribute extra to build out the Seattle portions sooner, but to also have some leverage on where and what ST builds in the city.

Quote:
The city taxpayers just rejected a transportation issue at the ballot box, and building subways is really, really expensive. The city can't seem to keep potholes fixed, they've limited library hours, cut back on park maintenance.
Yeah, but what did Prop 1 actually pay for? The money got split up into so many different pots that there was no real project that people could rally behind.

Quote:
I like the idea and I hope it happens. But the way things seem to work in the city- they'll argue about it for the next forty years.
Then join at Seattle Subway and see what you can do to make it a reality in our lifetimes.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Yes this is a real proposal. Go to Seattle Subway to sign up for the mailing list and learn what you can do to make this happen.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 AM

5,566 posts, read 6,441,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
Once ST2 is finished there are no long range plans for what to build next in the North King Subarea. East King will have projects (extend East Link to Redmond), Snohomish will have projects (extend North Link) and South Kind and Pierce will have projects (extend South Link). However if ST wants to put ST3 on the the ballot (projected around 2016) then North King (Seattle) will need something for it's money to be spent on. This plan does not see itself at odds with Sound Transit, but instead as a way for the city to both contribute extra to build out the Seattle portions sooner, but to also have some leverage on where and what ST builds in the city.
So they've resolved the issue with the ST South/Pierce Link? Because last time I heard, they announced that they would stop at the Highline CC station as they didn't have any more money to build the rest of it. Federal Way was mulling about suing ST.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
So they've resolved the issue with the ST South/Pierce Link? Because last time I heard, they announced that they would stop at the Highline CC station as they didn't have any more money to build the rest of it. Federal Way was mulling about suing ST.
No they haven't. The recession means that ST2 will likely not provide the funds necessary to go as far South as originally projected. ST3 would cover the shortfall and go a bit further South.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 PM

331 posts, read 644,520 times
I know this is a stupid question, but why can't somebody like Bill Gates just pay for the whole thing and take a percentage of the revenue? It would create jobs and relieve some of the traffic. A better question is why didn't light rail/subways get built 10 20 30 years ago? Wasn't it pretty obvious that the Seattle metro was going to grow? I realize money is always the issue but aren't there many other cities with similar populations that have light rail/subways in place already? If they only approved Steve Dunne's proposal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area