Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I have to agree that the OP sounds like he/she has more than just SAD ... may want to reconsider your life plans if you are so afraid of living on your own. Look, we all live with uncertainty in our lives. That is a constant throughout the whole world. Financial uncertainty, career uncertainty, loneliness, fear of random acts of violence, accidents, etc.

If you do have SAD then there is a 100% chance you will hate it in Seattle for 7 months out of the year, but it is what you make of it (in addition to any medication or vitamin supplements that might help). For example, yes, it is overcast a lot of the time in Seattle in the winter, but that allows for vibrant green foliage the spring and much of the summer. It also feeds the streams for fish and nature. That allows you go to on hikes and enjoy it and in the winter you can enjoy snow and skiing in the mountains while only having to worry about an annoying mist in the lowlands.

It does sound like you need to work on looking on the silver lining and good nature of stuff.
Lol, afraid of living on my own? Man, I'm 38 and I live alone since age 15. I lived through 15 years of immigration on my own (including places like Bronx), and war back home on my own. Certainly, I'm not the one who's afraid of it. Please don't lecture me on looking at silver lining and good nature--I've seen more stuff happen than you probably would see in 4 of your lifetimes and know that I need no illusions about the world and stupid silver lining expectations, I like REALITY.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
If you like reality, then please re-read your posts and see what everyone else is seeing. People are responding to what you are saying. You seem to want us to tell you that you will not be affected by SAD in Seattle when we live here, know how cloudy it is and tell you that either you need to find a way to address SAD, or find another (sunnier) place. If you are absolutely committed to the West Coast, then I would think you would be looking at other options if a failed move will be so devastating financially. Otherwise, move to Seattle with a plan to address SAD. You've already told us in every post that you know you will suffer from it. Eskercurve was just being logical, so was mrman and everyone else. You do seem troubled and I'm not sure that moving to Seattle is the solution. It's illogical to go to a plan you know will negatively affect your health and ask people to tell you it won't.

Last edited by Seacove; 12-11-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If you like reality, then please re-read your posts and see what everyone else is seeing. People are responding to what you are saying. You seem to want us to tell you that you will not be affected by SAD in Seattle when we live here, know how cloudy it is and tell you that either you need to find a way to address SAD, or find another (sunnier) place. If you are absolutely committed to the West Coast, then I would think you would be looking at other options if a failed move will be so devastating financially. Otherwise, move to Seattle with a plan to address SAD. You've already told us in every post that you know you will suffer from it. Eskercurve was just being logical, so was mrman, etc. You do seem troubled and I'm not sure that moving to Seattle is the solution. It's illogical to go to a plan you know will negatively affect your health and ask people to tell you it won't.
You seem troubled to me, sir/mam.
I do not need condescending attitude, especially from those with very limited life experience, obviously.
Excuse me, where did I say that I expect people to confirm that I wouldn't be affected by SAD in Seattle? Where? I did not say this anywhere. In fact, I came here to receive factual information, and this is obvious for anyone who can read.
Where in my posts did I deny that SAD can be a real problem in Seattle? No need to put words in my mouth.
If you want to insult--do not bother to reply here.
If you are unable to restrain yourself from personal attacks, insulting labels and negative personal innuendos, stay away and reply in another thread--because I will respond accordingly if you try to talk down to me.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Good luck and take care.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:29 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Uh ... strange, I got the feeling folks on the forum were being anything BUT condescending, insulting and negative to the OP. Rather, that we were being helpful and realistic in addressing his/her concerns. Puts me in mind of the saying "no good deed goes unpunished"!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I was camping alone. I do have 3-season tent with full rain fly, and waterproof clothing and boots. My stuff is good to camp in PNW as well... i mean I was as prepared as it gets... there was no way to set up a tarp above the tent, there were not enough trees for that. what I'm saying can't deal with wet and cold camping... hands unusually sensitive to cold, can't stand mud and wetness inside the tent. It was early October actually, not summer, when I was camping in the storm... my impression was that camping in Western WA ends in mid-September when rains arrive (and many campgrounds get closed).
Camping season doesn't end until any person decides for themselves that they're finished for the year. You've made it very clear that you can't deal with cold, rain and all that it comes with-- so obviously, for yourself: Since summer here is our driest season, you've just limited yourself to summer (all 2 months of it).

I think it's weird given to your issues with coldness, rain and SAD that you would still consider moving up here. Would 2 months of nice and glorious summers be worth the rest of the year to you? There's been some years where summer never came and it never got warm enough, would it still be worth it to you?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM

328 posts, read 839,171 times
Here's the "reality": Seattle's climate is damp and cloudy eight to ten months of the year. A lot of people don't do well with it. Those who know they can't deal with this should consider locating elsewhere.

Speaking for myself, I don't look forward to yet another person moving here only to find it was a mistake. Then complaining about how the weather "sucks" and the people "suck" and yada yada yada. Yes, it's one's right to do so, but to what end? It escapes me why one would put themselves in such a position.

I mean this with good intentions and I'm not trying to scare you - but based on your posts, I don't think you will be happy here.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Uh ... strange, I got the feeling folks on the forum were being anything BUT condescending, insulting and negative to the OP. Rather, that we were being helpful and realistic in addressing his/her concerns. Puts me in mind of the saying "no good deed goes unpunished"!
May be YOU got this feeling--but ME got a very certain feeling of condescending vibe from certain posters, as they posted about ME. Please start your own thread if you want to find someone for flaming session on Sunday.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 21,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If you like reality, then please re-read your posts and see what everyone else is seeing. People are responding to what you are saying. You seem to want us to tell you that you will not be affected by SAD in Seattle when we live here, know how cloudy it is and tell you that either you need to find a way to address SAD, or find another (sunnier) place. If you are absolutely committed to the West Coast, then I would think you would be looking at other options if a failed move will be so devastating financially. Otherwise, move to Seattle with a plan to address SAD. You've already told us in every post that you know you will suffer from it. Eskercurve was just being logical, so was mrman and everyone else. You do seem troubled and I'm not sure that moving to Seattle is the solution. It's illogical to go to a plan you know will negatively affect your health and ask people to tell you it won't.
Seacove was not consdescending at all and far from trying to insult you..........in fact, s/he was trying to help. Your reaction is an overreaction. Seattle people are nothing if not kind and willing to help. No one here is trying to put you down or attack you. You are being giving useful info including what Seacove was pointing out.......that there is a pattern to the interaction here that might prove useful for you to see and understand.

As for Seattle, it can be dark and gloomy during the winter.....that is a given. However, for me, it was a safe haven at a time when I was experiencing a great deal of fear. The sanity that pervades this city helped me to heal. And yes, its true that Seattlites suffer from a social dis-ease..........in fact, there was an article in the Seattle Times about it:

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

Frankly, I think its because the people are so celebral here.........Seattle is one of the most literate and degreed cities in the country. Intelligence sometimes leads to less risk taking and spontaneity. In any case, it can be hard to get close to people here.......but when you do, there is a sense they will be your friend for life.

Again, no one on this forum means you harm.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
Here's the "reality": Seattle's climate is damp and cloudy eight to ten months of the year. A lot of people don't do well with it. Those who know they can't deal with this should consider locating elsewhere.

Speaking for myself, I don't look forward to yet another person moving here only to find it was a mistake. Then complaining about how the weather "sucks" and the people "suck" and yada yada yada. Yes, it's one's right to do so, but to what end? It escapes me why one would put themselves in such a position.

I mean this with good intentions and I'm not trying to scare you - but based on your posts, I don't think you will be happy here.
As I only been to PNW during summers/early fall, it's hard to imagine the full impact of day-to-day dumpness and cold. But things may be different if you own your own property, with enough land and indoor space--this may compensate for the loss of nice-weather but limited living space kind of situation. I actually never lived in own house in cold and rainy climate, only in small city apartments--as I can buy a house near Seattle now, I feel the space may compensate for the drawbacks of the weather. It's nice to exercise outside, but it's also nice to have a garage where one can set up entire small private facility--something I can't afford where I am (in fact, hard to afford any privacy here at all). But yes, I definitely hear you about the effects of rainy weather almost year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area