Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,620 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know whether Boeing would be willing to change part of the contract that says you have to refund them relocation fees if you get fired within 12 months?
Seems risky to take the job under those circumstances, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,866,965 times
That's pretty standard with any company that pays relocation - it protects them too if you leave early. Do your job well and there's no chance of getting fired ... Boeing is like many large companies - you really have to mess up to get fired.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 AM

21,988 posts, read 15,598,988 times
Every time I've been relocated (not Boeing) I've had the twelve month stipulation. They are investing in you by paying for your relocation. That includes professional movers, packers, car transport and possibly temporary housing. What's to stop you from quitting once you get here?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,120,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
That's pretty standard with any company that pays relocation - it protects them too if you leave early. Do your job well and there's no chance of getting fired ... Boeing is like many large companies - you really have to mess up to get fired.
It has always been Boeing's history, -hire and fire. Before all the .com businesses come to Seattle, this was a Boeing town. They had a reputation of hiring and fireing. A person working there was advised never to go into debt because you never knew when you would get a pink slip. I've been there and experience that. At one time the lay-offs were so bad a large billboard was place on the West Seattle freeway 'The Last Person Leaving Seattle Turn Out The Lights'.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
It has always been Boeing's history, -hire and fire. Before all the .com businesses come to Seattle, this was a Boeing town. They had a reputation of hiring and fireing. A person working there was advised never to go into debt because you never knew when you would get a pink slip. I've been there and experience that. At one time the lay-offs were so bad a large billboard was place on the West Seattle freeway 'The Last Person Leaving Seattle Turn Out The Lights'.
That was 1969. While Boeing does have a history of laying off when times are bad, and moving people from places like Everett to Renton:
They wouldn't be offering you a position and paying for relocation if they thought they'd fire you prior to a year. You'd have to be massively incompetent for that to happen. And even then you'd be safe if they hired you for a position in upper management

Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,866,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You'd have to be massively incompetent for that to happen. And even then you'd be safe if they hired you for a position in upper management
You know Boeing so well ... massive management incompetence often results in a promotion

Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 AM

878 posts, read 1,647,003 times
I was unemployed in Georgia with time running out and desperate for a job back in May... I interviewed over the phone with a Boeing supplier here in Auburn and the end of the interview went like this...

"We don't pay relocation, but if you can make it out here, the job is yours."

3 weeks later I was here, started work, and now 7 months later I've made it through my probationary period and have all the full time benefits.

How's that for a risk? I paid my way out here and in case anyone is wondering, yes, I came to work every day and did the best job possible. Not once did I even think about blowing a golden opportunity.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:26 PM

224 posts, read 403,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I was unemployed in Georgia with time running out and desperate for a job back in May... I interviewed over the phone with a Boeing supplier here in Auburn and the end of the interview went like this...

"We don't pay relocation, but if you can make it out here, the job is yours."

3 weeks later I was here, started work, and now 7 months later I've made it through my probationary period and have all the full time benefits.

How's that for a risk? I paid my way out here and in case anyone is wondering, yes, I came to work every day and did the best job possible. Not once did I even think about blowing a golden opportunity.

Sometimes you have to take risks in order to survive. Awesome..

Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,312,053 times
So long as you're halfway competant you can make it. I would take the job. I work there and I know there's folks 1/4 competant have been there 30 years.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM

878 posts, read 1,647,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKENFOR View Post
Sometimes you have to take risks in order to survive. Awesome..
Thanks! The biggest risk I have ever taken in my life... and it has paid off.

I feel lucky... fortunate, and proud of myself all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area