Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 40,542 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Kansas in May, and looking for apartments in this general area.
I need to narrow my search, but it's difficult getting a "feel" for areas.

Wondering what people have to say about about each area in regards to job markets, neighborhoods, and overall "feel" of each of these cities, or surrounding areas.

I'm looking of places north or Kent, but south of Bellevue. We're looking for a small apartment $650 or less and we're both in our mid 20s, if that helps.

What is the general opinion of these areas? What are big attractions in each place? What do people do for fun? What are the biggest problems you see in each area?

I appreciate any input or advice! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
SeaTac= Airplane noise, lots of low income housing, has a reputation for prostitution, very ethnically diverse, doesn't seem to have any parts of it that are considered real nice.
Renton= large and varied. Has both some very nice and pretty bad parts. The western part of the Renton Highlands and the parts closer to Skyway are considered the less nice parts. Lots of places to dine and shop. Convenient to both DT Seattle and DT Bellevue, especially if you go at non rush hours or take the bus. Kennydale, Fairwood, and around the Landing are nicer.
Tukwila= Mostly focused around Southcenter Mall, boring but cheap. Lots of dining and entertainment choices. Stay away from places along International Blvd/Pacific Hwy, the part that borders Sea-Tac.
Des Moines: The closer to Puget Sound the better. Once again, avoid places along Pacific Hwy.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I really wouldn't recommend any of those unless you are brave and adventurous. Each will have some nicer areas but not in your price range
unless you really luck out. None has any particular attractions, other than being close to Seattle. I can think of the Museum of Flight and shopping malls but those don't seem all that interesting to 20s people.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
I would only live in renton out of those choices, and only if I'm buying a home. Apartments can be sketchy. other areas, they are not nice at all.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I really wouldn't recommend any of those unless you are brave and adventurous. Each will have some nicer areas but not in your price range
unless you really luck out. None has any particular attractions, other than being close to Seattle. I can think of the Museum of Flight and shopping malls but those don't seem all that interesting to 20s people.
This. All of these cities have some nice and not so nice areas. Your price range will land you in the not so nice areas.

The airport is located in Seatac, and Burien is directly north. Depending on which direction the planes are taking off and landing, you will hear airplane noise.

They are all mainly suburbs of Seattle with very little local flavor on their own.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie85 View Post
Relocating from Kansas .....We're looking for a small apartment $650 or less and we're both in our mid 20s, if that helps.
I don't know why you aimed so low price-range wise ($650 in KS is more like $800-$900 in SEA), but 2 working people in their mid-20's should be able to swing a higher-than-$650 rent in Seattle.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.
I realize $650 is a bit limiting, but I'm fully prepared to live below my means for a bit (both of us will be graduating in May and are unsure how long it will take to find jobs once in WA, in response to the last post.)
It's near impossible to judge any city without stepping foot in it, but every bit of info I can gather makes me feel a little better :-)

I've read a lot of positive things about Renton, so that's where I'm leaning. Thanks IRA500 for the tips!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:05 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:

I'm looking of places north or Kent, but south of Bellevue. We're looking for a small apartment $650 or less and we're both in our mid 20s, if that helps.

What is the general opinion of these areas?
I moved here from Savannah, GA in May for a job with a Boeing supplier and settled in Auburn (next to Kent) and I really like this area. I'm not that far from Renton.

I'm renting a place conveniently located on top of the hill overlooking Auburn with highway access to pretty much anywhere I need to go. I can leave the house and drive a mile to catch Hwy 18... going east takes me to I-90, going west takes me to Hwy 167 and I-5. I really like this area because I'm literally in the middle of everything... north to Seattle, south to Tacoma, and don't have traffic issues being that my work is also in Auburn.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 AM

After posting this, I started to look a little closer at the Auburn area. Seems like a pretty decent area, with lots of apartment choices *( looking into Pinehurst Manor, if anyone happens to have any opinions on that particular complex)

Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
After posting this, I started to look a little closer at the Auburn area. Seems like a pretty decent area, with lots of apartment choices *( looking into Pinehurst Manor, if anyone happens to have any opinions on that particular complex)
Walking distance to routine shopping, good access to both highways 18 and 167, crime mostly limited to vehicle break-ins. Can't say how that building itself is, but not in a bad area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area