Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

It's funny because although I am older now, in my younger days I was fond of black girls and had a very tough time meeting any (I am white). The ones that I did meet and date were of the opportunistic/materialistic variety. I am not Dash Riprock but I am not that bad either. I know they were out there but I couldn't find them. Eventually I wound up with an Asian girl.

I think the real answer is to go out and get what you want and not passively depend on things like geography. I am the least aggressive person you will ever meet but looking back, sometimes you have to be a little aggressive to reach your goals in life. And a corollary might be that sometimes you have to put up with some rejection to reach them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
22 year old female...eh go take your lumps in the big city and have some fun doing it. Portland is where 20-somethings go to retire (or never start to begin with). There's more opportunity in Seattle. Portland is a better bang for the buck if you're looking to settle down with the fam and have an already-established way in life and no longer care as much about the extras. I would never recommend a typical mainstream young single person to go flocking to Portland unless they had an "in" somewhere. There's just not nearly enough going on in that town to waste any time there, frankly.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 38,571 times
At furious, I'm sorry, but I'm just gonna be blunt I live in the south and white guys not only try having sex with me but dating me as well, I know this is not typical. Whatever. All I'm saying is, if I get along just fine here, I should get along even better there...it can not be somehow worse than in the south. I work in the public..I see so many biracial people here. Is there some sort of reversal there? I personally know several black women involved with non black men here and one is married...why would that be so impossible up north exactly?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 38,571 times
This thread is becoming about dating and asked about more than just that

Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM

24 posts, read 53,132 times
Well put, Wutitiz. The reason you likely ran into so many opportunistic and materialistic black girls in your youth is that Seattle did not afford the same level of opportunities that older cities like Boston gave to blacks in terms of education and employment, as it now does. That coupled with the fact that the Northwest was one of the last areas of the country where Blacks settled. And a little known fact is that it was once illegal for Blacks to live in Oregon. The rule was, you could pass through, but you had better be out by sundown. Times have changed considerably and you are more likely to find a larger pool of self-sufficient, intelligent women - including black women - living in the Northwest as the word has gotten out that it's a great place to live. C'est la vie.

Last edited by Count David; 12-30-2011 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: removed profile link

Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 PM

Caprigirl12, I'm no academician nor psychologist. I can only provide a personal point of view.

In terms of employment, Seattle seems to have a more stable economy than other areas of the country. Depending on the type of work you do, there are stable companies for employment from which to choose such as Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, Russell Investments, Starbucks and University of Washington to name a few. However, some top employers that were historically seen as permanent fixtures in the Seattle community went bust, like Washington Mutual and Seattle P-I. This has lead to a large pool of unemployed folks who have been knocking on doors for upwards to a year or more. You are quite young and I don't know what your educational background is, but if you have a college degree, you might have a decent chance of getting entry-level employment at one of the aforementioned companies. Otherwise, Starbucks is always looking for baristas in their shops.

Portland Oregon is in a bit sad state in terms of gainful employment. I know many college-educated -- some with Masters degrees -- that have moved to Seattle for a chance at work in a Whole Foods Market or Starbucks. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. The single life in Portland is not especially recommended for a single, adventurous female of any ethnic persuasion. In my humble opinion, unless you have an established network of friends in Portland, you'll find yourself wanting a richer cultural experience. Of the two cities, Seattle will offer a much richer experience.

Now back to the whole dating thing. Any girl that will put out for free love will have no trouble finding a man to sleep with, regardless of race, ethnicity, or geographic location. In fact, in the singles scene, Seattle is known to be quite the booty call of states. If a long-term commitment is what you are after, then you might seriously consider not moving to the Northwest. If you are just looking for a good time, by all means, book your flight.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Honestly, I've seen more BW/WM combo in Seattle than anywhere else and not all of them were young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious View Post
Portland Oregon is in a bit sad state in terms of gainful employment. I know many college-educated -- some with Masters degrees -- that have moved to Seattle for a chance at work in a Whole Foods Market or Starbucks. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. The single life in Portland is not especially recommended for a single, adventurous female of any ethnic persuasion. In my humble opinion, unless you have an established network of friends in Portland, you'll find yourself wanting a richer cultural experience. Of the two cities, Seattle will offer a much richer experience.
You mean Portland?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Have you lived anywhere other than the Northwest, Inkpoe, or are you a lifelong local? I say this because mostly all I see is BM/WF relationships, hardly the opposite. I see more BF/WM in the South than I see here. Enlighten me, please.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Yes. I have lived elsewhere and also visited (and some long term stays as well at) many other places. I have family in the South. So what of it?

I'm starting to think your issues are clouding your perception. Either that or you have to get out more.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 AM

We are all slaves to perception, there is no true reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: