Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you move from AZ to Seattle?
Stay in AZ, the heat is better than the rain! 12 27.27%
Stop burning yourself alive and move to the wet, green, PNW!! 32 72.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 20,593 times

Advertisements

So it hasn't quite been 6 months yet, but what do you think about Seatlle??? or would you rather come back to ARIZONA????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 PM

69 posts, read 155,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznicci View Post
Hello, These threads are a few months back but have you moved out of AZ yet to Washington? My husband and I are the same. I am 32 years of age and never been out of AZ. I am tired of it. My husband works out in the heat and he is finally ready to move. Seattle Washington has always been in our thoughts. I have heard what you said about the rain and freeze weather.... I think i can live with the drizzle any day rather then this 110 degree weather... i need a change bad. My son is 16 years old and daughter age 7, both
are ready to move as well because of the heat. The people here are rude, idiots, and just have no respect for one another (to me anyways) I would love to find out more about seattle washington... what is there to do as far as family time? I have also heard that the
cost of living is very expensive. From Arizona to Seattle, can anyone confirm this??? I
would LOVE to make this our last summer of hell and move by March 2013. Any advice???

I am the same age as you, and I'm trying to convince my wife to move to Seattle next year from here in Phoenix.

I'm curious as to the OP's experiences as well. I can say from looking into Seattle housing costs (renting and buying), that the cost of living is definitely a lot more. Based on limited available information, the pay is usually a bit higher as well....hard to say if it evens out, but I'm guessing it still comes up a bit short. I think anyone moving from Phoenix to Seattle just has to get used to a much smaller house/apartment.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM

30 posts, read 99,465 times
I have lived in both places and I'm a native Arizonan. I came back to Arizona to finish college, but I'm going back to Seattle in a little over a month. Reason 1: I hate any part of AZ south of Sedona. I'm extremely heat sensitive and can barely go outside during daylight in the summer. Reason 2: I've hit a dead-end in terms of career growth down here. Reason 3: I want to be around more like-minded people and lush natural beauty.
My experiences in Seattle were amazing. I didn't own a car while there and I didn't have any trouble getting around (however, I did live in Capitol Hill. Also, I don't have children). The people are pretty interesting. The city is clean and green. Great nightlife in individual neighborhoods rather than one or two hotspots. For whatever reason drunk people seem more fun to talk to up there than in PHX/Tempe/Tucson/Mesa. As a single, 20-somthing woman I felt safe up there.
The cost of living in Seattle is higher, but the wages are higher as well. I told a friend how much I make at my current place of employment and she laughed (she lives in Seattle). I located the same job in Seattle, and up there, I would making close to double what I make now.
As mentioned before, the rain really isn't the problem; it's the cloudiness. I do prefer to wear sweaters/jackets so the cold isn't too bad, but not seeing the sun for weeks can be difficult. To help combat depression and overall blahness, I stayed active, joined clubs, explored, etc.
Seattle Freeze: doesn't exist. Before I came to Tucson I remember reading about how hospitable and outgoing people in this city are. Nope. This is, by far, the worst place I have ever lived with the most rudest/closed off people. Yes, people in Seattle may seem a little reserved at first, but I had no trouble making a few close friends and acquaintances.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,743 times
HAHAHAHAH!! WE moved from Arizona 9 years ago to the PNW. I HATE it! STAY in AZ and book some short trips to northern AZ and get out of the heat. Or road trip to San Diego my friend. I'm in CDA and it is considered "nicer" weather than Seattle. Let me just say the NO SUN is depressing and I'd rather hug a cactus anyday than count the 30 in a row cloudy overcast CRAPPY days. I wondered why there were so many coffee stands. NOW I know.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 78,607 times
I moved to Seattle from Phoenix about 1 year ago...

Here are my thoughts:

People are going to think I'm crazy, but I think that people in Phoenix are SOOOO much nicer than in Seattle. There have been so many times that I am just appalled at how rude people are here. The type to do good deeds to make themselves feel good, then run your toe over and tell you to move out of the way. My coworkers constantly Moderator cut: expletive about things they could just take care of themselves in the amount of time they've spent Moderator cut: expletive and rarely offer help when someone clearly needs it. Sad.

It does rain as much as everyone says and the lack of sunlight sucks, but it sure beats $350 utility bills in August in Phx . It's not as cold as I thought it would be, though. The constant rain makes you REALLY appreciate it when it's nice out.

It's really expensive to live here. My house is half the size that it was in Phoenix for about $300 more a month. But again, my utility bills are nowhere near what they were in Phoenix. Cable tv is also much cheaper here.

Traffic SUCKS. I have stopped going many places I would just hop in the car and run to in Phoenix (like Target) because it's a long outing, just to get there. I take the bus to and from work and anytime I want to go downtown. You have to pay for parking just about everywhere.

I moved here to be around like-minded people--liberal, outdoors types but I have (personally, just my opinion) found people to be very closed minded, but with a liberal slant. To me, that's the same as the conservatives in Arizona, just opposite political beliefs. I like people who can think and see the other point of view instead of just claiming to be right about everything. And not to mention the guy next door to me, who lives in a 600k house, with two brand new (expensive) cars, all of which are covered in "We are the 99%" stickers... makes no sense to me.

The Seattle Freeze is very real. Most of my issue has been that I've mostly met people at work and everyone lives very far away from me. Maybe if I tried to make friends in my own neighborhood that would work better? Who knows. It was nice at first to get a break from everyone at home, but now it just sucks not knowing anyone.

My biggest complaint? The homeless people. There are homeless people in downtown Phx and in poorer neighborhoods, but in Seattle, they are EVERYWHERE. And they're very pushy and rude. I recently watched a man chase a couple down the Ave in the U District screaming about how he knew they could spare $3 and they better give it to him. They're outside most grocery stores and on a lot of corners in town. And a lot of them seem homeless by choice... think 23 year old boys who are clearly pandering for drug money.

Would I move back to Phoenix? Yes, but only after I've given Seattle a little longer to grow on me.

Just my two cents... haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznicci View Post
So it hasn't quite been 6 months yet, but what do you think about Seatlle??? or would you rather come back to ARIZONA????

Last edited by Count David; 05-04-2012 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: language (even starred out is against the TOS)

Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgest220 View Post
And not to mention the guy next door to me, who lives in a 600k house, with two brand new (expensive) cars, all of which are covered in "We are the 99%" stickers... makes no sense to me.
They feel like they are the 99%.

Last edited by Seacove; 05-03-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
They feel like they are the 99%.
They're probably basing it on their net worth (which is probably negative ).

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM

159 posts, read 428,217 times
Arizona south of Flagstaff is a wretched, wretched place -- the abode of the damned, as I generally refer to it.

We're moving to Seattle (I'm an author, and am free to live where I choose) in November to try it on for size. I've lived in New England for most of my life, and while I've never experienced constant cloudcover like the region is known for, I've seen my fair share of crappy weather.

If Seattle doesn't work out, I'll try Denver next. I was really smitten with Georgetown, just west of the city in the mountains. However, I think I'd miss the sea.

One thing is for certain, though: I will not miss Phoenix. Flagstaff? Definitely -- hell, if we lived there, we might not be leaving. But the valley is the pits. Ugly; polluted; hot; cultureless. Get out while you still can.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
They're probably basing it on their net worth (which is probably negative ).
Exactly!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Well, We lived in the PNW, moved to Phx, then back to WA then back here in this hot hell hole someone one else humorously referred to as a cat box. I moved back for a job, but if the economy allows it, I will once again return to Washington (the Seattle Area) and never move again. Man I miss trees...green lushness, and the beautiful Sound. The smell of Salt water, cute squirrels that eat out of your hand. Heck yeah I Miss it. All we have here in Lizards, Scorpions and Bedbugs..and a Giant Cat box to call home...but...the traffic is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area