Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,512,992 times

Advertisements

Hi. I love many, many things about Seattle, and will probably end up living here for the rest of my life. However, after having another child I've had this nagging urge to look at my options.

Things my husband and I LOVE about Seattle:
liberal, educated populace
views/nature
outdoors activities
family friendly (lots activities, museums, parks, etc... for kids)
dog parks, coffee shops, bookstores, independent shops, neighborhoods, etc...
low crime
religion is a private matter
lots of jobs
good local university

What we're MISSING:
proximity to East Coast (history, culture, family)
good public transportation (light rail, subway, etc..)
cheaper housing
fewer clouds

I used to live in Chapel Hill, NC and near Asheville, so am aware of those cities. Would anyone on these boards have other suggestions based on your direct experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:01 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,259,323 times
DC checks a lot of those boxes except for housing cost and natural beauty (as compared to seattle).

Crime is high statistically in DC but it is pretty contained. I lived for 2 years in DC and I have many friends there and crime is never something they have encountered.

At the end of my time in DC I really despised it but it was more of a personal thing and looking back, DC has a lot going for it.

I think though that you should stay in Seattle. It really is a gem of a city in the US. I wish I had a tech/cs background so I could move their easier. I envy you.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,512,992 times
Guess the grass is always greener, for if I had the money, I would move to the D.C. area in a heartbeat.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 AM

617 posts, read 1,197,065 times
There are probably no cities in the US that have both good transit and cheap housing. You might have to find some sort of medium.

Maybe...Minneapolis? It's not east coast though.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 AM

145 posts, read 263,839 times
Louisville, KY!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM

353 posts, read 931,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
There are probably no cities in the US that have both good transit and cheap housing.
I agree. Good transit usually means big city, which usually means expensive housing.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Guess the grass is always greener, for if I had the money, I would move to the D.C. area in a heartbeat.
Did you grow up in the NE and are missing home?

I grew up in the NE and there is nothing like seattle and SF. It is like another planet compared to DC, NYC, Philly, and Bmore.

I've been trying actively for over two years to try to move to sf or seattle. Atleast with SF, I get interviews and get close to landing a position....I have never gotten a call back for a seattle/bellevue position and it's really depressing as I worry I'll never be able to live there.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM

710 posts, read 1,394,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Did you grow up in the NE and are missing home?

I grew up in the NE and there is nothing like seattle and SF. It is like another planet compared to DC, NYC, Philly, and Bmore.

I've been trying actively for over two years to try to move to sf or seattle. Atleast with SF, I get interviews and get close to landing a position....I have never gotten a call back for a seattle/bellevue position and it's really depressing as I worry I'll never be able to live there.
Same boat as me, although I have a science/tech background, but not programming, etc. I've just saved for the past few years and just up and moving in April. Exciting, but scary, but I have to do it! I know a couple of people there now, so that helps. As far as a job goes, if I get one before April, then great, but I'm not counting on it. Seattle is the only city other than Denver I have ever got callbacks, and they usually result in phone interviews and nothing more. However, I figure if the interest is there out of state, then the move will probably make me more appealing

I'll be enroling at UW in a graduate certificate program in the Autumn, so worse case scenario is I lose some money but at least I further my education if I can't find a job in a year...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Same boat as me, although I have a science/tech background, but not programming, etc. I've just saved for the past few years and just up and moving in April. Exciting, but scary, but I have to do it! I know a couple of people there now, so that helps. As far as a job goes, if I get one before April, then great, but I'm not counting on it. Seattle is the only city other than Denver I have ever got callbacks, and they usually result in phone interviews and nothing more. However, I figure if the interest is there out of state, then the move will probably make me more appealing

I'll be enroling at UW in a graduate certificate program in the Autumn, so worse case scenario is I lose some money but at least I further my education if I can't find a job in a year...
goodluck.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM

145 posts, read 263,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post

Good move! At times you just gotta go for it. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area