Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 PM

51 posts, read 261,729 times

Advertisements

Sure it's beating a dead horse, but I figure I'll throw my two cents in just because I can.

One Seattle adage always comes to mind when reading these posts - 'you can always tell a tourist apart from the locals in Seattle. The tourist is the one carrying the umbrella.' This seems, to me, to sum up this and so many other Seattle weather threads. Theres a few ways to interpret this, the first being that Seattlites are simply used to the rain and don't mind getting wet.

The second way, and the way I prefer, is that the locals don't see clouds and automatically assume rain as many out-of-towners do. As has been mentioned so many times before, our rainfall numbers aren't all that abnormal. Rather, the clouds are what give the city it's dreary reputation. More often then not, it'll just end up being a gray but rain free day. Sure there are exceptions to this (January of 2006 comes to mind...), but this seems to be the general rule.

Even so, it's all a matter of perspective - I tend to come out of my shell in days similar to the photos starting this thread, much more so than I would if it were 110 degrees out with 80% humidity. And if the rain bothers you in the winter, theres ways to beat it - drive 45-60 minutes east(ish) and you're at Snoqualmie pass, Crystal mountain, Stevens pass, White pass, etc. There's definitely no lack of winter activities in the area. But to each his own, I guess.

Did I stray off topic? I think I did. Just saying, there's much more to this city than the weather - shouldn't count it out simply because it gets cloudy 300 days a year.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfseattle View Post
it gets cloudy 300 days a year.
I disagree. It's sunny 71 days, partly cloudy 93 days and cloudy 201 days
In Miami it's sunny 74 days, partly cloudy 175, cloudy 115
Pittsburgh is worse than Seattle - 59 sunny, 103 partly cloudy and 203 cloudy

Last edited by Botev1912; 09-06-2007 at 02:24 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 AM

51 posts, read 261,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I disagree. It's sunny 71 days, partly cloudy 93 days and cloudy 201 days
In Miami it's sunny 74 days, partly cloudy 175, cloudy 115
Pittsburgh is worse than Seattle - 59 sunny, 103 partly cloudy and 203 cloudy
Technically speaking, I COULD make the argument that a partly cloudy day is still a cloudy day, in which case I was really only 6 days off.

But I won't.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
From what I know - my husband told me before I moved up here - that Seattle is also the only city he knows of that has the words "Sun Breaks" as a weather reference!

How sad - when we get excited that we get a SUN BREAK!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM

77 posts, read 340,145 times
While no longer puzzled or surprised to see it, I'd like to just comment on the fact that Seattle is one of those cities where people feel the need to go gather statistics on how it's not the rainiest, cloudiest, etc, city.

Just personal observation:
Western WA summers tend to be clear, they can actually get hot for days to weeks at a time -- by hot, I mean mid to upper 80's -- rare to see it break 90, but it happens.
Western WA, from September through April/May or so looks monochromatic regardless of whether it's raining or not.
Often, you don't even notice the rain; sometimes, one's reaction is "oh, it rained" when seeing that the ground's wet.
The greenery thrives here, but the overcast skies tend to make much of the year seem gloomy -- this affects some people's moods more than others.

While some complain about the weather, I'm more inclined to roll my eyes at the compulsion local people have to turn the topic into a statistical argument than to worry about the weather itself that much.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,450 times
Default Look, people

I never said anybody was 'disloyal' or anything else. All I was pointing out that in order to get an accurate picture of what the weather actually is like, you'll need to not get all of your information from people who can't stand it, as jenbear, sirroco, geometric et al clearly can't.

Hating the weather here doesn't make you disloyal at all - it makes you hate the climate, which is fine. It doesn't make you an accurate reporter on the weather, however, and the original post was, as my earlier post pointed out, as disingenuous as the chamber-of-commerce crystalline photos.

Just like people who love the weather in Phoenix say "but it's a dry heat!"... and the people who hate it say "It's like a furnace"... you'll need to get a bit more perspective than either extreme will provide you.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I never said anybody was 'disloyal' or anything else. All I was pointing out that in order to get an accurate picture of what the weather actually is like, you'll need to not get all of your information from people who can't stand it, as jenbear, sirroco, geometric et al clearly can't.

Hating the weather here doesn't make you disloyal at all - it makes you hate the climate, which is fine. It doesn't make you an accurate reporter on the weather, however, and the original post was, as my earlier post pointed out, as disingenuous as the chamber-of-commerce crystalline photos.

Just like people who love the weather in Phoenix say "but it's a dry heat!"... and the people who hate it say "It's like a furnace"... you'll need to get a bit more perspective than either extreme will provide you.
Bewildering complaint about lack of modern HVAC -- I'll lay claim to that one; however, have you seen me bemoaning the rain? You bring that up and then splice the two together to try to make it sound illogical, when, really, you're taking a cross section of multiple people's opinions.

In fact, I prefer fall-spring because it's actually comfortable and I don't mind the rain -- what I don't like about Seattle has more to do with social attitudes (such as the need to argue so vehemently that Seattle's ecotopia, love it or leave it, that some people have).

Anyway, what gives? Are you hoping more people move to Seattle so you can make more friends?

Or, what I think is more likely, to some people, a move to Seattle is supposed to show a level of personal discernment and capability to pick "the best place" to live and any chinks in that illusion are seen as an affront to one's decision making ability -- sound right?

Just wondering.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometricdisaster View Post
Bewildering complaint about lack of modern HVAC -- I'll lay claim to that one; however, have you seen me bemoaning the rain? You bring that up and then splice the two together to try to make it sound illogical, when, really, you're taking a cross section of multiple people's opinions.

In fact, I prefer fall-spring because it's actually comfortable and I don't mind the rain -- what I don't like about Seattle has more to do with social attitudes (such as the need to argue so vehemently that Seattle's ecotopia, love it or leave it, that some people have).

Anyway, what gives? Are you hoping more people move to Seattle so you can make more friends?

Or, what I think is more likely, to some people, a move to Seattle is supposed to show a level of personal discernment and capability to pick "the best place" to live and any chinks in that illusion are seen as an affront to one's decision making ability -- sound right?

Just wondering.
Oh jesus christ here we go.....

Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Back on topic: it rains here, no, Seattle's not the rainiest city in the country; sometimes Seattle looks like pwright's pictures (in the summer, especially); sometimes it looks like the pics on this thread. Neither set appears faked in any way. Anyone who's looking to get an idea about the variances of
Seattle's weather should look at both.

Big deal.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2007 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: off topic/personal part removed

Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,457 times
Not to interrupt the current banter going on, just wanted to comment that the pics on the gray/rainy days are as beautiful to me as the sunny/clear sky ones are. Climate preference is a very subjective thing and I am personally glad we all have different ideas of what the "perfect place" is. Otherwise, we would all be living in the same city on top of each other, eek!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area