Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,817,265 times

Advertisements

Probably not quite your cup of tea, but check out downtown Everett before committing to anything in Seattle.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,871,726 times
I would venture to say your husband would be one of the few people commuting from Seattle to Monroe! I agree with a previous poster about times. I would say a minimum of an hour in morning commute - more like 90 minutes coming back home. That's two and a half hours out of a day sitting in a car. You said he had a potential job in West Seattle - is it too late? Taking that job would give you the big city experience you want and a commute of probably 10 minutes or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,769,513 times
Well - I say why split hairs? If you're going to commute, why bother over 15 minutes here or there? Rent in the area you think you want to live in and see if you can hack it. If you can - win! If not, then find another area and move a little closer.

I lived on the eastside for yeeeears because I work there and hate commuting. Finally I decided to move westside and see how long it took me to hate my commute enough to find a job on the other side of the lake. Interestingly it only takes me 7 more minutes to commute from Cap Hill than it did from Bellevue. Still working on hating that commute....

Just FYI - in decent traffic, I can get from Capitol Hill to Monroe in 35-40 minutes. That is taking 520 to 405N and then 522. Not sure what peak commute times would be like, but if you're willing to pay the toll, you'll have 520 practically to yourself.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,952 times
Thanks for the advice. I think Everett is out of the question. I've been there and I'm not feeling it I like your optimism, Kayela! I just worry that we end up moving to Seattle and my husband's commute is so horrendous that we end up moving somewhere we hate. He ended up taking the Monroe job over the West Seattle job because he will be working for a more well known health system (Providence Health), with a better salary, better benefits, better coworkers, better overall clinic. We went back and forth on the decision and trust me it was hard. Living and working in West Seattle would be amazing for him but he ended up thinking that the better workplace would be worth the commute. I told him to expect at least an hour commute.

Thankfully he will only be going to Monroe 4 days a week, and he will be working later in the evenings so perhaps the evening commute won't be as bad?

I am happy to hear that you can get from Capitol Hill to Monroe in about 40 mins. I hear the 520 bridge will be open now with the tolls and I am willing to pay the tolls for him to have less of a commute. However, I hear 405 is a nightmare. Would this even be true for the northbound lanes in the morning? I found an area called "Montlake" with some affordable houses that we might look at. Is that a nice area? Looks like it is convenient to get on 520 from there. I just worry that Eastside traffic will be horrendous. The problem is I've only been to Seattle once and we are flying up there for a week in April to "house hunt". I guess we will just have to "practice" the commute from various routes to get a sense of where we could live.

I just hope to somehow find a happy medium between commute time and neighborhood. The only problem is I have yet to find a job there and who knows where that will end up being!!!

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,220 posts, read 80,386,269 times
Montlake, Madison Park and Windermere are the closest to the bridge, but also expensive. If you are willing to pay the toll your commute would be smooth sailing to 405, terrible to 522, then not too bad from Woodinville/Bothell to Monroe. I think you might make it in 45-50 minutes
with backups only bad on 405 and that's only a few miles. You will not like Lake City unless you get well off of Lake City Way which is a bunch of shabby used car dealers and sketchy apartments. Also, you would have to commmute down Lake City Way which has always been bad but now has more people avoiding the bridge toll. I can't see getting from Capitol Hill to Monroe in 40 minutes. Maybe at 4am with no cops around.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,871,726 times
Regarding the 40 minute drive from Capitol Hill to Monroe ... I would venture to say this is possible early Sunday morning. Regarding Montlake - it is a very nice neighborhood - with very easy access to 520.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,819,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can't see getting from Capitol Hill to Monroe in 40 minutes. Maybe at 4am with no cops around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Regarding the 40 minute drive from Capitol Hill to Monroe ... I would venture to say this is possible early Sunday morning. Regarding Montlake - it is a very nice neighborhood - with very easy access to 520.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Just FYI - in decent traffic, I can get from Capitol Hill to Monroe in 35-40 minutes. That is taking 520 to 405N and then 522. Not sure what peak commute times would be like, but if you're willing to pay the toll, you'll have 520 practically to yourself.
She's basically said during non-peak hours, but with some traffic.

OP, do check out the link I posted earlier to see what to expect.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,370,249 times
I drive from beacon hill to monroe all the time, I did so today, from monroe to beacon hill, in sesattle. It took my 50 mins when i left at 3pm, and traffic was starting to pile up at 405. it normally takes about 38-40 mins for me, without traffic and going about 2-5 mph over the speed limit. anything from 4pm to 6pm, it will take about 1.5 hours, as 405 is really bad. same if you go thru kenmore and then lake city way.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 19,952 times
Thanks ya'll. I'm getting a bit disappointed that perhaps we won't be able to end up living in Seattle. It sounds like perhaps the commute TO monroe could be 50 mins. - 1 hour... But the commute BACK is the real monster. Is this right? I have been told he will be doing a reverse commute but I guess the issue is with the traffic on 405? Do you all think that trying to live in North Seattle (around Greenwood) and taking 5 north to Monroe that way would be shorter at all??

And yes, Inkpoe I am definitely going to check out those links you posted. They will be extremely helpful... I really appreciate it. I am just trying to find a good time where I can watch the traffic cams during peak commuting hours. I currently live in the Mountain time zone so I need to time it right so that I can see the traffic on West Coast time.

I need to basically not become too discouraged until my husband and I actually get out there and "practice" these commutes. Thanks for all of your help!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,819,190 times
Yes, that's the way of life here... not just from Monroe to Seattle... but Evening rushes everywhere are always worser than the morning rushes. Its kinda odd.

The only problem with taking i5 North is that he still has to go down 405 to get to Monroe. There really isn't any convenient back roads to take to Monroe other than 522.

Pacific Time is one hour behind Mountain time. So if its 8 o'clock where you live, it'll be 7 here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area