Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I worked on the waterfront streetcar, and on a busy day with lots of tourists, it would take us all of 25 minutes to go a mile and a half. If they'd supplied me with a whip, we probably could have stayed on schedule.
The streetcar replacement, 99 bus is that way now. I finally gave up trying to use it and get to my bus in time, and now walk the mile to the transit tunnel. Tales me about 20 minutes, the 99 takes that long or more, especially during the summer tourist season. The additional benefit is getting on at Westlake instead of International District, many more empty seats when I get on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,443,677 times
I hope this doesn't slow boardings downtown, but I think that it will.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,651,214 times
I don't know how many times I got off the bus outside the ride-free area without paying before finding out I was meant to pay! None of the drivers ever said anything.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I hope this doesn't slow boardings downtown, but I think that it will.

Yeah, but it will speed things up when de-boarding. And most people will get the hang of things after a couple of weeks.......a uniform policy is a lot less confusing.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM

204 posts, read 907,191 times
I lived car free near the ID and riding the bus was a almost daily activity. The ride free zone really slowed down everything and didn't make a ton of sense to me as every other city I've lived in was pay as you board and no free rides.

The ride through downtown was often slowed down by the number of people who would ride two or three stops and then get off; I'm guessing the reality of having to pay a few dollars to ride a few blocks might keep those people from slowing down the trip through downtown. One of the reasons given for the ride free zone was to benefit tourists, but I rarely encountered tourists when riding the bus plus Seattle's downtown is fairly walkable.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, but it will speed things up when de-boarding. And most people will get the hang of things after a couple of weeks.......a uniform policy is a lot less confusing.
I dunno ... maybe if they do away with cash fares entirely and make Orca mandatory. Otherwise, 12 people paying cash at 3rd and union is going to take quite a while. Plus you are eliminating the back doors for entry.

I can see a lot of backups in the tunnel. But, I'm sure a solution will be found. Transit in Seattle is pretty innovative and efficient for the U.S.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

457 posts, read 1,341,061 times
good, i'm tired of those lazy fools who ride one block just because they can

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I dunno ... maybe if they do away with cash fares entirely and make Orca mandatory. Otherwise, 12 people paying cash at 3rd and union is going to take quite a while. Plus you are eliminating the back doors for entry.

I can see a lot of backups in the tunnel. But, I'm sure a solution will be found. Transit in Seattle is pretty innovative and efficient for the U.S.

No.....I do not agree.

I drove for Metro for about 11 years. Metro is run by a bunch of head-in-the-sand paperpushers. Well known problems are ignored and very good, innovative ideas are regularly shot down.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
[/b]

No.....I do not agree.

I drove for Metro for about 11 years. Metro is run by a bunch of head-in-the-sand paperpushers. Well known problems are ignored and very good, innovative ideas are regularly shot down.
Well then you would know better than me.

I was talking about from a rider's standpoint. Metro and ST (and community transit, when I rode them as part of my commute) certainly appear to be efficient and effective.

I lived nearly car-free in Seattle for a while, which is damn near impossible here in Baltimore, a city of almost the same size, with higher density. It's also adjacent to one of the most transit-rich cities in the U.S., Washington, but there is no coordination in systems.

All I'm saying is - if you think you have it bad out there, take a trip to some other similarly-sized places in the U.S. and see how they do it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM

413 posts, read 786,275 times
Quote:
Yep, you are right on.

I drove for Metro for about 11 years. Man, the amount of problems that came from the RFA.

I have rode a lot of public transit......do not remember any other with a RFA.......people will get used to it.
Portland had a similar free ride area downtown which they recently phased out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area