U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,249,218 times

Advertisements

Seattle mayor says NBA team, arena are ‘serious’ possibilities | Seattle PI Sports Blog - seattlepi.com

thoughts? I think its a great idea, I miss watching basketball games here. I would of watched much more games when the sonics were here, but it was a huge problem getting there. its either driving to key aerna with huge traffic, parking, or take the metro bus and switch busses a few times to get home. if they build this thing next to safeco, many people can take the light rail, sounder, etc. if light rail expands to bellevue and all around, i can see this becoming a success.

the proposed location is much better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM

505 posts, read 792,309 times
I would love this, I've always been a huge Basketball fan and the year I move to Seattle they move the Sonics to OKC...tell me about bad timing :-) Would be great if they'd just move the Thunder back to Seattle.

From a location point of view Key Arena is great for me, but I can see how there must have been traffic problems during Sonics games. I went to a few college games and the Storm and Denny is always blocked back to almost Capitol Hill. And admittedly. compared to the other NBA arenas I've been to (Boston Garden, Staples Center and Rose Garden) it looks a little small and dated...

Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM

8,329 posts, read 14,847,588 times
I'm all for it. And an NHL franchise too? Bring it.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,747,608 times
I had Sonics season tickets for 17 years ... since they've left, I haven't missed pro basketball at all. Don't care one bit if NBA returns.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
I would love this, I've always been a huge Basketball fan and the year I move to Seattle they move the Sonics to OKC...tell me about bad timing :-) Would be great if they'd just move the Thunder back to Seattle.

From a location point of view Key Arena is great for me, but I can see how there must have been traffic problems during Sonics games. I went to a few college games and the Storm and Denny is always blocked back to almost Capitol Hill. And admittedly. compared to the other NBA arenas I've been to (Boston Garden, Staples Center and Rose Garden) it looks a little small and dated...

yea, I been to the wachovia center (sixers), TD garden (celtics), rose garden, and the sonics key aerna. The Key was the worse as far as transportation wise. all the other places I took light rail or the subway, which was much smoother. I hope they will complete this and get any team here...

even if its a loosing team, I still went to games to watch the other players come to play. when the sonics were here and they wernt that good, i still came to watch kobe, yao, tmac, tim duncan, KG, AI, etc etc... it was so much fun even if we lost.. like i said.. getting there and back was a major issue.. busses will get stuck in traffic with the rest of the cars!!

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM

13,519 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Even though I love basketball, I would say that the NBA is too much of a cluster right now to bring them back. Remember what Paul Allen said when he was going to sell the Blazers: (paraphrase, but close): 'the model is broken.'

Suppose that a stadium is built totally with private funds. How long before the team starts bleeding red ink, and goes to Olypmia for a bailout? If it was too much for Allen, one of the richest men in the world, how is this SF hedge fund guy going to hang?

Secondly, remember what got the Sonics in trouble in the first place. KeyArena was considered ok until Quest & Safeco came along, and took all the corp. lux. box business. What happens if a new NBA/NHL palace is built, and takes all the lux box trade? Bingo--the Seahawks and M's start bleeding, and they are in Olympia demanding a bailout.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Even though I love basketball, I would say that the NBA is too much of a cluster right now to bring them back. Remember what Paul Allen said when he was going to sell the Blazers: (paraphrase, but close): 'the model is broken.'

Suppose that a stadium is built totally with private funds. How long before the team starts bleeding red ink, and goes to Olypmia for a bailout? If it was too much for Allen, one of the richest men in the world, how is this SF hedge fund guy going to hang?

Secondly, remember what got the Sonics in trouble in the first place. KeyArena was considered ok until Quest & Safeco came along, and took all the corp. lux. box business. What happens if a new NBA/NHL palace is built, and takes all the lux box trade? Bingo--the Seahawks and M's start bleeding, and they are in Olympia demanding a bailout.

good points.. from what i read here :

NBA Lockout: Are NBA Teams Really Losing Money?

22 teams out of 30 are loosing money, i think the only ones that make money is the big market teams in big cities. the teams that lost money, such as the sonics, now the kings, the team wants to move, but for the most part the citizens of the cities want the team to stay. I think even if a team is not doing great, and loosing money, people would still want them here. People need entertainment, some kind of distraction, happiness.... its enough stress in life already.

can you imagine seattle without the seahawks, mariners, sounders? people would get so bored, sports bars/restaurants will loose tons of revenue.

for myself.. bring the worst nba team here, i dont care. I would still go and see the other teams play.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM

8,329 posts, read 14,847,588 times
I saw my first Sonics game in the Kingdome, I don't even know what year, but it was after the championship season, Sikma was on the team. He had a big blonde perm and kinda looked like a disco Frankenstein.I think professional sports franchises are good for a city. I'm not usually in the mood to subsidize billionaires when it comes to building them stadiums or arenas, but if somebody comes in with private funds and a minimum of taxpayer dollars? Why not? Because they might come back in a few years and try to extract money from the city? it's not working so much anymore. Cities are broke. And I agree, it doesn't matter if the team we get stinks. Teams get better. Again, I hope it happens.I'd even by stock in the team if it came to that, like the way the Green Bay Packers are financed.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,747,608 times
This hedge fund guy sounds too much like Jeff Smulyan who bought the Mariners in the late 80's - didn't have enough money to keep things going and nearly moved them to Florida. Just haven't heard enough to convince me he can make it work without significant government help - all he's done is bought an old building.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM

271 posts, read 780,985 times
They should come only IF no taxes are used to pay for the millionaires playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area