Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I will admit those East Side suburbs of Seattle do offer good schools, but honestly the Seattle city limits schools have plenty of great options too. I don’t really think there is that much of a disparity in reality.
That's easy for you to say... You don't know anything about our schools/districts here. You never even attended schools here. Do your research on the school districts in the area and get back to us.

Quote:
Also, the actual colleges/universities are much better in Seattle city limits compared to those in the suburbs. University of Washington in Seattle is one of the best colleges in the USA.
Except... no one is talking about college education here. You do realize its now harder for local kids to be accepted to UW now?

Quote:
Also, the city of Seattle is rated one of the most educated cities in the USA(in the top 5), such as for percentage of people with colleges degrees. So that is one way that proves Seattle has good aspects about it for this education topic.
"Proves Seattle has good aspects about if for this education topic"... Actually... what exactly does it prove? If you're saying all those educated folks are from Seattle-- then your reasoning is severely flawed: Given the City of Seattle is what.. 70% transplants, 30% natives. If you're going to say, having all those educated people enhance the school system-- you do realize you're actually giving the edge to Bellevue, right?

Quote:
I still think Seattle city limits is a better place to raise kids than suburbs, with very few excptions. There are many aspects to the quality of life the children parents have and their upbringing.
Fine... you go do that. No one is stopping you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
That's easy for you to say... You don't know anything about our schools/districts here. You never even attended schools here. Do your research on the school districts in the area and get back to us.

Except... no one is talking about college education here. You do realize its now harder for local kids to be accepted to UW now?

"Proves Seattle has good aspects about if for this education topic"... Actually... what exactly does it prove? If you're saying all those educated folks are from Seattle-- then your reasoning is severely flawed: Given the City of Seattle is what.. 70% transplants, 30% natives. If you're going to say, having all those educated people enhance the school system-- you do realize you're actually giving the edge to Bellevue, right?

People are entitled to their own opinions, especially if they are justified, and informed opinions.

Both of us have justified and informed opinions, but we still have very different opinions from each other for this subject.

I say live and let live for this topic. You can continue to have your same opinions about this subject and I will continue to have my same opinions about it too.

There are plenty of people that would agree with what I said and there also plenty of people that would agree with what you said.

Last edited by ; 02-20-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
That's because you're like, 17. People become really lame and boring as they grow up. It sucks, but the upside is that you get to drink alcohol.
Speak for yourself, there's no way I would ever live on the East side or outside of the main part of Seattle, but that's just me. Fun to go out and visit, especially Kirkland with the waterfront and good restaurants, but I agree so much is missed not being in Seattle. The farthest I ever got (living) was Greenwood, and that was pushing it. In all fairness I don't have kids, but interpreted in all of the school districts. To keep the code of ethics, I won't say which school district, but one of the more affluent ones I worked at I would NEVER send my kids to. A few good teachers, but the rest missing the whole point and coddling the parents who think their mostly spoiled and bratty kids (most, not all) can do no wrong. There are trade offs for going to Seattle public schools instead, but I would never want my kid brought up in that environment. Just my opinion, experience, and observation. More $$$ doesn't always equal a better education.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Dude, what the eff is your problem? Bully much?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
Dude, what the eff is your problem? Bully much?
You don't really know NUB's and my history together on this board. We bully each other ultimately. I'll be honest about that. I actually do like his posts and he's definitely calmed down on his vigor from when he first started. Like him, I stand firmly with my opinions and such-- its bound to make some conversations between us because we're always on the opposite sides.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM

102 posts, read 274,869 times
The thing is - it isn't about what WE want. It's about finding the best options based on what the OP wants.

We are in a similar position to the OP and chose the Eastside. Not because I hate Seattle and think it's stupid. Not because only the Eastside is awesome. But because it met the majority of our criteria. So, for us, at this point in our lives, Bellevue is better for us.

Piping in with "only Seattle is good and everything else is stupid" is a fine opinion to have...but doesn't really answer the questions the OP asked or relate to her situation or offer her compatible solutions.

I mean, if I were young and didn't have gown up responsibilities that required different requirement to be met, I might make different choices about where to live, too. And if I were advising some one looking for walkability, easy access to everything, the most nightlife, coffee shops and other young people, I'd make a different suggestion than the Bellevue 'burbs. Those are right for me, right now, but wouldn't be right for what the person were looking for. It's not about me, then. It's about helping some one else meet their needs. And that doesn't reflect on one area being universally better or worse, just better or worse for that very particular circumstance.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM

41 posts, read 84,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatania199 View Post
We found options for under $2000 and three bedrooms will definitely make a difference (we were set on four). One thing I would suggest - lots of rental listings are for 3 bedroom homes, but also have an office or a den or a bonus room or some other sort of extra room. Maybe not big enough for a bedroom, or maybe the room doesn't have a closet, but it would make a great guest area. We added three bedrooms to our searching for that reason alone. So, it's possible to pay for a three bedroom, and get an extra guest space, too!

We're in the Somerset area, which is beside Newcastle, Newport Hills (fantastic elementary and high school), Cougar Ridge (many newer homes, great schools), Lakemont and a bunch of other little areas. It's east of the 405, south of the 90 and bordered by Cougar Mountain. Access to Bellevue and Seattle (10-12 minutes with easy traffic, which in my experience is any time but commute hours) is very, very good but it's still a very green area, great school, lovely neighborhoods. Well kept, updated, large homes, many with large yards, views that are out of the world, access to endless walks and hikes essentially in your backyard, a few wonderful little shopping areas nearby with all of the basics, and everything you want within ten minutes.

Queen Anne and other urban neighborhoods had a ton of charm, were very walkable, had some lovely homes...but with that charm comes age, and we found you had to sift through a lot of homes that have been rentals for years and years, less well kept, less updated...the kind of house we would have rented when we were university students with roommates! Not a grown up house. Obviously, there are lots of lovely houses, too. Friends of ours live in a large, new townhouse but they sacrificed a yard for that and we needed the space. Once we got out to the suburbs, the homes available were well kept, loved family homes. Our house has a huge, brand new kitchen with every amenity, the yard is large with a massive, multi level deck. Our cul de sac is full of families, and very quiet with no traffic. It's not better or worse in general, just better for us.

We have a 100 pound dog, and no belongings when we moved and had to live in a hotel while we waited for everything to arrive. It was not fun, but it was doable. Check out Marriott Residence Inns - there's one right beside Lake Union, possibly actually on Fairview. But there are locations all over - reasonable prices, wonderful breakfasts included, pet friendly, evening receptions during the week, full kitchens (ours had granite, a full oven, fridge and dishwasher) - like a little apartment.

I found Craigslist.com and hotpads.com to be the best resources to look for rentals.
Hi Tatiana
I've check the Residence Inn by Marriott Bellevue BUT... For 18 nights, it cost around $4500 ! Are we talking about the same ?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 33,422 times
Check out AirBnB. To give you some background, people with spare space/guest rooms/guest apartments rent them out via the site. There are reviews and photos of the space as well. You can also change the currency and language in the top right corner

There are some pretty nice ones in the Bellevue/Kirkland area.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Go Eastside (Bellevue). Seattle is very dense and getting denser, especially around Queen Anne Hill. I don't think Seattle schools are as good as the schools on the East Side. If you are professionals, I think that you might fit in on the East Side, and your teen-age kids will find it more to their liking. In other words, kids look more normal and less counterculture as they might in Seattle. Parts of Ballard are starting to look ragged and Queen Anne is full of yuppies in condos. About the transportation, check out the public transit routing he could take to work. Bus service does exist from the East Side and many use it. Yes, there are Desperate Bellevue-Kirkland-Mercer Island housewife types, but you'll have them on Queen Anne, too. I also believe I knew of a French speaking group on the Eastside that met at Larry's Market in Bellevue. I lived on the East Side being single and preferred it to the crowded feel of Seattle, choosing to go into town on an as-needed basis.
Moderator cut: not in english

Last edited by Count David; 02-23-2012 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: We have an English only rule on C-D, see the TOS!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 AM

41 posts, read 84,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrivers View Post
Check out AirBnB. To give you some background, people with spare space/guest rooms/guest apartments rent them out via the site. There are reviews and photos of the space as well. You can also change the currency and language in the top right corner

There are some pretty nice ones in the Bellevue/Kirkland area.
Thanks a lot It's very nice of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area