U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 AM
 
3 posts, read 11,005 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi,
I have read through a number of posts and have had so many of my Seattle-related questions answered already. A great forum! Still looking for a bit more information on neighborhoods. I am moving from Boulder, CO to Seattle for a 2-year fellowship at UW this summer. I am single and would be very eager to live in/near a fun neighborhood where potential thirty-something friends and (hopefully)dates will want to meet up and go out. I would also like a relatively straightforward bus/bike commute to UW campus (I do have a car though). I currently live in suburbia so am excited for a city living experience. Being from Boulder, I tend to hang with the outdoorsy/cycling crowd. I am told they will be found in Green Lake, but this might not provide the "single in the city" experience either. Is that true? So, I am wondering: what about living in Ballard vs. Fremont vs. Pike/Pine. What is my best bet for being within easy access to a nightlife for thirty-somethings, but also proximity to school and cycling? Is it difficult to get from Ballard to downtown/cap hill on a weekend night? Do people take cabs? Is Ballard/Fremont isolated from the rest of the city I will want to explore? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 AM
 
543 posts, read 820,881 times
Reputation: 388
Do you mean Pike/Pine in Capital Hill, or just anywhere along those streets?

Fremont is great, it's where I lived for 7 years (I'm in my 30s, no kids). Seattle is a fairly small city so you cannot really be too far from any of the neighborhoods. From Fremont you can bike along the Burke-Gilman trail straight to UW. Also incredibly easy access eith by bike or bus to downtown, Ballard, Wallingford, Phinney Ridge and Greenwood. There's a farmer's market on Sundays and fun happenings year round (Oktoberfest, Solstice parade and fair, etc). Good bars and restaurants, plus it's right on the water. Close to Gasworks park as well. People in Fremont in general are physically active and health conscious and while there are some strollers the average age is mid 20s to upper 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
 
3 posts, read 11,005 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks for this helpful info! Yes, I meant Pike/Pine in Capitol Hill. It looked like a lot of new apartments, etc. right there. These are great tips and thanks for the insight on average age of Fremont. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Seattle
626 posts, read 592,086 times
Reputation: 792
If I had to live north, I would choose either the Shoreline area or Maple Leaf. I didn't know Zillow broke down the neighborhoods of Seattle, this is pretty neat and you can probably scan through for a better understanding of neighborhood demographics:

Maple Leaf People & Maple Leaf Demographics - Zillow Local Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM
 
1,190 posts, read 1,749,285 times
Reputation: 699
Fremont or Wallingford would be great ... lots going on .. easy biking/bussing to UW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Capital Hill
1,603 posts, read 1,471,584 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs0919 View Post
Hi,
I have read through a number of posts and have had so many of my Seattle-related questions answered already. A great forum! Still looking for a bit more information on neighborhoods. I am moving from Boulder, CO to Seattle for a 2-year fellowship at UW this summer. I am single and would be very eager to live in/near a fun neighborhood where potential thirty-something friends and (hopefully)dates will want to meet up and go out. I would also like a relatively straightforward bus/bike commute to UW campus (I do have a car though). I currently live in suburbia so am excited for a city living experience. Being from Boulder, I tend to hang with the outdoorsy/cycling crowd. I am told they will be found in Green Lake, but this might not provide the "single in the city" experience either. Is that true? So, I am wondering: what about living in Ballard vs. Fremont vs. Pike/Pine. What is my best bet for being within easy access to a nightlife for thirty-somethings, but also proximity to school and cycling? Is it difficult to get from Ballard to downtown/cap hill on a weekend night? Do people take cabs? Is Ballard/Fremont isolated from the rest of the city I will want to explore? Thanks much!
My advise, -don't commute. There is lots of housing around the University District with like minded and kind of people as yourself for your distraction from study. Also lots of activites inside the campus and the neighborhood out side. From the U district there is Wallingford which is a short flat bicycle ride with all kinds of activities on 45th. That's as far as I would go and is far as you need to go. You won't need a bus or a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
 
543 posts, read 820,881 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
My advise, -don't commute. There is lots of housing around the University District with like minded and kind of people as yourself for your distraction from study. Also lots of activites inside the campus and the neighborhood out side. From the U district there is Wallingford which is a short flat bicycle ride with all kinds of activities on 45th. That's as far as I would go and is far as you need to go. You won't need a bus or a car.
I really have to disagree with this. She has a fellowship, she's not a young 20 something year old student. Those that typically live there are ealy 20 partiers. I've had friends that tried it and couldn't wait to get out. Plus she said she has a car and parking around there is a nightmare and expensive. It's fun to visit but if you are in your 30s you are not likely to enjoy living there. The commute from Fremont and Wallingford (as someone else stated) is a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
 
543 posts, read 820,881 times
Reputation: 388
I'll add you can "survive" in Seattle without a car, but it's not as easy as one would hope. It's an extremely hilly city (think San Francisco) and things like grocery stores are more spread out than you might imagine, especially if you don't have a car. I kept my car in a storage garage the first few years living in Seattle and a lot of things were a pain. Having a car is much easier, plus there are a lot of places to explore that are much more accessible by car. Parking wise, I've often had a hard time finding spots in Wallingford but if you get assigned parking it would be good. Living in Fremont, we had 2 cars fo a while...we had one assigned spot and the other we parked on the street...never had any problems finding a spot except during festivals, and even then we just had to park a few blocks away.
I like Ballard a lot, but it's definitely a farther commute. Still doable via bus or bike and they have good restaurants and bars. It's become more and more stroller/family friendly than it used to be, but not as much as Upper Queen Anne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
505 posts, read 792,968 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
I'll add you can "survive" in Seattle without a car, but it's not as easy as one would hope. It's an extremely hilly city (think San Francisco) and things like grocery stores are more spread out than you might imagine, especially if you don't have a car. I kept my car in a storage garage the first few years living in Seattle and a lot of things were a pain. Having a car is much easier, plus there are a lot of places to explore that are much more accessible by car. Parking wise, I've often had a hard time finding spots in Wallingford but if you get assigned parking it would be good. Living in Fremont, we had 2 cars fo a while...we had one assigned spot and the other we parked on the street...never had any problems finding a spot except during festivals, and even then we just had to park a few blocks away.
I like Ballard a lot, but it's definitely a farther commute. Still doable via bus or bike and they have good restaurants and bars. It's become more and more stroller/family friendly than it used to be, but not as much as Upper Queen Anne.
The car thing depends a lot on where exactly you live and your lifestyle and is to a degree subjective. I've been living in Capitol Hill for 2 years now, carless and happy. CH has everything you need but Downtown is in easy walking distnace as well. There are direct buses to many parts of town (including UW, No 43) and in a worst case scenario I have to go to downtown and take one from there. Cycling can be difficult because you always have to get back up the hill but I walk a lot and use Zipcars whenever I need a car. Last year I spent about 2K on zipcars but that includes everything (insurance and even fuel), you always drive a new car that you can pick around the corner and it's still way cheaper than owning a car, even if you never move it. I mainly used it to go out into the mountains (I do that a lot in summer) and occasionally for big shopping trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 AM
 
3 posts, read 11,005 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks for all this helpful information! Since I don't plan to get rid of the car, I will need to think about a neighborhood that will have some kind of easy parking situation, like sekhmet describes. A very good point... Great idea on the zipcar, too. I like the zillow feature checking out demographics/age. That is useful. Thanks to all for the age insight on the various neighborhoods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top