Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times

Advertisements

I just saw a van making a right turn (way too tight) take out the left rear corner of a parked car. Van stopped, passenger looked out the window, drove off. Broad day light, pedestrians on the sidewalk etc. At least 2 of us got the plate number and left notes on our neighbor's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I just saw a van making a right turn (way too tight) take out the left rear corner of a parked car. Van stopped, passenger looked out the window, drove off. Broad day light, pedestrians on the sidewalk etc. At least 2 of us got the plate number and left notes on our neighbor's car.
Then they'll be getting a nice phone call from the local police department.

I had something similar happen to us recently. We were at a hockey game, and a drunk 80-year-old man hit our parked Jeep. Just so happened that somebody saw him do it, survey the damage, and leave. The bystanders left a note on our windshield.

He admitted to it as soon as he was contacted, and his insurance paid for everything, including a rental car. And of course, he got "leaving the scene of an accident" charges.

I'd be glad (as the car's owner) that there were honest people standing nearby. Sometimes that isn't always the case.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
You really should have called the police in addition to leaving the notes.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
That's why I never park my BMW on the street. I literally saw someone in Ballard execute the "Ballard school of driving" (if you don't get the reference, YouTube it) way of parking and back into the front fender of a Nissan Leaf. Nice crunching sound, old dude comes out, looks at it, I say I saw everything, and he is shamed into putting a note on his car. I wrote down his license number, and called the police, they got my info and the old guy at least admitted to it.

Another occasion, I came outside to see my car get lightly touched by some asian drivers in the ID. I really didn't care about it because the fender wasn't even bent and the scratch was so tiny I was like "w/e" but they were so sorry and wanted to pay for it anyway. I insisted it was OK and would be happy if they got me a coffee or something, which they did. Not like I could understand half of what they were saying with their broken english, but I digress.

Another occasion I was parked outside my old place in the U district and I saw that some kid had left a note, saying he cracked one of the kidney grills and wanted to repair it. He did, and I learned that they were the simple pop-out type.

Of all the times that something happened to my car, only once did someone not leave a note, and it was when someone keyed my car. Probably someone jealous they couldn't afford a BMW. Luckily I know a killer detailing shop and they used a single horse hair to paint it over and seal it, it was like $50 to do.

Events like this are rare, and at least anecdotally, society isn't coming to an end and most times these things happen the right things end up happening.

Who urinated in your Wheaties this morning? LOL. The right thing happened in the end. Most people aren't evil or escapist.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
"Ballard school of driving" (if you don't get the reference, YouTube it)
Was his seat belt properly stuck in the closed door?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
That's why I never park my BMW on the street. I literally saw someone in Ballard execute the "Ballard school of driving" (if you don't get the reference, YouTube it) way of parking and back into the front fender of a Nissan Leaf. Nice crunching sound, old dude comes out, looks at it, I say I saw everything, and he is shamed into putting a note on his car. I wrote down his license number, and called the police, they got my info and the old guy at least admitted to it.

Another occasion, I came outside to see my car get lightly touched by some asian drivers in the ID. I really didn't care about it because the fender wasn't even bent and the scratch was so tiny I was like "w/e" but they were so sorry and wanted to pay for it anyway. I insisted it was OK and would be happy if they got me a coffee or something, which they did. Not like I could understand half of what they were saying with their broken english, but I digress.

Another occasion I was parked outside my old place in the U district and I saw that some kid had left a note, saying he cracked one of the kidney grills and wanted to repair it. He did, and I learned that they were the simple pop-out type.

Of all the times that something happened to my car, only once did someone not leave a note, and it was when someone keyed my car. Probably someone jealous they couldn't afford a BMW. Luckily I know a killer detailing shop and they used a single horse hair to paint it over and seal it, it was like $50 to do.

Events like this are rare, and at least anecdotally, society isn't coming to an end and most times these things happen the right things end up happening.

Who urinated in your Wheaties this morning? LOL. The right thing happened in the end. Most people aren't evil or escapist.

one of my cars has 4 dings on the rear quarter panel from what I can surmise is some fat-tard getting out of their car and slamming their doors open.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
considering this was an isolated incident I have no idea how to answer your original question..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
considering this was an isolated incident I have no idea how to answer your original question..
I think the answer is that there aren't enough drivers here from the Bay Area. Because we all know that would NEVER happen there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area