Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

Me and my three friends are relocating to seattle for a better variety of jobs. Because where we are now, we have a high unemployment rate, making finding jobs without college degrees hard. We are also taking a year off of college while doing this. It is our way to save up to be able to not pay the out of state tuition. And we cant afford college where we live, but we can in seattle once we are residents. We are very confused on everything because this is a big move, and we've never moved anywhere.
Anyways, we want to rent a home, 2 to 3 bedrooms, max rent maybe around $1500-$1550, max $1600 a month. It needs to be remotely close to some busses and the rail. We will have a car, but i'm guessing we all wont be able to use it at the same time.
I know people find houses out of state online and are able to get them. But how do we get jobs. Someone told me i had to get a home first, then find the job. But if we aren't available to show up in person, how else can we possibly get jobs? We are looking for jobs that are ideal for college kids. We will be working full time, maybe at like a retail store, grocery store, coffee shop, etc. I'm going to call a realtor to get advice but i thought i'd ask on this thread first. Any other info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The kind of jobs you are looking for do not hire people from out of state. They just don't have to, there are plenty of local applicants for every opening. They do hire more people for the summer cruise/tourist season,
but with the University of Washington and several smaller colleges there's a lot of competition as we get closer to school getting out. Your best chance is to get here in the next month and get a jump on the students. We are actually starting to get an increase in tourists already and I have seen a few "help wanted" signs. As for the rent, there are decent houses with 2 bedrooms available for $1,600, having roomates is a good idea and landlords are willing to do that but will run credit checks on all of you. You will be a lot better off with jobs before applying for rentals.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,224 times
Where are you coming from? Do you and your friends have the funds to travel out to Seattle for a day or two to get a lay of the land and start applying for jobs? I am not sure how much help a realtor may be at this point. Looking at Craigslist and Zillow, there are definitely properties out there within your price range.

Finally, are you looking to live in Seattle, or would you be willing to live just north or south of it? You can find 3 to 4 bedroom houses a couple hundred dollars cheaper than what you are looking for.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
How many months of expenses have you all saved up? For three people excluding rent your monthly expenses will likely run into the $

This is based on my wife and my consumption rates.

Food: $750 (never eating out)
Transportation: 270 (when my wife was taking the bus it was 90 a month from the eastside ... so I'm extrapolating a bit), plus whatever you have for car maintenance
TV, Cellphone, entertainment: 500
Other: 300
Bicycles: you can find good ones at used stores, look around. I'd guess 750 for all three of you for new, nice bikes, though this could go down to 500 probably, and this is just a one time expense. Bicycling really saves on transportation if you can swing it.

This is pretty bare bones. You're looking at rounding around 2000 a month in other expenses, combined with rent around 3600 a month. I recommend having at least six months of savings prior to moving here.

The types of jobs you will get are likely in the service industry. Waiting tables, working in restaurants, and other "low skilled" work. You could also get creative and work for maids.com or learn a craft and fix stuff, landscaping, roof cleaning (we have moss growing here on our roofs), etc. Won't be glamorous but minimum wage is $9 / hr. That may sound like a lot compared to the rest of the country, but it really isn't a lot given the cost of living.

You are definitely right in that you need to be local to be considered. The good news is most people here love the little mom and pop shops and small stores around here more than the mega-chain stores, so there's abundant job potentials.

At any rate, good luck!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
You can find houses to rent. Don't call a realtor. They might offer to find you something, but you'll pay them a big chunk and in the end, they'll just look on Craigslist like you should be doing.

I wouldn't advocate you guys move here without saving money. Getting a house could easily mean first and last month's rent with a security deposit of one month. Even if you find a house that's only $400 each per month, that's $1200 cash each up front. To boot, you all have to find jobs. What if one or two of you run out of money?

Once you get here, I'm sure you can find jobs. It's just that you don't get paid right away and you will have costs up front.

Do you guys have any money saved?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM

84 posts, read 170,638 times
i'm moving to seattle alone in august and i'm going with no less than 9k. all three of you should try to have at least 5k each, minimum. and definitely do what the other poster said and get out there before the college kids go back to work. or in the worst case, wait till they all go back to school. saving money is definitely a good idea. going without a lot or anything in your pocket is a terrible choice. good luck. can't wait to move! only 5 more months!!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KortneyMusselman2 View Post
We are also taking a year off of college while doing this. It is our way to save up to be able to not pay the out of state tuition. And we cant afford college where we live, but we can in seattle once we are residents.
Have you done research on colleges here? The tuitions have skyrocketed the last few years and just because you're a resident doesn't insure you get accepted. There is very stiff competition for local four year colleges.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Have you done research on colleges here? The tuitions have skyrocketed the last few years and just because you're a resident doesn't insure you get accepted. There is very stiff competition for local four year colleges.
I was thinking that they meant community college?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM

166 posts, read 442,971 times
Nothing personal, but so many locals unemployed, my partner is one of them. She is a property manager/admin. assistant, and while applicants are down there are still about 300 people applying for the same jobs. With our move up closer to Seattle, our land lords have other properties she is going to help him so that'll be a little money off our rent it's a sort of personal aid job, but she can finally say she is working. It seems that employers want you to be working. *smh*

Forget what they say about employment rates down, most of the 99ers no longer getting EU that is the only reason our unemployment has dipped below 9%. She is starting to apply for the jobs you want, so be prepared for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: