U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM

29,010 posts, read 10,266,662 times

Advertisements

The Eastside has culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 AM

1,677 posts, read 4,259,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Veronika - Based on your previous posts over the past few years, I thought you loved IH? No? Glad you found a place in WA to call home. Welcome back!
Oh, I did love a lot about IH, but was never very happy with the friendliness of the neighborhood. In a lot of ways it was my ideal place to live, but I still had one neighbor who grunted at me any time I greeted him, and another that simply ignored me when I greeted him. I do wonder if it was because we lived in a row of rental townhomes, because on Halloween, I noticed one street away from us, the neighbors all seemed to know each other. I would still recommend IH, because the neighborhood is gorgeous, and great for kids with all the parks, but the people in Duvall just seem a lot friendlier in general (so far).

V. =)

Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 AM

56 posts, read 66,807 times
I currently live in Redmond (lived here for about 2 years), but I just bought a house in nearby Duvall, and the people in Duvall are just super friendly and chatty and I love it! Very family friendly, lots of younger families and Microsoft employees, great schools, affordable houses. People just seem so much nicer there than in Redmond. There's less of that fake superficial civility, and more genuine interest and friendliness. I'm naturally introverted, but I feel very comfortable in Duvall. It has that charming small town thing going for it.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,913,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Oh, I did love a lot about IH, but was never very happy with the friendliness of the neighborhood. In a lot of ways it was my ideal place to live, but I still had one neighbor who grunted at me any time I greeted him, and another that simply ignored me when I greeted him. I do wonder if it was because we lived in a row of rental townhomes, because on Halloween, I noticed one street away from us, the neighbors all seemed to know each other. I would still recommend IH, because the neighborhood is gorgeous, and great for kids with all the parks, but the people in Duvall just seem a lot friendlier in general (so far).

V. =)
We know many, many families that live up there and they rave about the friendliness. We love going to Zeeks and Ben & Jerry's and everyone seems to know everyone. That being said, you will meet grumpy people in every neighborhood in every city.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM

1,677 posts, read 4,259,166 times
Quote:
We know many, many families that live up there and they rave about the friendliness. We love going to Zeeks and Ben & Jerry's and everyone seems to know everyone. That being said, you will meet grumpy people in every neighborhood in every city.
It's possible because we lived in the rental it was a little different. I do wonder if we had lived on a street with single family residences it would have been friendlier. I'll always love that neighborhood nevertheless.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM

127 posts, read 205,934 times
We rent a large SFH in South Sammamish and were shocked at the lack of community and neighbourly behaviour. The only words my neighbours said to me in about 9 months were 'Happy Halloween'. We're quite reserved and introverted, so it's been hard for us as foreigners and outsiders to break in to society here.

But I guess it's also because we are 'only renters' and likely to move on within a year or so; which indeed we are. Hopefully as home owners, people will be a bit more willing to engage in friendship with us. We've also chosen an area known for its community values.

Duvall looks and sounds great, and we would love to live up there (ideally, on a bigger lot) if it weren't for us being locked in to the current HS. My teens do *not* want to move again!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,636 times
Quote:
I agree with the comment that the Eastside has a very similar feel. Many people out here are not from Seattle originally. Lots of transplants coming to town to work for Microsoft, Amazon, etc. We love the Pine Lake area in Sammamish. We live in area with a bunch of kids so it was not hard for my kids to meet other kids to play with. I also have friends that live in Trossachs, Klahanie and Issaquah Highlands and love it too. I made a big effort to jump in and meet people and join things like a Bible Study, a gym, put my kids in various activities, etc. My kids were also 4 and 7 when we moved here so they are more mobile at that age and not so tied to a schedule so it was easy to join things and meet people. It's not always easy to move and you have to put yourself out there and not get your feelings hurt easily when it doesn't work out. People are busy these days and don't always have time to make friends, even when they'd like to. It's kind of the state of our society. Give yourself time to adjust to wherever you land and keep a smile on your face! I think you will like Redmond just fine!
I would agree with this. There are tons of activities (especially sports) for kids. We've been in Sammamish almost 2 years and we're really starting to hit our stride socially. Plenty of friendly people- sometimes it just takes some time to get settled.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 31,235 times
We moved into a home near Idylwood park last November and everyone around has been really friendly.
My wife has made loads of friends with the other moms in the neighborhood and our daughter absolutely loves school (Audubon elemetary).

And this morning i walked to work.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 AM

8,331 posts, read 14,847,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The Eastside has culture?
Yes. Whole Foods sells yogurt.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 15,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Yes. Whole Foods sells yogurt.
and sushi!

I previously lived in London and then Paris and obviously the Eastside isn't a capital of culture but neither is Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area