Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 AM

12 posts, read 15,893 times

Advertisements

I currently live in vegas and get some work but am tired of living in a desert. I am not a newbie and have been shooting for the past five years. I know about the weather change and will make a trip over there during the winter to see if i can handle it. I'm originally from Michigan so I'm used to grey skies. I'm attracted to the area because I've heard it's a great community for supporting creative people. I also know that I would be working another job full-time during the week as my main income until I either build up my own business doing wedding photography or get a job shooting for another company. I have a background in sales and I've also worked in many restaurants. I'd just like to hear from other artists that made the move and what their experiences were. I plan on saving up $6-$8,000 dollars before I make the move. I am considering Portland as well but have heard the economy isn't very good there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
There is certainly a lot of professional photographers here in Seattle and the NW. The only way they can survive is to free-lance. My son-in-law wanted to be a photographer, he got an MA degree in Photo Journalism, but couldn't get a full time postion so he ended up free-lancing for local papers. He didn't do very well at it so ended up taking wedding pictures and taught a few photo classes in a local college. When you develop a good repitation at taking wedding pictures, the word gets around and you can make good money at it but you had better expect you will not have many free weekends for yourself, specially if you have a good reputation.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM

40 posts, read 61,899 times
There are a lot of under-employed professional photographers in Seattle and around. Not a good choice if you need to make $ to live on.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randevan View Post
There are a lot of under-employed professional photographers in Seattle and around. Not a good choice if you need to make $ to live on.
+1

I'm a part-time Metro driver, and several of my coworkers are artists, musicians, photographers, writers, and other creative types. The reason they drive is because their artists interests simply don't provide consistent income.

While Seattle is generally supportive of 'artists' (i.e. creative people), it's just not something most people make a living at. Even those who are highly talented generally freelance and have another job as their primary income source.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
Seattle it not better or any worse in that respect than any other place...it's always difficult to make a living as a photographer, wherever you are based.

Obviously it all depends a lot on what exactly you photograph. You can make good money as a wedding and event photographer but it takes a long time to build a client base, you'll have to offer free and discounted shoots to start with and build a portfolio etc. And you need to be good, word of mouth is a major success factor in this type of business. Event hen it's gonna take some time before you can make money in a new market.

I know that Amazon employs photographers in their studios...again you need to be good for this :-)

Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 PM

12 posts, read 15,893 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I already know that I'm going to have a second job as my main income and probably for the rest of my career as an artist. That's expected and and a worthy trade-off for inspiration and recognition. I plan on doing some fine art gallery work and portrait work as well. I'm excited to start my life in a new place and to be in a community that supports the arts.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortegar2 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I already know that I'm going to have a second job as my main income and probably for the rest of my career as an artist. That's expected and and a worthy trade-off for inspiration and recognition. I plan on doing some fine art gallery work and portrait work as well. I'm excited to start my life in a new place and to be in a community that supports the arts.
I forgot to mention, my son-in-law managed to suppliment his income by writting a monthly column in 'Popular Photography' and review new photo equipment on a photo website. I don't think either one pays much, but it was something. From time to time this website advertises for photo writters: www.dpreview.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: