Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
And all that because she had the audacity to say: "Are you from California, that sounds like something they'd say down there?" Sounds like there are some anger issues here...
She could have just shut up and said nothing. I don't think "high maintenance" Housewives of the East Side are used to being insulted, so it was probably good for her to hear something like that. Her shyte does stink, like everyone else's.

Some anger that this kind of reception is/was the prevalent vibe in the PNW. Told another story on the climate thread where the WASPy lady opening my account at WAMU in Kirkland WA grimaced when she asked place of birth and I said Santa Monica, CA...looking ever so clean-cut in my suit. Similar story in Portland OR. This one guy on the MAX train, during the afternoon commute home, starts talking about an upcoming election and we talk a little bit about local politics. He says, "where are you from, Beaverton, Tigard...?" I said "No, Los Angeles." He immediately piped up. I have NEVER experienced anti-California sentiment ANYWHERE except the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-20-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have NEVER experienced anti-California sentiment ANYWHERE except the Pacific Northwest.
I don't know about Atlanta, but when I lived in the Nashville area many of the people I knew despised California and Californians. Keep in mind, most of the Californian transplants they encountered were perfectly nice and friendly, yet they hated them anyway. Just one of many reasons I left.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I don't know about Atlanta, but when I lived in the Nashville area many of the people I knew despised California and Californians. Keep in mind, most of the Californian transplants they encountered were perfectly nice and friendly, yet they hated them anyway. Just one of many reasons I left.
Atlanta's motto is awesome: "the city too busy to hate." I only learned that within the last 5 years. Some natives will kid you for being a "Yankee," but my Southern next-door neighbor lady either pestered me to mow my lawn, if I was a week or so late in doing so, and then to come over for "iced tea" if she saw me playing with her dog over the fence. The next door neighbor on the other side always would pull up in his car and introduce me to his latest girlfriends, who were half his age. As a native Angeleno, I couldn't believe how cool and individualistic people were. I expected to move onto the set of a Civil War movie. I didn't have such colorful neighbors on SEA's East Side.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
She could have just shut up and said nothing. I don't think "high maintenance" Housewives of the East Side are used to being insulted, so it was probably good for her to hear something like that. Her shyte does stink, like everyone else's.

Some anger that this kind of reception is/was the prevalent vibe in the PNW. Told another story on the climate thread where the WASPy lady opening my account at WAMU in Kirkland WA grimaced when she asked place of birth and I said Santa Monica, CA...looking ever so clean-cut in my suit. Similar story in Portland OR. This one guy on the MAX train, during the afternoon commute home, starts talking about an upcoming election and we talk a little bit about local politics. He says, "where are you from, Beaverton, Tigard...?" I said "No, Los Angeles." He immediately piped up. I have NEVER experienced anti-California sentiment ANYWHERE except the Pacific Northwest.
If you do a search here on C-D I guarantee that you will find plenty of anti-California sentiment.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Two things: I'm neither liberal nor conservative. I vote Democrat, but that doesn't say much anymore.

About the best friend BS, when you move the same person (me) from ATL to SEA, and you have a "night and day" different experience with co-workers, neighbors and other people you come into contact with, then it ain't "you," it's the "city."
I have lived all over the country...and while everywhere has a slightly different feeling to it, and the people react with one another a bit differently I never experienced a "night and day" difference.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
If you do a search here on C-D I guarantee that you will find plenty of anti-California sentiment.
Which is stupid, because most of those leaving California are usually educated, middle-class Caucasians who are not in anyway "identifiable" until they tell you where they are from. While I know it has driven up RE values, the Northeasterners come with the same amount of equity, and most of them seek to replicate the more serene middle-class lifestyle they once knew...be it in SEA or DEN, or anywhere else in the West. Neither California's rich/upper middle class nor their gang-bangers are leaving for other places, for the most part. It's sad that California's most "middle of the bell shaped curve" folks are getting such ridiculous treatment, wherever it occurs.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Which is stupid, because most of those leaving California are usually educated, middle-class Caucasians who are not in anyway "identifiable" until they tell you where they are from. While I know it has driven up RE values, the Northeasterners come with the same amount of equity, and most of them seek to replicate the more serene middle-class lifestyle they once knew...be it in SEA or DEN, or anywhere else in the West. Neither California's rich/upper middle class nor their gang-bangers are leaving for other places, for the most part. It's sad that California's most "middle of the bell shaped curve" folks are getting such ridiculous treatment, wherever it occurs.
I'm not saying that I agree with any of the anti-Californian sentiment, I am just saying that it exists outside of the PNW.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM

96 posts, read 205,986 times
I've been to Seattle twice and had an amazing time on both occassions. I found people to be very friendly but maybe more reserved than in other areas. Having grown up in the midwest, I am used to starting conversations with people in all types of places and did so without any strange looks or coldness when there. Our most recent visit was for a job interview for my husband and I asked several people questions about our potential move. I wish we had been able to move there. Maybe someday.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times
you are in denial if you think seattle is the only place that contains rude people.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommster View Post
Having grown up in the midwest, I am used to starting conversations with people in all types of places and did so without any strange looks or coldness when there.
This. Having driven cross-country on my own several times, the people in the Midwest (KS, MO, IL, IN) will engage in conversation so easily. I'm not saying people have to fawn over you nor you over them, but when aloofness is the norm, then what fun is living in a particular area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area