Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to the Seattle area. We have a child with autism (middle school) and a child who has ADHD and pretty significant dyslexia (also middle school). We currently live in NC and the schools here are terrible about addressing special educational needs & learning disabilities. How is WA state in general about handling special educational needs in the schools? Are certain school systems in the Seattle area better or worse than others? TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In our experience the best are in the Lake Washington School District, especially the schools on the Plateau in Sammamish where people often move just because of the special ed programs. Issaquah is also good, as are Bellevue and Mercer Island. There are well educated concerned parents who will hire advocates and attorneys to ensure they get the services their kids need, so good programs have been developed.

Special Education - Lake Washington School District

Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In our experience the best are in the Lake Washington School District, especially the schools on the Plateau in Sammamish where people often move just because of the special ed programs. Issaquah is also good, as are Bellevue and Mercer Island. There are well educated concerned parents who will hire advocates and attorneys to ensure they get the services their kids need, so good programs have been developed.

Special Education - Lake Washington School District
Thank you!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,375 times
Default Find out which school your child will attend

My 3rd grader's neighborhood school is Medina but he gets sent to Sherwood Forest!?! Medina is the top rated school in the Bellevue School District according to a handout I got and Sherwood is the worst performing school in the Bellevue School District. Medina only takes children who can be integrated into a regular classroom (imo only special needs children who are hardly special needs) the district has 2 elementary schools with Center Programs for elementary aged children; Sherwood Forest and Newport Heights. I understand your children are middle school aged I just wanted to let you know that you need to determine your children's placement before buying/renting a home since you may be sent to another school.

(President Obama just visited Medina Elementary! At Medina 5% of the population qualify for free lunch whereas Sherwood has 52% of its population qualifying for free lunch.)

Moderator cut: links removed

Now my son is in a Center classroom with only 7 other pupils. He has a teacher and three Aides. He gets individual and group speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy. He has a snack each day plus the children get two twenty minute recesses a day to play!

Your results may vary!

Last edited by Count David; 03-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: typos; new members are not allowed to post links

Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 33,567 times
I am also contemplating a move to the greater Seattle area and have a son who will be 5 in January. He is verbal, and medium to high functioning, but definitely on the spectrum. I have scoured the internet and have read that the EEU seems to be the best in the Seattle area, but is near impossible to get into. How does one get into this program?

And if I have read correctly, the Lake Washington area (multiple towns, right?) has great programs, along with Mercer Island, Issaquah, Sammamish, and Bellevue. Are these the only real options? I know that it is tough to rank what districts, but how would they be ranked in order? Assuming EEU would be at the top or near the top.

(Note: I used to go to Shorewood High myself, but not sure what kind of services they have there and the quality).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
I would say Mercer Island, Sammamish, Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah for ranking as far as special Ed. Sammmamish
and Redmond are in the Lake Washington District.

My understanding is that EEU only takes new students in the infant, preschool and K programs. Then they continue on until age 7, but I don't think they accept new students after K. Check the website of the University of Washington and try searching on Haring Center.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 33,567 times
Thank you! There are so many schools within a district, how do you know which one is good or not? Is it a trial and error process?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 AM

Websites like Great Schools rank them, but that generally is just test score data. We spent a lot of time visiting schools and district school board meetings before deciding. Trial and error is not acceptable for your kid's education.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
As someone mentioned above, you can end up living in the best school district but have your kid sent to the lowest performing school if they need a special program that is only offered there. That should be part of your research.

Also, what programs do they offer? Where we are now, my son needs a smaller class but does not have cognitive deficits. Issaquah, for instance, has no such class. I need to either mainstream him with resource room (which mainstreaming already proved to be a failure at his age), or send him to a small class WITH cognitive deficits since those are the only small classes they offer. Maybe they are more progressive than mine and don't believe in self-containing, maybe their budget dictated bad decisions? As a parent you need to know what your kid needs, and if that particular district offers it. There is no such thing as a universally good or bad special needs program...only that it fit YOUR child, hence individualized education program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area