Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM

29 posts, read 51,150 times

Advertisements

Hi, everybody. I moved to the States in 2008. We came to Oklahoma because my ex-husband is from Ok, but we got divorced now, so I don't have any reason to stay here. I am from China, so I would like to move to Seattle, easy to fly back to China to see my family. I have one third grade girl , so I have to know a few information, then I can search jobs. Would any body like to introduce the following:

1. within Seattle area, is there any hazard weather ? like tonado, volcano, earthquake...? I am so scare of OK'S tonado, earthquake.

2. Which area in Seattle have best school? I dont want to put my girl in a bad school area.

3. if the best school area is too expensive to live, what else I can choose?

I will be very appreciate for your reply. If you want to know about Oklahoma, I would be very happy to tell you!

Have a good spring break!

Susan

Last edited by susanok; 03-23-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,802,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanok View Post

1. within Seattle area, is there any hazard weather ? like tonado, volcano, earthquake...? I am so scare of OK'S tonado, earthquake.

Within Seattle area? The volcano is about some 50 miles south of us. We are at risk for earthquakes. Tornadoes are not the norm generally. There are flooding, but in the lowlands mostly South, or East, or north-east of Seattle-- not usually a cause for concern for people living in Seattle.

2. Which area in Seattle have best school? I dont want to put my girl in a bad school area.

Areas or districts? Seattle Public School as a district isn't that good, but they do have some good schools, which generally are in the northern Seattle neighborhoods. Best overall districts are all in the Eastside (Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland, Woodinville, Redmond, et. c)

3. if the best school area is too expensive to live, what else I can choose?

What is "too expensive"? Generally the areas all over Seattle with good schools will cost more than the areas with bad schools.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 PM

84 posts, read 180,079 times
Do you already know your ex is going to allow you to leave OK for WA with your child? You have to have his permission to do so......That is the first hurdle you need to cross.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM

yes. court allow me....Thanks for Inkpoe's information. I think I won't like big school district, so I will search job in the East side. Wow, sounds have some terrible nature too.Volcano, earthquake ? so it is really a concern?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,605,797 times
Compared to many big city school districts, the Seattle Public School system is above average.

Natural hazards include earthquakes (a big subduction quake, like Japan) is predicted between now and the next 200 years, but would mostly effect the coast, lesser impact in Seattle). Volcanos are the wildcard. Rainier could come alive, but shows no signs at this time. The worst damage from a Rainier eruption would be ash and lahars that would mostly leave Seattle uneffected, however, Pierce Co. (Tacoma) could be in the path. Tornadoes are almost non-existent, although occasional windstorms in the winter months can cause damage. Floods occur in the lower valleys every few years.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
We don't worry about earthquakes or the volcano here, unless living in an area downstream from Mt. Rainier. The biggest hazard that we regularly worry about is wind. Not so much in Seattle, but on the eastside where the better schools are there are many tall trees. At least 1-3 times a year we will get 40-60 mile per hour winds that will topple a few trees or toss about large branches, and cause damage to homes. Maybe once every two years we hear of a car being crushed by a falling tree and killing people. It's still not something to keep people from moving here. Wherever you live there are going to be natural issues.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We don't worry about earthquakes or the volcano here, unless living in an area downstream from Mt. Rainier. The biggest hazard that we regularly worry about is wind. Not so much in Seattle, but on the eastside where the better schools are there are many tall trees. At least 1-3 times a year we will get 40-60 mile per hour winds that will topple a few trees or toss about large branches, and cause damage to homes. Maybe once every two years we hear of a car being crushed by a falling tree and killing people. It's still not something to keep people from moving here. Wherever you live there are going to be natural issues.
I would agree that most areas in the US are at risk of some form of natural disaster. However, there are different levels of this. Orting, and much of the Puyallup valley could be in deep trouble if Rainier erupts. Fortunately, there are no signs of this happening right now.

The earthquake scenerio is a bit scarier. Yes, most of the damage would be on the WA coast, which is not greatly populated (perhaps a psunami equal to Japan), but the shaking could certainly create problems in Seattle and Tacoma. Most newer buildings have been built to high earthquake standards, but many have not. This same scenerio exists in the big cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Vancouver. When this quake comes, (and it will), all bets are off. I have confidence that most builders today recognize the threat, and are building for this scenerio.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Yes, now I believe almost everywhere in US has hazard nature. Why I never worried about the nature can kill us when I was in China? The place I grew up, l lived there 40 years ,now I realize it is such a good place, safe! Maybe I need move back

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
July 28, 1976 - Earthquake in Hebei China was the 3rd deadliest of all time anywhere, killing 243,000. In 2003, 261 were killed in Bachu with another earthquake. In 1995 a tornado in China killed 37. Just last summer 175 were killed by floods in China. When Mt. St. Helens here in WA erupted in 1980 there was only 57 deaths, and the big earthquake in
Seattle in 2001 took no lives. There is no place where you can live that is totally safe from natural disasters, it's a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
July 28, 1976 - Earthquake in Hebei China was the 3rd deadliest of all time anywhere, killing 243,000. In 2003, 261 were killed in Bachu with another earthquake. In 1995 a tornado in China killed 37. Just last summer 175 were killed by floods in China. When Mt. St. Helens here in WA erupted in 1980 there was only 57 deaths, and the big earthquake in
Seattle in 2001 took no lives. There is no place where you can live that is totally safe from natural disasters, it's a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Well, true to some extent. But those China deaths in '76 were most certainly due to poor construction of buildings.

Mt. St. Helens death toll was low due to no major metro areas nearby.

The 2001 Seattle quake is probably one of the biggest quakes with no fatalities. Probably due to the fact the quake was quite deep, and actually was centered well south, near Olympia, WA. (Similar quake in '49 also centered near Olympia, I believe there were eight fatalities in that one, most south of Seattle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area