Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Whether the Seattle Freeze is a myth started to keep more people from moving here or is just the experience of a vocal few making a lot of noise, I don't know, but it's definitely not worth worrying about. I'm one of those that denies it, despite being warned when we moved here in 1992 that natives here did not like people from California. Currently over half the people here are from another state or country. UW is a beautiful campus, with a great law school. Many people going there get together and rent a house with 4-5 people and are able to afford nice neighborhoods, without a car since there is good bus service in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 04:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Hahaa...absolutely not. Right now I got to Florida State. I am just about to finish undergrad and then next year I am getting my maters. FSU has been really fun and has a very respectable law school, but being here another 3 years is not something I want to do. University of Florida also has a really good law school, but Gainesville is basically a swamp. If i stayed in state I might go to U Miami. Overall, i just want to go at least to a medium sized city to get a new experience.
I meant a hick town that wasn't a state capital. Tallahassee seemed pretty nice, with lots of pines and hills, plus close to the Gulf.

True, Gainesville IS a swamp, complete with alligators within the campus boundaries.

U Miami - too expensive and you could go to a higher-ranked public school.

UW might be a good bet, but Seattle is a 180 from Florida.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 PM

304 posts, read 871,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I meant a hick town that wasn't a state capital. Tallahassee seemed pretty nice, with lots of pines and hills, plus close to the Gulf.

True, Gainesville IS a swamp, complete with alligators within the campus boundaries.

U Miami - too expensive and you could go to a higher-ranked public school.

UW might be a good bet, but Seattle is a 180 from Florida.
FSU has some really good qualities, one of which is being the state capital. I have had a great undergrad experience, but after 4 years (I am getting a masters next year, making it 5) It is starting to get a little old. I am not ruling FSU (or UF out), but I would like to go somewhere else. I live in So FL when I am not in school and do really enjoy it, but I really would like to go out of state and preferably in a metropolitan area.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Hey everyone.
I may apply to UW next year (I think I can be competitive but I am not jumping to any conclusions, its a very difficult school to get accepted to). I dont like to generalize about people, but ther term "Seattle Freeze" keeps popping up when I hear about people who have moved there from other places. I have no doubt this disdain for Seattle may be say more about those individuals rather than a city full of people.

I just want to now if Seattle can be an insular place, where people who move there may have difficulty with the social scene. I like most of the things I hear about Seattle. I tend to have leftist views, i think I am open minded, the music scene seems awesome, and I would like to live in a city roughly the size of Seattle. Is this "Seattle Freeze" mostly just a rumor?

Also, what are some reasonable areas where students of UW tend to live? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Just make sure you budget for frequent trips away from Seattle, its the only thing that made our 2 years here bearable. As others have already said, you'll probably be too busy with school to notice the freeze and most of your friends will probably be in the same program and likely NOT natives. Thats an important point because transplants like yourself are generally much more outgoing than the Seattle natives.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM

304 posts, read 871,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Just make sure you budget for frequent trips away from Seattle, its the only thing that made our 2 years here bearable. As others have already said, you'll probably be too busy with school to notice the freeze and most of your friends will probably be in the same program and likely NOT natives. Thats an important point because transplants like yourself are generally much more outgoing than the Seattle natives.
thanks. I probably won't have a car, at least for my first year so I probably wont be able to travel out of town as much as I would like. I have heard though that Seattle is a fairly easy city to get around without a car. It couldnt be much harder than where I live now (Tallahassee).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: