Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,726,250 times

Advertisements

the TC needs to step up his game. and he needs to post his pic because maybe is his look and fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM

324 posts, read 874,873 times
I've been reading that one of the worst aspects of Seattle is not so much the diversity in dating, but actually trying to find a date.

I've read about a lot of single, professional guys having trouble finding attractive single women (because the men outnumber them).

Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,291,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
I've been reading that one of the worst aspects of Seattle is not so much the diversity in dating, but actually trying to find a date.

I've read about a lot of single, professional guys having trouble finding attractive single women (because the men outnumber them).
key word being "attractive"

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the women here tend to be....uh big and if they are not big....they don't tend to keep up their appearances.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,788,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
key word being "attractive"

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the women here tend to be....uh big and if they are not big....they don't tend to keep up their appearances.
It was definitely a big shock, moving from California up there... I'll say that much.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,514,329 times
Um, let me tell you: the men here are sloppy in their appearance. I can't even tell you how many men I went on first (and last) dates with that showed up in Microsoft T-shirts/polos/button downs. Really? A lot of the men here are socially awkward. Smarts are good, but you need to be able to let go and have a good time (and a pleasant conversation) when you're not at work. For what it's worth, I think the women here (particularly on the Eastside) are more attractive and put together than the men.

My brother is a personal trainer in Southern California. He meets plenty of beautiful women, but they're usually vapid and have no aspirations. When he asks them what they plan on doing when they can no longer be a waitress at the beach brew-pub, they have no idea. There was a time he was OK with that...hot girl who liked to party was enough. But not anymore. He's actually considering moving back up here because he's afraid he's not going to find the complete package down there. I think he could if he was willing to compromise a little on some of his "must haves" - I think it's better to be with someone who is of average looks (which can still be very attractive) and much substance than the reverse.

I'm a white woman who dated more than one black man, a few asians, an Indian, and a middle eastern man. Race isn't as big of a deal to people here, and just because a white woman happens to be dating a white man doesn't mean she wouldn't ever date a black man. Seattle is one of the biggest cities in this country for interracial dating/marriage.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,514,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshogun96 View Post
Hint to the ladies reading this: when you're first starting to get to know a man, NEVER EVER ask him what he does for a living or anything else concerning his income right away, especially as your very first question. The conscious man will take it as a sign that she's a grade-A gold digging Moderator cut: language and if he doesn't have a 5 or 6 figure income he'll likely think that she'll be turned off if he's honest about the fact that he only makes $20-40k/yr and will be tempted to lie about it if he actually is desperate. It's okay to ask eventually, just wait until later on.
If I ask someone what they do for a living, I'm asking because I'm curious about what they do 8-12 hours of their day, give or take. I ask because I think it's interesting to hear how people choose to spend their time...you can find out a lot about a person with that one question. Some people are really passionate about what they do (that's you), and others just do it because it's the job that was available...those people often have other interesting pursuits they like to talk about. The question has absolutely nothing to do with money, and if that's what you've been thinking all this time, that could be part of your problem.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,788,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Um, let me tell you: the men here are sloppy in their appearance. I can't even tell you how many men I went on first (and last) dates with that showed up in Microsoft T-shirts/polos/button downs. Really? A lot of the men here are socially awkward. Smarts are good, but you need to be able to let go and have a good time (and a pleasant conversation) when you're not at work.
I'm a pretty sharp dresser if I may say so myself - I wouldn't ever consider wearing corporate swag like that, ever... ugh.

The recurring thing that I encountered, being a fairly well-dressed man who takes some degree of pride in his appearance, was that there was an assumption that because I did this, I lacked intelligence, was shallow, or I was trying to compensate for some sort of character flaw. Especially in your mid 20's; it's just not part of the Seattle culture.

Although it's not a popular thing to say, I found that people in Seattle were really just as vapid and judgemental over appearance as people from Southern California, they just tend to go in the opposite direction.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think the women here (particularly on the Eastside) are more attractive and put together than the men.
I generally noticed the same thing, and so did others, it seems. I dated a girl a few months back who was a Bellevue native who moved down here to LA, and she cited the total lack of style as one of her reasons for leaving Seattle (she was going to fashion school down here... a bit too fashion conscious for me, which is why I was dating her a few months back, and not currently).

Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 PM

107 posts, read 116,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I love threads like this because it proves my theory that the most liberal, progressive, whitest areas in the USA (such as Seattle and San Francisco) are in fact the most RACIST cities in the nation and not those conservative, good old boy, redneck states the media's always warning us about.

Thanks for the confirmation.
It's like that anywhere you go.

I live in Texas and I'm almost 30 white male, and most of the racist comments I've heard among the white people here come from women.

I think in general most white people are racist we just don't act out or express it openly. Closet racist I think is the term for it.

I've known many people, white hispanc and asian, who would say n***** this n***** that, and then turn around and open a door for a black person with smiles and politeness.

I dunno...it just seems to me, from my own personal expierence over the years, that alot of people despise african americans but don't openly admit it.

my2cents

Old 06-09-2012, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 9,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshogun96 View Post
NOTE: If you are one of those overly sensitive people who tend to take things personally and easily get their feelings hurt over someone's opinions or negative experiences posted on an insignificant internet forum, then I suggest you not read this post and maybe grow up a little before reading it. You've been warned.

This is something I've been pondering for quite a while now as I see more and more women who are more or less blatant when they say they don't like black men. Why is this? I'm an ambitious and well educated single black man who is a game programmer forming his own Ltd. and strives to be a better person everyday. While I don't consider myself "actively looking" mainly because I don't have time for anymore of that dating nonsense and the games that women tend to play, I do periodically browse dating ads and what not to see what's available. I've been to many places (coast to coast), and I've never in my life seen a city with so many women that say that they want nothing to do with a black man in particular!

Quite frankly, I've been to Tennessee (a state that's rumored to be racist) and the women there were nicer to me than anywhere I've ever been, ever. Here, the most common excuse I see is "I don't date black men" both online and in person. This is coming from both black and white women. Why is this? What makes us so undesirable? I don't have the nasty ghetto attitude, smoke weed or do drugs, wear baggy and sagging clothes, or listen to that stupid booty gorilla noise known as rap either, so what's the problem? I understand that people have preferences and it's okay to be honest about them; even I have my own. But I never say "I don't date black women" because "OMG u is sooooo racist!!!!"

Don't get me wrong, I could honestly care less who likes me and who doesn't, especially women because I've had to deal with their biased criticism so long (mainly because I couldn't finish my degree and because my income level is less) it doesn't even effect me (and no, I'm not sexist, anymore). Also, if you plan to respond with "Not all women are like that" and other similar statements, please do me a favour and just save it! I never said the word "all", you did. I did say "in general", meaning that for many it's generally true. I'm not the only one who notices this either.

I love this city, just not it's women, that's for sure. This is a city I can only recommend to black men who have a good head on their shoulders and want to pursue a great IT career, not a place to do that and find a good wife that doesn't love you for your money/status. I don't recommend searching the haystack for a needle either. There are exceptions to every rule, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Thoughts?

Shogun.
I think the OP is too preoccupied with race. Have you ever asked yourself if the problem could be your attitude and not the fact that you happen to have west african genealogy? People gravitate to those they feel socially and culturally in tune with. Try to not have such a chip on your shoulder and ease up on even letting questions like this creep into your mind.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:07 PM

8 posts, read 12,142 times
This is interesting. Despite all the talk about interracial couples in Seattle, I always feel like black women in this city aren't interested in white men at all. I don't find it too difficult to strike up a conversation with a white girl but it seems to me like black girls just ignore white men completely. At least that's my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area