U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 977 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I applied for a dev position on Tuesday, and a recruiter got back to me via email the same day telling me that Amazon was really interested and that he wanted to schedule an interview. He also asked for some other info. I replied to the email, but I didn't get any confirmation from him. It's been a couple days, and still haven't heard back from him. My application status still shows as "under review." To be honest, I'm getting a bit anxious. How long do recruiters at Amazon take to get back to you, or schedule interviews? Should I be worried, or is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,848 times
Hi everyone, Recently interviewed for 2nd phonic round of Amazon L6 position. Already over a week, and havent heard back from the recruiter yet. Anyone is same boat?
2nd round was just format expertise and experience discussion and the hiring manager telling at last, how things will happen in onsite process.

Have followed up with recruiter but havent heard back.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguilar134 View Post
Hi, everyone. I applied for a dev position on Tuesday, and a recruiter got back to me via email the same day telling me that Amazon was really interested and that he wanted to schedule an interview. He also asked for some other info. I replied to the email, but I didn't get any confirmation from him. It's been a couple days, and still haven't heard back from him. My application status still shows as "under review." To be honest, I'm getting a bit anxious. How long do recruiters at Amazon take to get back to you, or schedule interviews? Should I be worried, or is this normal?
For me, they asked scheduling dates preferences. Got the call on the first scheduled date.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM

432 posts, read 607,671 times
Did Amazon stop hiring people? Over a month and no posts.

I am not interested in working for Amazon, but I have enjoyed reading peoples experiences in this thread as they move through the interview/hiring process.

-Mike

Old 12-04-2017, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 463 times
Hi everyone,

I was interviewed for a position and found to be overqualified. They thought I might get bored and recommended me for another team that better fits my background. I am meeting a number of people for an "informational meeting" but I have no idea how to prepare or what to expect. I assume this is like a personality test since I have already proven my skills. Has anyone else been through something similar? I was told my status is something like "ready for offer" but I know how these things work and I want to be as prepared as possible. Any help is appreciated as this forum has been a godsend so far. I've read every single post!

ETA- they initially said I would probably just meet with the new hiring director, but since it's a very team oriented position they decided for me to meet with the most senior ppl/ ppl I'd be working with the most on the team.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Hi Harvey,
I have never been through the interview process with Amazon, but I have had several interviews such as the one you describe in your comments.
Make sure you brush your teeth, cut your fingernails, dress professionally and comfortably, and relax for this.
It looks like they already know you can do the job, now they want to make sure you fit the culture and team.
Don't fake it, or act out of character. Be honest when questioned. Don't act desperate, and don't apologize for any perceived misgivings they may present to you. Don't laugh at every joke, suck up to anyone, compliment anyone on their appearance, or give any reason for someone to think you are creepy.
Humble confidence attracts people and makes you likable.
View this as you interviewing them as well. You need to make sure you'll like the team you are on and your manager.

It may end up that you aren't the right fit for this team, either by your perception or theirs, and you're going to want to know this before you get hired.
Best wishes to you.

-Mike

Old 12-06-2017, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 463 times
Thanks Mike. I really appreciate your input and will keep your tips in mind!

Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM

127 posts, read 96,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTBirdman View Post
Thanks Mike. I really appreciate your input and will keep your tips in mind!
Brush up on current events of the company.
Be familiar with the leadership principles.
Otherwise, just be yourself.

In most cases, an informational is just to assess fit and general intelligence (the feeling they get from you rather than actual stats). Sometimes, they've basically already made up their mind and just want to make sure you're interested and not a complete psycho.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walch1007 View Post
Brush up on current events of the company.
Be familiar with the leadership principles.
Otherwise, just be yourself.

In most cases, an informational is just to assess fit and general intelligence (the feeling they get from you rather than actual stats). Sometimes, they've basically already made up their mind and just want to make sure you're interested and not a complete psycho.
Partial psychos are OK though.
Great thoughts you added.

-Mike

Old Today, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 463 times
An update-

I ended up getting the job and wanted to share some additional feedback in case someone else reads this and is in a similar position.

1. Your recruiter should go over everything with you and topics that will be stressed. Prepare lots of examples (at least one example for each interviewer) based on their notes.

2. Despite what they say this is absolutely an interview. It's not nearly as intense as your first one, and there will be some chit chatting to get to know you, but it's absolutely an interview. They have a lot more leeway in what they're able to ask, so brush up on standard interview questions in addition to typical Amazon STAR questions.

3. Do not use the same examples that you used previously. They are literally on their computers looking directly at your previous answers. If they ask you the same question more than once you either didn't give a good enough example in your first answer, or it's a skill that is really stressed. I was asked one question in different ways five times. This holds true for throughout the interview process. Come up with new examples every stage and have at least one prepared for each interviewer.

ETA- the process could be different if it's a lateral move, but this was my experience when the new role is a higher level. Also as Welch said, brush up on what the department is working on. This came up quite a bit in the "chit chat" stages and asking informed questions and showing genuine interest helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area