Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times

Advertisements

OK, I’m about 2 years away from retiring from my civilian job up in Anchorage, Alaska, where I’ve been posted for the last 11 years now. I was born and raised in Seattle and left Seattle back in 1980 when I enlisted in the military. I’ll be in my early 50s and for some reason, I’m now having a strong urge to move back to the Seattle area, towards the south and most likely out of King County as well.

I love Anchorage, but the winters are getting way too long now and I want to go back to a 4 season climate again.

My finances with be fine and the cost of living up here in Anchorage is roughly the same as in Seattle… Generally, but property in the Seattle area is much higher, which includes the taxes, but I did fine in my careers and I should be able to continue my current lifestyle, which by the way, is far from rich. I’m basically a “city guy” and I had my fill of the outdoor life, thanks to the military and I see myself spending most of my time enjoying concerts, movies and my hobby of collecting/searching for vinyl Lps and CDs at places like Jive Time, Easy Street, Sonic Boom and Silver platter’s Record shops. Including, hanging out at local eateries and check out some of the bookstores in town too.

As for work, I’m hoping to find a part-time job, nothing too serious since my last 2 careers have been basically high stress positions and I’m tired of that… Yes, they did pay well and I’m proud of my service, in and out of uniform, but something far least stressful is what I’m now seeking. I’m pretty sure it will be in the corporate security field, due to my background... No mall/WalMart security or anything like that... Nothing is wrong with that type of work, but its not for me.

Since I’m also retired from the military reserves, I have access to the military bases, which might come in handy at times, so when I say south of Seattle, I’m also thinking north as well, toward Everett and the Navy base there, but to be honest, I’ve always spent most of my time towards to south-end of western Washington.

Also, my 3 adult kids from a former marriage are still living in Seattle and I want to spend more time with them and my grandchildren as well.

I know I will be spending most of my time in Seattle and I have a gut feeling that the part-time job I do land will be in Seattle as well, so I’m hoping to find an area within a hour or so from town and not on any of the proposed toll roads I keep hearing about that might be popping up soon.

Once I do move back to Washington, I will be buying a single family home in the 300-350K range in a nice, but boring middle-class neighborhood, away from the “hood” since I’m tired of the drama that comes with it. Plus, I grew up in the “hood” (hood-lite) and don’t want anything to do with that ever again!!

With this information, what areas in Western Washington would you recommend? Also, I really do not want to go any further south then Olympia or north, past North Marysville. I’m open to areas outside of this general location, if “things” are far-far better.

Thanks for looking!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM

14 posts, read 20,389 times
It is depending on what kind of job and housing you can afford. if you exclude king county, it is a bit far from city. I think you can do find very decent home in Kent area with that much of budget where which you will feel very typical boring but with country feeling. Close enough to Seattle or Tacoma, bellevue. and close enough for all other activies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area