U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 AM

14,846 posts, read 18,218,462 times

Advertisements

Depending on where you are at each end there are several choices. Probably the MT4 to the International District, then the ST550 express would do, and take about 40 minutes. The fare currently would be $3 each way. The eastside buses are clean and quiet, those within Seattle may be less so at times but they are all perfectly safe.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 AM

4,580 posts, read 8,459,807 times
If you are from NY or any of the east coast big cities (me DC) imho you will find both dt Kirkland and dt Bellevue way to sterile and quite frankly, boring. It also tells you alot about the Bellevue/Kirkland folks (eastsiders) who think Seattle is 'dirty and crime ridden' when it's actually quite nice and one of the safest big cities in the U.S. I lived on Capitol Hill and commuted to dt Bellevue for 5 years. It was not all that bad. For someome coming from NY, dt Kirkland and Bellevue is no match for the Capitol Hill/dt Seattle corridor.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM

8,337 posts, read 14,896,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Depending on where you are at each end there are several choices. Probably the MT4 to the International District, then the ST550 express would do, and take about 40 minutes. The fare currently would be $3 each way. The eastside buses are clean and quiet, those within Seattle may be less so at times but they are all perfectly safe.
Except the Route 4 bus doesn't travel on Capitol Hill.
King County Metro's #9 bus, however, starts out at Broadway and Aloha on Capitol Hill and makes a stop at the Rainier Avenue and I-90 stop, where there are tons of buses to Bellevue.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM

786 posts, read 723,472 times
There are many busses, and really it depends on what part of the hill you live on and where in Bellevue you need to get to. DT Bellevue has a transit center and many busses go there. For me the ST545 goes straight from Olive/Bellevue (the street, not the city) to 520 & NE 40th so that's all I really need. However quite frankly I prefer the speed, comfort and convenience of door-to-door service and thus generally prefer my car. If I worked in Seattle where parking is a premium I'd probably be more inclined to use the bus for commuting, but since parking is generally pretty plentiful on the eastside (and only a couple hundred feet from my desk) it usually doesn't happen.

If you are looking at places and want to see what your bus commute would look like - try Metro's Trip Planner. If you Google 'King County Metro Trip Planner' - it's the first link. You can enter your starting and ending location, desired number of transfers, time of day of your trip, how far you're willing to walk to/from a stop and it will show you your route. It's pretty handy and you can get an idea for which routes would suit your needs. It also has links to each route, and a search tool for finding routes so you can see maps for each one.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM

505 posts, read 795,220 times
Use the google maps routing function. Type you start and destination addresses in there and it'll tell you exactly what bus options you have, works usually quite well.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM

72 posts, read 81,278 times
Amazing. Thank you everybody for your input! (And Kayela, that's an amazing resource... thanks!)

One last question in addition to all of the above... What's my best bet for finding an apartment? CraigsList? Trulia? Redfin? Some other Seattle resource I haven't heard of?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM

5,613 posts, read 6,613,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlintheworld View Post
Amazing. Thank you everybody for your input! (And Kayela, that's an amazing resource... thanks!)

One last question in addition to all of the above... What's my best bet for finding an apartment? CraigsList? Trulia? Redfin? Some other Seattle resource I haven't heard of?
(Assuming you mean in Capitol Hill)... Best bet is to walk around and find the FOR RENT sign.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM

72 posts, read 81,278 times
What can anybody tell me about Wallingford? Both about the neighborhood itself (demographic, feel, rental availability, etc.), and also the commute from there to Bellevue?

(Also, I saw on google maps that there is some some Seattle solid waste transfer thing near there? Is this something i should be concerned about? Does it smell?)

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM

15 posts, read 17,172 times
As far as how to find places to rent, craigslist is always a good source. I also like hotpads.com

Personally I prefer renting a house, but if you are looking for apartments there are tons available right now all over the place. However, Capitol Hill is extremely walkable, so just looking around that area you find places to rent. Maybe ask the local coffee shop patrons on capitol hill, or even ask co-workers from your new job in Bellevue. It seems a lot of people working the tech jobs are not locals, meaning a lot of them are renting. So there's a good chance a co-worker could recommend places for you to rent.

I grew up in Redmond and really love that downtown area, it's got a great mix of charm (all the original buildings in the downtown area, fun shops, etc) + you also have the 'sterile' stuff like Redmond Town Center (outdoor mall) and Crossroads (although technically Bellevue, the older mall, I call it the dirt mall, but it definitely has charm) and you are still only 10 minutes away from downtown Bellevue, plus you also have Marymoor Park (in my opinion, the best park in western washington, extremely great for walking around, tons of activities like out-door concerts, a huge off leash dog-park, all of the sports fields, tons and tons of stuff to do there). Plus you are right next to Lake Sammamish and you have a straight (quick) shot up the redmond-woodinville valley to visit the winery's and brewery's.

I guess if you were to look at the eastside, I would highly recommend Redmond and I'm surprised no one else has suggested it yet. The eastside has a lot more than just Bellevue or Kirkland (although they are nice in their own way too).

For the record, I'm also 30. I guess I'm a bit of an eastside junkie. I do enjoy Capitol Hill as well, I've spent a ton of time up there, especially for the night-life. Overall though, I like the Redmond/valley area because you have a great view of the mountains, the lake is close, marymoor park is excellent and there's tons of outdoor stuff to do, hiking, biking, etc while being close to all the tech stuff as well (Microsoft is in Redmond, for example).

I suppose if I'm going to mention Redmond, then I also need to mention Issaquah. While Redmond is at the north end of Lake Sammamish, Issaquah is at the south end. It has it's own charm, a larger 'old' downtown area than redmond, which also boasts some great wine bars and small theater. There's plenty of parks right on the lake there too, but you also have the newer 'downtown' parts of Issaquah and still have the tech stuff around (Microsoft, Costco's headquarters, etc). You'd still be about 20 minute drive to downtown Bellevue, maybe 25 with really bad traffic.

Last edited by Landsharkk; 04-12-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM

19 posts, read 25,443 times
Default Welcome to the Eastside

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlintheworld View Post

Hi, OP.

Chiming in here. I am a 29 Female about to turn 30 and I have lived in this area all my life. I grew up in Bellevue and I work in Bellevue.

If you are from NYC and are looking for eclectic character... you probably won't like Bellevue. You will like Seattle better. There are more places to go and a greater array of people. But the commute from the Eastside to the Westside can be pretty awful in traffic and there is now a toll on 520 (north).

Seattle is a very indoor city. I have only been to NYC once, but NY is very open compared to Seattle. You meet people just walking around and there are so many places to go. That was fun. In Seattle, people are polite, but more cliquish. A lot of the socializing happens in set groups that go out together. Sriving, parking, and walking are a pain in pretty much every Seattle neighborhood too. For this reason, I didn't care for living in the city (during the 2+ years I lived in Queen Anne). I never really met anyone new and the places to go weren't worth going to alone. I found myself hanging out with my set friends in my own home and wanting a better home to do it in. So I moved back to the Eastside and got a better apartment, and when I want to see my Seattle friends I drive across the bridge to see them.

However, I am someone who spends a lot of time working and at home. I like having a beautiful home, and having people over. I am actually in the market to buy, and because Bellevue is too expensive to own for me (decent house starts at 400k) I will probably end up in Renton or Bothell or Issaquah (probably East Renton). Seattle houses are also very expensive unless you go to the outskirts, like very far west or very far north, which are not good commutes to my work in Bellevue.

Anyway, my point is that you may have a little trouble finding exactly what you are looking for. Fortunately, if you are renting, you can find a place for awhile and then just move in a year or so if you hate the neighborhood.

Rent in Bellevue at my current apartment is 1175/mo for a one year lease...and that is really cheap for Bellevue. Month to month jumps to 1377 and I live in a greenbelt next to nothing walkable. If you want to live downtown...be prepared for 1600+ rent a month.

Ask me any other questions you like. I'm a fount of information...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area