U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,240 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

We are relocating from Washington D.C. to Seattle due to my husband's job. I will be working in downtown Seattle while my husband would be at Microsoft. We are looking into Bellevue area as a potential place to live as it serves as a mid-point to both of our work places.

We found a house we're interested in and it's in Newport Hills area. I found that there is a bus that goes to downtown Seattle that I can take, but was wondering if driving is the only option for my husband to go up to Redmond?

Is there anyone from Newport Hills area who commutes to Microsoft? Is there any of those Microsoft connector buses that come nearby?

If you are driving, how's the commute? We heard the 405 is pretty bad and my husband is really hoping his commute would not be too long.... if there is no public transportation he can easily take to Redmond and driving for almost an hour each way in traffic is an only option, we'd have to look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your help/input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,869 times
why dont you two try a car pool with someone

Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 AM

5,611 posts, read 6,593,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssweets View Post
Hello there!

We are relocating from Washington D.C. to Seattle due to my husband's job. I will be working in downtown Seattle while my husband would be at Microsoft. We are looking into Bellevue area as a potential place to live as it serves as a mid-point to both of our work places.

We found a house we're interested in and it's in Newport Hills area. I found that there is a bus that goes to downtown Seattle that I can take, but was wondering if driving is the only option for my husband to go up to Redmond?

Is there anyone from Newport Hills area who commutes to Microsoft? Is there any of those Microsoft connector buses that come nearby?

If you are driving, how's the commute? We heard the 405 is pretty bad and my husband is really hoping his commute would not be too long.... if there is no public transportation he can easily take to Redmond and driving for almost an hour each way in traffic is an only option, we'd have to look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your help/input!
I cannot speak for the MS connector pick up spot-- though I do know there's one that goes through the area.

Commute depends on what time he leaves: If he's leaving during rush, expect up to an hour... most likely 40ish mins on average. You have to pass the bottleneck of the i90 traffic, then another for the 520-- and a lot of people do work for MS. If you have a lot of patience and like to drive... you'd take the back roads (which won't make it faster, but at least you're moving).

If you're interested in taking the buses... from Newport Hills, take the #240 to Eastgate PnR, get off there. #221 would take you close to MS. Be less than an hour.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM

@we rock: I don't need to car pool since there is already a bus near by that will take me directly to downtown Seattle. My husband may be able to find a car pool once he starts next month. Thanks.

@Inkpoe: Thanks so much for your input! Google map says to take 405 and yesterday when we drove from Newport Hills to Redmond during rush hour, 405 South looked pretty jammed. I'll tell him about the back roads. Thanks for the bus info as well!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM

781 posts, read 719,627 times
If you husband is working with someone from HR - they should be able to get him some information on the Connector. THe only maps available online to non-employees are a bit dated.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM

5,611 posts, read 6,593,843 times
The backroad you can take from MS to Newcastle is going south on 156th ave til you hit Eastgate Way, turn left and get on 148th/150th-- go south on 150th til you hit SE Newport Way (go west) which will take you to Factoria and closer to Coal Creek Way.

I'm not sure which part of Newcastle you'll live on... I usually don't have any patience for the Factoria traffic, so I normally by-pass SE Newport Way and continue on 150th (which will slowly goes back to 148th, then Highland Dr, then 137th, then Highland Dr-- sounds like a lot, but it's really one winding road)... then you'll hit Forest Dr. SE, turn right and you'll be taken to Coal Creek... at the light, turn left and next light will be se 60th st (right turn) which will take you to Newcastle.

Yea... I know the area well-- I've spent many years there. One of the places your husband will be passing by when he's on 156th is the Crossroads Mall-- which most likely he'll spending a lot of lunches at with his co-workers. Its a pretty neat, nifty place.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 PM

781 posts, read 719,627 times
Quote:
Yea... I know the area well-- I've spent many years there. One of the places your husband will be passing by when he's on 156th is the Crossroads Mall-- which most likely he'll spending a lot of lunches at with his co-workers. Its a pretty neat, nifty place.
I have a huge softspot for Crossroads Mall - it's just got such a community feeling to it. I love the different cultures you come across. I love the huge chess board and the game area, the old Russian guys playing chess, the old ladies coffee klatches, the stitch 'n ***** groups, and the various acts on the community stage. I like the little kids dancing like crazy to the jazz band or the mexican flute players, and the different festivals that they have. I also like that you can just chill there on a Tues night, get some piroshky/pho/donburi/curry/etc.. and read a book.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 AM

19 posts, read 25,369 times
If you are living on the Eastside, you will probably need a car. There are busses, but the Eastside is the subburbs so the community busses come rarely (mostly just at rush hour) and can take forever. If you have a car, you can at least get to a Park and Ride, from which the commute to Seattle is pretty easy and alleviates a need for parking in the city at $20 a day.

The M114 goes through Newport Hills and goes to Seattle, but I think you have to catch it pretty early in the morning (before 8am). There's also the 240 (Renton to Bellevue), which runs all day and will take you to Eastgate Park and Ride from which you can then hop a bus to Seattle.

OR

Have your husband just drive you to Eastgate Park and Ride (take Coal Creek Parkway to 128th/Factoria Blvd and turn right on SE Eastgate Way). Then you take the bus from there to Seattle. During rush hour, you can jump on the 212 leaving every 10-15 min until about 10am. There's also the 554 Sound Transit, which you can take from the freeway station (short walk from the P&R) every half hour all day and late into the evening.

Your husband can then drive from Eastgate to Microsoft in about 15 minutes and never touch the freeway. It depends on WHICH Microsoft location, though, as there are a couple. The one people usually mean is on 156th/157th. Eastgate Park and Ride sits just below 148th, which runs parallel to 156th all the way to MS and has a faster speed limit.

Your husband's commute will be about 22 minutes. Compared to 20 minutes via the freeway when there isn't traffic (of course, takes more time if he's stopping to drop you off).

Your commute by car to downtown Seattle would be about 20 minutes, plus $20 to park. Your commute by bus might take an hour. If your husband drives you to the Park and Ride, it will be about 30-35 minutes.

There are, of course, multiple ways to do it.

To help with the bus route, play around with the Seattle Metro Trip Planner. Metro's Online Trip Planner It isn't always accurate though because it requires you to know what busstop you are coming from and will not give you every possible combination. Plug in Eastgate Park and Ride to Downtown Seattle and you will see what I mean for this being the best commute.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM

Huge thanks to everyone who commented on this thread! We saw the house in Newport Hills in person and decided to pass... oyyyy the search continues. Thanks all!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM

18 posts, read 13,209 times
I'm new to the area and I adore Crossroads Mall too! We were in Bellevue Square today and how soulless it is compared to Crossroads Mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
I have a huge softspot for Crossroads Mall - it's just got such a community feeling to it. I love the different cultures you come across. I love the huge chess board and the game area, the old Russian guys playing chess, the old ladies coffee klatches, the stitch 'n ***** groups, and the various acts on the community stage. I like the little kids dancing like crazy to the jazz band or the mexican flute players, and the different festivals that they have. I also like that you can just chill there on a Tues night, get some piroshky/pho/donburi/curry/etc.. and read a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area