U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 AM

118 posts, read 120,937 times

Advertisements

THey don't call it the wild west for no reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 AM

72 posts, read 91,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think it's also very disturbing that no suspects have even been identified in this case, let alone arrested. Seattle has had 13 murders so far this year alone, and there seems to be an attitude of impunity among the people who open fire in the city. And with so few arrests, it's tough to say they are wrong about that. Apparently in downtown Seattle, you can indeed shoot a young woman in the neck (right out in the open on a public sidewalk), murder her, and get away with it.
Wow.

No offense to tablemtn, but when I read that, I immediately wanted to run to Seattle with my bags on my back.

I KNOW that murder is never a good thing, but we do not live in a world void of it. When I look at the size of Seattle, and the no. of murders reported each year, it amazes me that the numbers are so low.

I grew up and live in the Southeast, and you have places with not even a third Seattle's population with comparable murder numbers - and I feel fairly safe in THOSE places. I know the places to stay away from, and I've NEVER, EVER had any problems.

Perspective is everything, because from my point of view, Seattle seems like Disney Land compared to MANY major US cities.

The only places you can really go in the US with significantly lower numbers...

...they come with a hefty price-tag. I've read that murders in Bellevue, for instance, happen only a little more frequently than alien invasions.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM

461 posts, read 840,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
Wow.

No offense to tablemtn, but when I read that, I immediately wanted to run to Seattle with my bags on my back.

I KNOW that murder is never a good thing, but we do not live in a world void of it. When I look at the size of Seattle, and the no. of murders reported each year, it amazes me that the numbers are so low.

I grew up and live in the Southeast, and you have places with not even a third Seattle's population with comparable murder numbers - and I feel fairly safe in THOSE places. I know the places to stay away from, and I've NEVER, EVER had any problems.

Perspective is everything, because from my point of view, Seattle seems like Disney Land compared to MANY major US cities.

The only places you can really go in the US with significantly lower numbers...

...they come with a hefty price-tag. I've read that murders in Bellevue, for instance, happen only a little more frequently than alien invasions.
You are certainly correct, Seattle is very safe. The people here do not have perspective on what goes on in other places, they hear about somebody getting shot and it's "hide your kids, lock your doors, stay inside after sunset, Seattle is getting more dangerous by the day, authorities are letting this get out of control" etc. In reality, Seattle is a beacon of safety compared to most other large cities in the country.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,378,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post

I've read that murders in Bellevue, for instance, happen only a little more frequently than alien invasions.
Seattle has it's own version of alien invasions:

Zombies and Aliens invade downtown Seattle - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM

keep drinking your koolaide. Its good to be vigilant crime may be down in recent years, but the seattle area has an undeniable history of predatory serial killers. Bremerton Serial Killer

Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,378,097 times
NorthwestRepublic, have you considered sharing your negativity in the Alaska forum where you live? Debbie Downer could take tips from you.

Last edited by Seacove; 04-29-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Im new to alaska still don't know too much about the area yet. Luckily the dolly varden trout start running soon so I won't be on here so much.

Anyway just wanted to point out that a false sense of security creates easy victims.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM

27,176 posts, read 22,593,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think it's also very disturbing that no suspects have even been identified in this case, let alone arrested. Seattle has had 13 murders so far this year alone, and there seems to be an attitude of impunity among the people who open fire in the city. And with so few arrests, it's tough to say they are wrong about that. Apparently in downtown Seattle, you can indeed shoot a young woman in the neck (right out in the open on a public sidewalk), murder her, and get away with it.
At this pace, Seattle could see about 40 murders this year. This is nothing compared to Atlanta, Milwaukee, or DC. Atlanta had 87 murders last year, and this is the second lowest number of murders Atlanta has ever had since 1963. 2009, Atlanta had 80 murders, and 91 in 2010. Frequently, Atlanta normally gets between 110-150 murders per year. Atlanta has gotten as 263 murders in a year. Milwaukee and DC are more violent than Seattle ever has been. Not saying that crime shouldn't be taken seriously in Seattle. I'm just saying Seattle is alot safer compared to most cities of its size.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
keep drinking your koolaide. Its good to be vigilant crime may be down in recent years, but the seattle area has an undeniable history of predatory serial killers. Bremerton Serial Killer
So do other parts of the USA. In Atlanta we had the infamous child killer. Kansas had the BTK killer. Milwaukee had Jeffrey Dahmer, who also ate his murder victims.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
THey don't call it the wild west for no reason
The Wild West? Try the Deep South. The Deep South is the only region in the USA that is experiencing a rise in the murder rate. New Orleans, on of the nation's murder capitals, is located in the South, not the "wild" West. In fact, some of the nation's most violent cities are far as murder is concerned, are located in the South. Among them are New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area