U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 12,118 times

Advertisements

Hey - we are looking for a recommended dog breeder in Seattle Area. If you could kindly recommend one, that'll be greatly appreciated! The types of dogs we have been considering are Beagle, Golden Retriever, Lab, or, actually most types
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM

3,076 posts, read 2,427,171 times
Really partial to Golden Retrievers but these guys also have Labs and Bernese Mountain Dogs:
Canyon Meadows Farm

Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM

96 posts, read 139,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzhuming View Post
Hey - we are looking for a recommended dog breeder in Seattle Area. If you could kindly recommend one, that'll be greatly appreciated! The types of dogs we have been considering are Beagle, Golden Retriever, Lab, or, actually most types
What are you looking for in a dog? This is an important question. Labs are hunting dogs and require a lot of exercise to be healthy. I see a lot of overweight labs that families have as "pets" and I feel very bad for them. I think you should narrow your search down before selecting a breeder. Would a shelter dog not do for what you're looking for?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM

102 posts, read 138,310 times
I would narrow things down, too. Beagles are scent hounds - they'll fixate and find. That can pose issues off leash and present training challenges. They often are happier when they have a job to do. But they are also lovely little guys - friendly and pleasant. Retrievers (Labrador and Golden) have a lot of energy and can get pretty...stupid...when that energy doesn't get let out. Goldens shed like you wouldn't believe. They're both great family dogs, if you can survive YEARS of potential puppyhood, and are committed to training (because otherwise, you'll never get out of puppyhood).

Do you want a dog with lots of energy (daly walks, sometimes two)? A shedder? A dog whose puppy stage last a long time?

I think that there's a good case to be made for shelters, rescues, breed rescues and breeders, depending on the circumstances, but I think the first thing to do is narrow down what you want in a dog.

If you do decide a purebred is the way to go, the next thing is to decide whether you want a puppy or an adult. Sure, puppies are cute but they are SO much work. Adults are less adoptable because of the cute factor (which means they need homes more than cute little puppies) but they are also usually better behaved, often house trained, sometimes obedience trained and so on. Adults can often be found via breed rescues and then you are saving a dog who needs it. And you still get the predictability of a purebred, if certain traits are important to you, as well as the knowledge that comes from a rescue really knowing their dogs.

If you decide on a breeder, find a responsible one. Buying from a puppy mill or a backyard breeder just encourages those people to keep selling, and that means more and more puppies are produced and more and more dogs in shelters die. A responsible breeder breeds not for the money (because it's very expensive to breed responsibly - which is why puppies are a bargain from backyard breeders - they don't spend any of the endless funds devoted by a good breeder to health related testing and care) but for a passion and love of the breed and a desire to continuously respect and better it.

This site (it's a rescue page so it's not trying to sell you puppies - it's full of tons of info about backyard breeders and puppy mills) gives you a bunch of info about finding a good breeder: Breeder Checklist

Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 12,118 times
Thanks all for your reply!! We are actually open to shelter dogs, and please recommend good shelter/rescues if you know of any! Thank you!

We want a dog, because they tend to make the family a better, warmer place. We don't mind take them out for walk everyday, especially that my wife currently doesn't have a job. Our house has plenty of room and a big yard for them to play around as well. However, we hope our family member won't bark too much, as we don't want to disturb our neighbors.

Puppies are mostly what we are looking for, because we want to establish the bond from the beginning. I understand we can bond with adults as well, but we hope we can watch him/her grow from a little one, and be in that process. However, we are also open to adults if they are a good fit for our family.

We won't really mind if they are not purebreed. It is just that we've heard purebreed tend to be healthier and more predicatable, and that is why we aksed for breeders in the first place.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,913,277 times
Highly recommend Colorbook Farms in Stanwood for Goldens. But it's a pretty extensive interview to get through to get a pup and she doesn't always have a litter. She does it all by the book and is an excellent and careful breeder. Very involved in rescue as well. She was one of the few recommended by the Evergreen Golden Retriever Rescue when I spoke with them. I tried to get a Golden Pup from them but they said it could be a year or more before they move through their pup waiting list. Wouldn't you know it they called us right after we found our dog.

http://www.egrc.org/breeder.aspx

Also loved Sherry at Klasique Goldens. But she was out of puppies - usually has a wait list too.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,629 times
This is an old post, but it came up on my search as recent. Incase you haven't found your dog, I would recommend local shelters or a local organization called Georgia Peach Puppy Rescue! Again they are local and save puppies from the high kill shelters in the South and fosters them here until they find them a forever home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area