U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,512 times
Default Could I survive here?

This is long. Sorry.

I'm from North Carolina (Fayetteville) and I graduate in just over a month. Someone mentioned Seattle on LJ and talked about it having tons of "Now Hiring" signs (someone on here also mentioned a lot of those are for people with experience/degrees and minimum wage jobs). The job market in my town is pretty hopeless--there are periods when it seems that there are tons of "Now Hiring" signs but no one really gets hired; I've never bothered to try for a job here because I haven't learned how to drive and I didn't want to take away the opportunity from those that actually need a job. I have done a ton of volunteering and became the youngest head/senior volunter at 16 at one of those places (a no kill animal shelter). At the moment, I'm a volunteer at an animal hospital where I can't touch the animals and clean a lot but I don't mind it because it's fun to sing along to the radio with the vet techs and animal care takers while we clean the kennel after hours.

I plan on taking college classes online and working after I graduate, possibly adopting my favorite cat from the shelter before I leave if she's still there because she "claimed" me (much like my Aussie) a long time ago and I haven't been able to adopt her due to my own cat being extremely territorial. That and my earliest memories involve my cat. I'm a hard worker who has no problem doing the dirty work like cleaning up dog mess or cleaning, I have good references, and I have no current desire to learn to drive. The tiny country town my grandparents live in is too quiet, you have to drive to get anywhere here, and I've only been to three big cities in my life (Chicago when I was ten on a day trip which I barely remember, DC when I was 12 and had an anxiety disorder, and Miami in November, which I loved but too much driving). I like to read and people watch. I do martial arts (Aikido-non-traditional) but I'm open to most styles. I'd more than likely be able to crash on the couch of one of my mom's friends while I looked and applied for jobs and saved money.

Would I be able to survive in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM

96 posts, read 132,476 times
No, you'd die.

Just kidding. It's hard to say based on the information you've given. You'd need a real job. Perhaps you could work in a vet office? However, be aware that while Seattle does have public transit, it's extremely expensive to live here. Most people I know in the animal industry (all east side--I'm not as knowledgable about west side) that aren't actual veterinarians have to move a lot farther out from Seattle/the burbs to even afford an apartment. Seattle is a great city though, and has some areas that are fantastic for living and walking around. Just make sure you find a job that pays well enough to afford an apartment.

Oh also, be prepared for cooler weather, more overcast days, and more rain.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,393,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiKate View Post
This is long. Sorry.

I'm from North Carolina (Fayetteville) and I graduate in just over a month. Someone mentioned Seattle on LJ and talked about it having tons of "Now Hiring" signs (someone on here also mentioned a lot of those are for people with experience/degrees and minimum wage jobs). The job market in my town is pretty hopeless--there are periods when it seems that there are tons of "Now Hiring" signs but no one really gets hired; I've never bothered to try for a job here because I haven't learned how to drive and I didn't want to take away the opportunity from those that actually need a job. I have done a ton of volunteering and became the youngest head/senior volunter at 16 at one of those places (a no kill animal shelter). At the moment, I'm a volunteer at an animal hospital where I can't touch the animals and clean a lot but I don't mind it because it's fun to sing along to the radio with the vet techs and animal care takers while we clean the kennel after hours.

I plan on taking college classes online and working after I graduate, possibly adopting my favorite cat from the shelter before I leave if she's still there because she "claimed" me (much like my Aussie) a long time ago and I haven't been able to adopt her due to my own cat being extremely territorial. That and my earliest memories involve my cat. I'm a hard worker who has no problem doing the dirty work like cleaning up dog mess or cleaning, I have good references, and I have no current desire to learn to drive. The tiny country town my grandparents live in is too quiet, you have to drive to get anywhere here, and I've only been to three big cities in my life (Chicago when I was ten on a day trip which I barely remember, DC when I was 12 and had an anxiety disorder, and Miami in November, which I loved but too much driving). I like to read and people watch. I do martial arts (Aikido-non-traditional) but I'm open to most styles. I'd more than likely be able to crash on the couch of one of my mom's friends while I looked and applied for jobs and saved money.

Would I be able to survive in Seattle?
At what comfort level do you choose to survive. Even street people survive here, but it does get very damp and cold sleeping in doorways and freeway overpasses. The people here are quite generous with their handouts, I'm told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area