Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 18,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to Seattle and am going to be working on the eastside (Redmond). I was looking at Capitol Hill (the Broadway neighborhood kind of by South Lake Union, but it seems like suburbia with only houses) and Downtown Bellevue, any advice?

I was also wondering about commute times and tolls. Would taking I-90 take the same amount of time (google maps says there isn't really a difference but online articles say otherwise).

I'll have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touareg View Post
Hi,

I'm moving to Seattle and am going to be working on the eastside (Redmond). I was looking at Capitol Hill (the Broadway neighborhood kind of by South Lake Union, but it seems like suburbia with only houses) and Downtown Bellevue, any advice?

I was also wondering about commute times and tolls. Would taking I-90 take the same amount of time (google maps says there isn't really a difference but online articles say otherwise).

I'll have a car.
I think you may be confused here. Broadway is a main thoroughfare in North Capitol Hill and east of Broadway there are some single-family homes, but it's definitely not suburbia. And it's not really that connected to SLU. Not to mention Broadway itself has a ton of businesses.

[Note: These streeviews are 4 years old and there has been a ton of development since then]

Here is what Broadway looks like: broadway seattle, wa - Google Maps

And here is residential West of Broadway (not suburban at all): seattle, wa - Google Maps

Also, keep in mind Broadway is only one section of Capitol Hill. The Pike/Pine Corridor is the most urban part of the neighborhood, especially South of 12th Ave.

Much of it looks like this: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bauhau...142.54,,0,8.13

And this:
seattle, wa - Google Maps

Olive is another cool sub-area of Capitol Hill: broadway seattle, wa - Google Maps

As is 15th Ave E - seattle, wa - Google Maps

Most of Capitol Hill is apartments, condos, restaurants, and bars, and the area has seen (and continues to see) ridiculous development, both commercial and residential. Yes, there are some single family homes in the northern section of the neighborhood (once you get passed Aloha) and East of Broadway if you go far enough North. But much of the neighborhood is quite urban, and a subway station is opening right near Cal Anderson Park in 2016, to easily connect to Downtown and the University.

As for Downtown Bellevue, it's a completely different animal. Completely. Bellevue truly is a suburb and even though downtown has some tall buildings it doesn't have nearly the city energy that Capitol Hill does. Capitol Hill is an arts and nightlife destination with a lot of foot traffic, and much of the population doesn't own a car there. DT Bellevue is sort of walkable too, but filled with national chains and every new development has a big parking garage. Many describe it as a giant mall, although a lot of good Seattle restaurants have opened branches in Bellevue recently. It's way more yuppie/frat alum oriented. It's also getting an underground light rail "subway" station but not until 2021.

It looks like this: restaurants - Google Maps

Of course, the benefits of DT Bellevue are you're closer to your job, but Capitol Hill is much better if you're looking for a unique, urban experience. I-90 bridge traffic has gotten pretty bad since the 520 tolls started, so that's a factor.

Overall, there's a lot of other neighborhoods in Seattle I'd consider if you don't mind a longer commute - Belltown, Queen Anne, U-District. Ballard and Phinney/Greenwood are my favorite Seattle neighborhoods but they're pretty far from Redmond. Fremont is a little closer but, of all the cool neighborhoods in Seattle, I'd say Capitol Hill or Belltown are your best bets in terms of proximity. If you're working for microsoft, they have a very good "Connector" employee transportation service that can swoop you up from many points in the City.

Anyway, best of luck!

Last edited by orzo; 05-06-2012 at 05:37 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM

When I meant the Broadway District, I was referring to the NW part of Cap Hill (the area by 5 around republican and mercer).

How long does the commute take via 520 or 90? WSDOT/Google Maps says 20 minutes from Seattle to Redmond which seems perfectly fine but I've seen estimates between 45min-2hours.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
How long does the commute take via 520 or 90? WSDOT/Google Maps says 20 minutes from Seattle to Redmond which seems perfectly fine but I've seen estimates between 45min-2hours.
Depends on what time you go. If you go when there's no traffic, then yes, Seattle to Redmond can take 20 minutes. I don't agree with the 2 hours unless they're saying 2 hours round-trip total in a day. If there's an accident, then oh yea, that sucks. Otherwise, during rush, 45 minutes would be a good bar to set around.

520 was pretty bad, but once the tolls set in, it only retain around 40-50% of its old traffic-- which means the other routes are now a bit more clogged than usual. The toll rate will go up this summer, which probably will lessen the amount of traffic just a bit.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Would 90 take the same amount of time too (45 minutes)?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM

42 posts, read 88,679 times
I will ABSOLUTELY recommend living in downtown Bellevue - SO many fun things to do/see. There are lots of great restaurants, it's extremely safe and if you are working on the east side it's nice to not worry about commuting on 90 every day. It would probably be about 45 - an hour a majority of the time but when 520 is closed be prepared for a rough commute. I work in Issaquah and some of my coworkers who live in Seattle say it takes 2+ hours when 520 is closed. This is probably them being dramatic but I do know it takes forever.

As far as character goes, Bellevue does not compare to capitol hill. Bellevue is new, shiny and perfectly landscaped. Capitol hill is urban, tons of character and pretty comparable in price.

Good luck with your house hunt!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
I've lived in Bellevue and currently live in Cap Hill (near Mercer & Belmont). I recently left my job, but I used to commute to 520 & 148th Ave NE on a daily basis.

Bellevue is certainly more car-friendly than Cap Hill. The city has done a lot to try to develop its core into a more urban, walkable place. It is new, shiny, very safe and has lots of restaurants, shopping and amenities. It's so shiney, new and safe that it's been described as 'sterile', but there is no denying that you can get more space and modern conveniences for your money due to the newer construction (bigger bathrooms, better parking and typically your own washer/dryer). It's definitely a decent commute to Redmond and the money you'd save in tolls annually could equal a month's rent (unless you're willing to spend the extra time on 90).

Capitol Hill is dense, urban, and it's worth your firstborn to find street parking so if you end up here - make sure wherever you rent includes parking or has it available. It's worth the extra $$. It's also one of the better commutes to the eastside from Seattle. 20-25 minutes is definitely doable in the morning and 30-45 minutes would be likely in the afternoon (those times are for 520). The nice thing is that once you're here - you can forget about the car because it's so darn walkable. There are many grocery stores, restaurants, clothing shops and other essentials. Cap Hill has lots of 'character' which means old buildings (and all of their plusses and minuses), unique shops and colorful inhabitants.

That 'character' and walkability are two of the biggest reasons we moved here, but I lived in Bellevue for years and also have nothing but good things to say about it - Cap Hill is just a better fit for the things I like to do when not working.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
When I meant the Broadway District, I was referring to the NW part of Cap Hill (the area by 5 around republican and mercer).

That area is residential, but I wouldn't call it suburban. It looks like this:

republican and mercer seattle, wa - Google Maps

And you are relatively close to a lot of amenities on Broadway itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area