Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

If someone moves from SF/LA to Seattle...does Seattle look really caucasian-dominated?

I ask this because many people across the country think of Seattle as caucasian and asian.

However, if coming from California, I'd imagine the Asian population could be slightly less than SF or LA....and excluding Asians, I'd imagine Seattle be very caucasian-dominated in general appearance.

But, just thought I'd ask if it came across that way to others as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If someone moves from SF/LA to Seattle...does Seattle look really caucasian-dominated?

I ask this because many people across the country think of Seattle as caucasian and asian.

However, if coming from California, I'd imagine the Asian population could be slightly less than SF or LA....and excluding Asians, I'd imagine Seattle be very caucasian-dominated in general appearance.

Considering that Whites still make up 72% of the US population, anyplace outside of CA and areas of TX and the South, the population is going to be primarily White.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Seattle is very white by comparison. A lot fewer latinos as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
It depends where in Seattle you go. In general, Seattle is pretty white, around 65%?, and when people are asked on City-Data where the "nice" parts of Seattle are, those are typically neighborhoods with 85% white populations. But if you choose to, you can find areas that are barely caucasian. Take the light rail to Othello station, for example. It's a fun mix of people and businesses. Whites aren't so rare there that you'd get stared at, but there's a big representation of Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Mexican, etc.
White Center, just south of the Seattle city limits, is another fun mix of people. South Park, within the city limits(but barely) has a more Mexican influence. The 37th legislative district is about 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 Asian. The Central District used to be 80-90% black, but now is about 1/3 black.
Beacon Hill has a lot of Asians and Latinos.
But Greenlake, Phinney, Wallingford, Ballard? Hip and cool as they may be, you're going to see an awful lot of white faces.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

214 posts, read 649,708 times
Poster above seems just about right. Although I would say Seattle is primarily white I think there is a great mix of people here from all over. Some states/citys have a large amount of asian people, hispanic people etc. I think we have a good mix of people from all over.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Compared to the Bay Area, one of the most diverse places in the country, the Seattle metro area will seem very White. But as others have said, there are sections of the city that are clear exceptions.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Seattle has the most diverse ZIP code in the nation. It's fact, you can check it out yourself.

And I agree with Ira. There are some places that are very white, like Ballard and Fremont and Wallingford. But then there's the U district and north of there to Northgate, which are all diverse areas.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Most West Coast cities are basically the same as far as race, so, who really cares. We just don't pay any attention to such things. It's just you outsiders that concern yourselves with such trivial things and is really none of you business.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Seattle has the most diverse ZIP code in the nation. It's fact, you can check it out yourself.
And what zip code would this be exactly?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
And what zip code would this be exactly?
That would be the 98118 zip code, and it's being " the most diverse zip code in the nation" may or may not be true.
98118 America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: