Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,697,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
I love when subjective views are stated as fact. If you like wilderness, mountains, etc, Seattle will look better. If you like a more mild, mediterranean climate, SF will look better. I tend to prefer SF's islands, more expansive bay, hills, etc., but I also love and appreciate Seattle. It's just my personal preference.
I'm not talking about climate. I'm talking about the level of density when your plane is leaving or arriving in SF. It is a sea of concrete with little relief. Sure SF has a beautiful skyline, but it is built so densely with very little greenery left among the hills.

I hope Seattle never lets that happen and I hope the rain keeps the population low enough that we are never so densely built. If we can grow smartly, establish smaller tech centers around the Puget Sound Region with efficient transportation among the centers, that would be ideal. And plenty of protected greenery in-between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,559,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm not talking about climate. I'm talking about the level of density when your plane is leaving or arriving in SF. It is a sea of concrete with little relief. Sure SF has a beautiful skyline, but it is built so densely with very little greenery left among the hills.
Maybe you should try checking out the place from ground level instead of an airplane window before you pass judgement. You have no idea what you're talking about. No wonder Seattle people think their **** don't stink.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,697,428 times
Evergraystate, I'm sorry you're miserable. I thought you'd be back in the Bay Area by now. If you read my earlier posts you would see that I quite like the Bay Area, that its biggest problem is that it is a great place that everyone moved to and it is very built up. And if you're honest, you know it too. I've seen it from all angles and have had the good fortune to stay at some amazing places such as near the base of the Golden Gate Bridge on the North side. The Bay Area is beautiful, just a victim of its incredible success. I hope you are home soon.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 PM

731 posts, read 934,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I am also very concerned about this topic. We are possibly contemplating a move but we are very happy with our current lifestyle in SoCal. We live a block away from the beach so we are used to having a good amount of sun, jogging paths along the beach, easy walk to the pier, etc. We open up our french doors to the balcony and are greeted with ocean breezes and a nice view.

It would be a major pain to get over there, find out we are miserable, and have to move back after quitting our jobs, selling our house, etc.

We have discussed it more and I think it is more likely now that if we do move we will rent out our house here and rent up there in Seattle just to make sure we're happy there. If we really do like it, we'll consider buying after 1 year. Seems like the smart thing to do for anyone who moves up there from SoCal.

It sounds like some people love it up there and some really have problems adjusting. I think I'll be ok since I lived in various places like Michigan, Asia, and NorCal but I've been in SoCal for the past 14 years (gee, time flies like crazy huh?) so I may be more used to this area than I think.
Don't do it! You talk about loving all the things in CA that we don't have here. I live near the water in Seattle and that just makes it cooler and more windy.

I have a friend who moved here from Laguna Beach and has had nothing but regrets the whole time. She now lives in Uggs and sweaters and no longer worries about hair and make up or working out and staying in shape. None of that stuff feels like it's worth the effort up here and that's how our culture is here (which is nice, if that's your preference).

Her husband on the otherhand likes it here, but I think that has a lot to do with a greatly improved job situation. Although, I'm not sure he does his hair either... :-)

I'm a native Seattlite and I would move to CA in a heartbeat if I could afford it and my husband would go!

If what you're really looking for is a good drizzly day to curl up in front of the fire with a good book, we can provide you with 300 of those days a year and you'll be in heaven!

Today was about 60 degrees and damp (you could see misty rain much of the day). I had to put on my gas fireplace and couldn't get warm. I finally took off my down vest while cooking dinner, so don't let the temps fool you.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,431,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Don't do it! You talk about loving all the things in CA that we don't have here. I live near the water in Seattle and that just makes it cooler and more windy.

I have a friend who moved here from Laguna Beach and has had nothing but regrets the whole time. She now lives in Uggs and sweaters and no longer worries about hair and make up or working out and staying in shape. None of that stuff feels like it's worth the effort up here and that's how our culture is here (which is nice, if that's your preference).

Her husband on the otherhand likes it here, but I think that has a lot to do with a greatly improved job situation. Although, I'm not sure he does his hair either... :-)

I'm a native Seattlite and I would move to CA in a heartbeat if I could afford it and my husband would go!

If what you're really looking for is a good drizzly day to curl up in front of the fire with a good book, we can provide you with 300 of those days a year and you'll be in heaven!

Today was about 60 degrees and damp (you could see misty rain much of the day). I had to put on my gas fireplace and couldn't get warm. I finally took off my down vest while cooking dinner, so don't let the temps fool you.
We will see how this goes. I signed the job offer so I will be moving up there. We are planning to sell the house down here but we'll see what we can get for it. My realtor is coming by tonight.

I guess I am a little worried because I do like the lifestyle down here but at the same time I am also ready and excited for a change. Also, thinking long term, this is just a much better career move than my current option down here.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the move.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 AM

731 posts, read 934,804 times
At least you'll be moving here right before summer, so you'll be eased into the Seattle lifestyle.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
We will see how this goes. I signed the job offer so I will be moving up there. We are planning to sell the house down here but we'll see what we can get for it. My realtor is coming by tonight.

I guess I am a little worried because I do like the lifestyle down here but at the same time I am also ready and excited for a change. Also, thinking long term, this is just a much better career move than my current option down here.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the move.
Once the novelty wears off (only takes a couple of weeks) you'll regret the move every minute of your life. Good luck

Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,920,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Once the novelty wears off (only takes a couple of weeks) you'll regret the move every minute of your life. Good luck
Boy, Evergray, are you ever a little ray of sunshine!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM

46 posts, read 102,332 times
It's doesn't matter where you live it's has to do with what lives inside you.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetik View Post
It's doesn't matter where you live it's has to do with what lives inside you.
That is so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area