U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 AM

74 posts, read 111,128 times
Question Allergies and Sinus Problems in Seattle???

I am considering a move to Seattle from Texas. Besides all the perks of the Pacific Northwest the major factor in my considering a move is my terrible allergy and sinus problems in Texas. In theory the cool rainy weather would seem to keep dust and pollen out of the air, one would also assume the air quality would be good in Seattle with all the rain. Just wondering if my theory is right. Is Seattle a great place to call home for Allergy sufferers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM

28,621 posts, read 14,353,291 times
I've never had environmental allergy problems in Seattle, I lived there for years. If you do experience pollen allergy problems, go see Will Brucks, who practices in the north end of town. He does an allergy treatment that programs your body to not be allergic anymore. Usually one treatment is enough, he can treat you for several allergies at once, if necessary. The technique is called NAET. It's foolproof. Once you're treated, you're good for the rest of your life, unless you move, and other pollen issues arise.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,600,211 times
I moved here from Austin TX and for our family, allergies were much worse down there. All of us suffered in some form in Texas and now only I suffer up here mildly from trees and grass 6 weeks out of the year. Seattle often ranks in the very bottom of cities for worst allergies. 95/100 on this list whereas many TX cities rank in the Top 25.

http://www.aafa.org/pdfs/FINAL%20pub...pring_2012.pdf

I can't find the full Fall listing anymore but here's an excerpt.

Fall Allergy Capitals

The year we moved here from Austin (2007), Austin won the Fall Allergy Capital of the US and Seattle was either 99 or 100 on the list.

Not to say you won't suffer at all but I find the rain helps so much when I am suffering.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM

thank you both for your input

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,482 times
Well, I guess it kind of varies for each person. I came to Seattle for Univ. of Washington 3 years ago from China (which has a terrible air pollution problem) and I ended up developing long-term sinus infection here, but in general, the environmental condition of Seattle is really good.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 4,043,361 times
It really does vary by person, and not everyone is allergic to the same things. But overall, it makes sense that Seattle would be better than most.

Unlike me, my wife has allergies, and the local newscasts do spend time talking about pollen counts during the weather segments. My understanding is that tree pollen season (alder, birch, poplar, others) is in the spring, and grass pollen kicks in during the late spring to mid-summer. The weed pollen season is during the summer.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
I have several relatives that moved here from the SF bay area that were plagued with allergy problems and have had absolutely no problems here. On the other hand, there are natives I know here that have issues from the yellow fir tree pollen, and cottonwoods, but it's not serious. Mostly the rain keeps the smog away, we rarely have any and when we do we get actual warnings though it's still much more clear than the best days down in CA.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM

45 posts, read 37,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
I am considering a move to Seattle from Texas. Besides all the perks of the Pacific Northwest the major factor in my considering a move is my terrible allergy and sinus problems in Texas. In theory the cool rainy weather would seem to keep dust and pollen out of the air, one would also assume the air quality would be good in Seattle with all the rain. Just wondering if my theory is right. Is Seattle a great place to call home for Allergy sufferers?
I live in Seattle WA, and for the first time in my life I started to develop allergy. I went to the doc and I was told I have not only allergy but asthma aswell. So, I am not sure if this is would be one of the top places to live for people with allergy and asthma but I am sure there many info on google abt it.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetik View Post
I live in Seattle WA, and for the first time in my life I started to develop allergy. I went to the doc and I was told I have not only allergy but asthma aswell. So, I am not sure if this is would be one of the top places to live for people with allergy and asthma but I am sure there many info on google abt it.

Good info, I think your allergy is likely to Mold and Dust Mites, the Asthma is likely aggravated by Dust Mites, I was looking at Hawaii and many people there have Asthma because of excessive Dust Mites....never would have thought it possible being in such a tropical environment...humid environments have lot's of mold overgrowth and dust mites for some reason.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,600,211 times
Seattle actually ranks 99/100 on asthma issues. Not saying you can't get them here but it's not a hotspot.

http://www.aafa.org/pdfs/2012_AC_FinalPublicList1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area