U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 21,853 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job in Seattle and would like to know some data before I make a decision about moving. I currently live in Newnan, GA which is one of the few towns that General Sherman did not burn during the Civil War. It is filled with old Southern mansions, trees, a quaint town square, and extremely friendly people which is a surprise to me because I'm a smart ass Yankee from Pittsburgh, PA! Please provide suggestions of towns similar to Newnan within 25 miles of 700 5th Ave., Seattle. I'm a golfer and in addition to Newnan type towns there should be a lot of golf courses nearby, expecially reasonably priced private clubs ($2500/year).

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,971,221 times
SEATTLE, WA Towns within a 25 Mile Radius of SEATTLE Showing 26 Places

Those are the towns within 25 miles of Seattle.

If you're looking for old civil war sites around here ... I've got news ... it wasn't really populated much yet. So there were no sides here. Mostly gold rush panners who decided to make a living in foresty and wood mills.

So the only thing we have to go for is that you live near a golf club and have friendly people.

And pretty much any one of the towns listed there fits the bill, include the city of Seattle itself. So you're going to really have to give us more ...

What sort of vibe do you want? All the towns and even neighborhoods within Seattle have different feels.

How long do you want to commute? Do you want to ride a ferry to work?

What's your budget for living? Space/rooms/newness/etc requirements?

Any other requirements?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,173 posts, read 56,785,610 times
Having been here 20 years I have yet to see a quaint town square within 25 miles of Seattle. Private golf clubs run about $70,000 plus $300/month.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 AM

1,938 posts, read 5,861,632 times
I don't know that you are going to find quite that here. Probably not even close. The PNW is not the South and vice versa!! No views of majestic Mt. Rainier or Mt. Baker in GA, nor views of the Olympics or Cascades, nor bald eagles flying overhead, or salmon running plentifully in lakes or rivers, nor skiing, and a myriad of other things that are so special about the Northwest.

But, are there some cute towns with golfing nearby? Two that come to mind are North Bend and Snoqualmie. Amazing views, great downtown, friendly folks and the Mt Si Golf Course and Cascade Golf Course. You also have several out in the Carnation WA area which is just the next town north of Snoqualmie. Still a healthy hike from a job in Seattle but people do it and it's very nice small town living with incredible views.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:03 PM

537 posts, read 1,435,340 times
There are many quaint small towns in Western and Eastern Washington. Within 25 miles there are tons.

I got photos if you are interested.

Snohomish (historic streets for blocks upon blocks, Snoqualmie (there is a neat old town too), Issaquah, Sumner, Mill Creek (modern but quaint and nice), and more.

The farther you get from Seattle, the more quaint and historic some towns can become. Sedro Woolley is real historic and under appreciated. Nice clock tower and central plaza on main street, lined with historic buildings. Centralia is a historic town with historic buildings that are quaint. So it varies. Port Townsend is a victorian seafront town, very quaint.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,173 posts, read 56,785,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
There are many quaint small towns in Western and Eastern Washington. Within 25 miles there are tons.

I got photos if you are interested.
I agree those may be quaint but only Issaquah and Mill Creek, the least quaint are within 25 miles, and none have what anyone could consider a town square unless you know of one that I don't, and that's what the OP was asking about.

I would add Poulsbo, Port Townsend and Port Gamble as being quaint but all too far out to commute with the possible exception of Poulsbo if you don't mind paying for the ferry every trip.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm looking for Mayberry RFD typw towns with town squares and Barney Fife. LOL

Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the input. The Cost of Living in the Seattle area is outrageous! $50,000 in Atlanta climbs to $70,000 there! What about houseboat living? Any decent and realistically priced marinas within 10 miles of downtown?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 13,548,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimagoo666 View Post
What about houseboat living? Any decent and realistically priced marinas within 10 miles of downtown?
Very competitive in the rental market-- so probably no "decent and realistically priced" places-- though by whose standards? They get rented right away even at the high cost. I believe the government has already banned new houseboats and is restricting the floating homes which will increase the prices a bit.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 PM

1,938 posts, read 5,861,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimagoo666 View Post
Thanks for the input. The Cost of Living in the Seattle area is outrageous! $50,000 in Atlanta climbs to $70,000 there! What about houseboat living? Any decent and realistically priced marinas within 10 miles of downtown?
Downtown is basically on a marina with many options, not necessarily affordable. You could try some houseboat rentals on South Lake Union (also downtown area...just a different body of water). Think Sleepless in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or