Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,532 times

Advertisements

I moved to Seattle a couple of weeks ago after years of planning and with about double what you have saved. I do have a college degree though. I'm thinking your job search will be limited without a college degree, but also I say do what you feel is in your heart. The job market and local economy is not in as bad shape as many other metro areas. Not to be cliche, but life is short and you don't want to waste it somewhere you don't want to be. People will always say it's a risk, etc., but many things in life are a risk and usually things work out. Remember, most successful people didn't get where they are today without taking risks. It's easy for others not in your situation to say you will burn through the cash quickly or it's a risky move, etc.

Honestly, Seattle is not as expensive as many people say. It all depends on how you handle money, the kind of lifestyle you live and what you consider expensive. I moved from Texas (which many consider cheap, but it really depends where you live in Texas).

The biggest things I've noticed that cost more up here are gas and housing. However, I actually spend LESS on gas overall as I can walk pretty much anywhere. Rent is technically more expensive for the size of what you get, but I feel it's a good trade off for living in the heart of the city and the surrounding scenery. For example, I had a 700 sq. ft. apartment in Uptown Houston and was paying $970 a month (including parking) but had to pay for WSG. Here I live in a 550 sq. ft. apartment on top of Queen Anne hill for $845 a month which includes parking AND WSG. It also has a rooftop deck with views of the city and sound. Granted the place in Houston was much newer, it was still 10 miles from downtown and I had to drive everywhere - even though I was techically in the 'heart' of the city. From my apartment in QA, I can walk 5 minutes and be in the heart of Queen Anne, Kerry Park lookout or the Olympics lookout on Highland Drive. I can walk to Seattle Center in about 20 minutes and downtown in about 30 minutes. I don't have to deal with paying for parking. If I don't feel like walking, the bus stop to downtown is literally outside my front door.

People say groceries are more expensive here, but I haven't really noticed that. If they are, they aren't THAT much more. Sales tax is about 1% higher here than Houston - no biggie. There is no state income tax here just like there isn't in Texas. Electricity is dirt cheap here. I mean really, really cheap. My first bill for a month was $13.92!! Renter's insurance is half what I was paying in Texas. Car insurance is about the same - I think mine went down about $10 for six months and I have a new car (2011). Eating out at restaurants is a little more expensive and I have noticed alcohol is also a bit higher. Really though, the only thing that is a lot more expensive here are houses. Property taxes are cheaper than in Texas though. If you aren't planning on buying a house, then I don't see a huge difference in every day expenses - even coming from what others consider a relatively 'cheap' part of the country.

Anyway, you get the point. 'Expensive' is all in where someone is coming from and how they spend their money. It also depends on if you are single or have a family. I could see how having a family would be more expensive here as you are more likely wanting to buy a house than rent, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 PM

35 posts, read 113,920 times
Good advice guys, thanks! I should mention I'd be open to living outside Seattle too if it'd be easier to find a job and affordable housing. But hopefully somewhere near the general Seattle area.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM

76 posts, read 257,972 times
Just do it, don't wait for a "better" time. Many have, with much less. You may have to cut back on some luxuries while earning a low wage, but that will help you realize that you don't need those things to be happy. Keep working hard, be nice to people, and the rest will fall in place.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,027 times
Like most others said, just do it! You'll be fine with $20K saved up, especially if you are open to living outside of the city. Rent is cheaper in the suburbs.

Mrman78 thanks for your story, that is very inspiring!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,598 times
$20K can last you for 1year+ as long as you don't over spent, don't eat out alot. Renting just outside of the expensive area. Share a 2 room apartment could be a better idea.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,460 times
The OP sounds like he has thought things through, I say go for it as well! Just make your moves carefully and prudently and I feel like things will work out well for you.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM

123 posts, read 245,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
20K can disappear quickly in Seattle. It probably has more life in SLC. That said, go where your dreams are. Life is for the living, and living brings life.

So very true. At 27 you need to go for it, and enjoy ride!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 AM

24 posts, read 65,900 times
There's lots of good advice here, so I'll try not to repeat too much of it.
Your twenties is the best time to make a move like this, and as hard as it might be it gets more difficult as you get older and build firmer ties.
Don't live in the suburbs: the city is the place for a young single person; you can move out to the burbs later. Look for a cheap room in a close-in neighborhood (e.g. First Hill, Lower Queen Anne, Pioneer Square) then hit some downtown employment agencies - and be prepared to take anything at all, just to get some income. Once you have something that covers your outgoings and you stop burning your savings, then you can think about getting a job you like at your convenience.
You won't be able to shop at Walmart (unless you live in the south end), but the key to cheap food is not eating out and buying simple foods that you prepare yourself. (Maybe you already know this, sorry.) As long as you can get some sort of employment before you run out of money, I think it's a realsitic move. Good luck.

SG

Old 05-23-2012, 03:08 PM

35 posts, read 113,920 times
your responses have inspired me! I'm planning on an August move. Thanks a lot all

Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,532 times
Just so you know, the new downtown Target is hiring. I have an interview there next Friday for a part-time job. I have absolutely no experience in retail and feel totally over-qualified, so the fact they contacted me at all means they must be needing people lol. Like SeaGuy said, get any job to have at least some income coming in and then look for something you really want. I have plenty of savings and don't really NEED a job for a while, but I like to busy, so a part-time job is perfect. Plus I will be attending UW in the evenings starting in September, so even if I just did this for the Summer, it would go towards my tuition rather than pulling it out of savings or adding another student loan. I do have other opportunities that are closer to what I do, but not sure when they will materialise. Professional positions always take forever to go through the process too. I figured what the hell and applied to Target. Even if I don't get it, at least it's interview experience!

I love it here and I'll do whatever I have to to stay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area