Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,379 times

Advertisements

First, let me thank everyone in advance for any help you may be able to offer. I am relocating to Seattle and could use some practical advice. A bit about me: I am a single guy in his early 30’s whose only ‘child’ is a pretty chill 7 yr old beagle. I spent the last seven years in Northern Virgina, about 20 miles from Washington, D.C., where I taught at a high school and while there finished a master’s degree in public administration with a concentration in state and local government. I moved back to western Pennsylvania last summer to fix and sell a house I had inherited and generally be present/care for an ailing parent. I am now more than ready to move on and would like to go back to school and there are two UW programs (NPO mgt and paralegal classes) I could do nights/weekends that would be perfect to help my resume and perhaps help me transition to a new career.

Here are my questions:

1.) Where is a good place/area for me? Obviously the cheaper the better but is around $800/month possible anywhere decent? My biggest considerations are safety, distance to UW (although I’d assume I’d be against traffic more often than not?), I do need parking, and most importantly, willingness to allow a dog. The dog is sweet and relaxed but is a shelter dog and still a bit territorial so we don't do or need dog parks, etc, just room to do his business.

2.) What is the best option for me in terms of being able to rent? Will every place require proof of employment/income or just run a background/credit check? Truthfully I have enough money saved to pay for the year I will definitely be there taking classes and will most likely look for work but will not have such immediately. I do have good credit though and could provide references/#s of past landlords/complexs where i have resided.

I do miss school, want to take these classes, and have always wanted to live in the area and cannot think of a better time or excuse to do so. I am worried though finding a decent place that will rent to me and be good for my dog. Any words of advice and/or wisdom? Open to job and apartment offers too—half kidding Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
I would think there are plenty available rentals (if you're open to roommates) in the U District .. that's the business the landlords in that area are in ... renting to students.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,906 times
I live in U district and love it. Just moved here 28 days ago. 1 br can be done for 800 BUT the dog may need some leg work. Some nice houses in the area have rooms for less than 600 and may allow a nice dog if you try to help out. Parking is a issue. I do not have a car. I can walk anywhere between 50th down to puget and from wallingford to the husky stadium and have been okay doing that (map it). I saw some houses sell parking and some have it in the rent, the ones that sell on my street are asking 40-60$ a month.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,379 times
Any other words of advice? Really would rather not have a roommate...just need a safe, small place with parking that'll take a dog....help?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
$800 is hard to come by without a roommate even without a dog or parking. The better deals are snapped up quickly, often by word of mouth. One thing going for you is that some students will be moving out for the summer. If you don't mind a little noise and watching your back you may find something on the streets a block or two off of Lake City Way or Aurora Avenue. Also, look for a "mother in law" apartment in a basement in CL or the Sunday Seattle Times.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,532 times
There are plenty of places in the the student ghetto area. My son just found an apartment easily but has two others and no pets. He did mention that they seemed to be getting snapped up quickly for next academic year.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
You could try Lake City... but its not exactly a desirable neighborhood nor is it regarded as "safe". But it's still cheap, and is more likely to offer free parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: