U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM

149 posts, read 349,341 times
Default Is Kent really that bad?

I am going to be moving to Seattle area in about a year. I can get a transfer to a location in Kent. I am trying to decide on a town to settle in, I prefer to be as close to Kent as possible. I of course want to live in the most safe place as possible and affordable.
I am originally from a very bad area outside of Chicago (Cicero) and now live in Boise. So I am sure anywhere in Seattle area is nothing compared to what I grew up with. As I have read there aren't really "ghettos" in Seattle.

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:43 AM

626 posts, read 503,848 times
I love Kent. I'm also from Illinois (you know Danville?) and Kent reminds me of Danville in some ways; I think of the population being those who work in industrial or manufacturing environments. Thus, it is rather diverse with significant Black, Asian, and Latino populations (but nothing compared to Cicero). It isn't a posh or flashy suburb like you will find on the east side but if you live closer to 18, you will find newer subdivisions.

The crime index is slightly higher than Cicero and twice the rate of Boise, but still much lower than Danville (and Danville is a third of the size of Cicero and Kent), so I consider it a relatively safe place. I think you will find that many people up in the Seattle area will label just about any area with a significant Brown population to be unsafe thus an unworthy spot for raising their kids and sheltering their family. Or, at least that is the impression I get after hanging on this board for so long.

So is Kent really that bad? No, not really. But it truly depends on your comfort level in terms of ethnic and economic diversity. I'm comfortable here, but I'm also Brown and have many blue collar relatives.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM

7,976 posts, read 13,473,218 times
Kent is physically pretty big, and has a bunch of different neighborhoods. Some are nicer than others, and none of them are all that horrible. Parts of downtown Kent are a bit sketchy, especially just east of Central Avenue, although the Scenic Hill area has some gorgeous old houses, big trees, and nice views....The area that borders Sea-Tac can be a little run down, but even there there's a lot of respectable middle class people( and an awesome off leash dog area)...The East Hill is often thought of as "ghetto" but it too is mostly folks who work for a living and maintain their lawns. And it's just an interesting area due to it's ethnic diversity, which is reflected in what kind of stores and restaurants are there. They range from a Mexican wedding store to several Indian restaurants, Vietnamese soup places, Russain/Ukranian grocers, BBQ joints, etc.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM

7,906 posts, read 5,655,030 times
Not really, honestly. The whole Kent/Auburn/Federal Way area was pretty dicey when I was growing up in that area, back in the early-to-mid 90's, but really since the late 90's, it's gotten a lot safer and less sketchy. A lot of middle-class families, pretty diverse - I'll go out on a limb here and say that Asian families that started moving there in the 90's did a lot to bring the area up.

When I lived in Seattle, I dated a gal who was 6 years younger than me and had grown up in the area. Neither her nor her friends had much of any idea how nasty it'd been just a few years before they were of school age; they'd heard that it had been, but were all pretty well insulated from it. It was odd to me, driving around there as an adult and seeing how trailer parks had been turned into 4bd/3ba housing developments, how rusted-out and falling-apart old Chevy sedans had given way to newer minivans... if you're looking for a working middle-class, middle-of-the-road type suburb, you could certainly do worse than Kent.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM

I have heard of Danville but do not know much about it. I always get a face if I tell people I am from Cicero because people know it is a horribly rough area and it is a bit infamous. It has been over 10 years since I have been gone and I hear is much worse.

I have no issue with being in an ethnic area at all. Being from Chicago area which is diverse, I am used to it. Boise is actually a little weird a lot of the time because the lack of different kinds of people. I love the culture and to me the more different people from all over the place the more cool shops and restaurants there are for my husband and I to explore. I spent a lot of time in the North Side of Chicago and used to love all the places my grandmother took me.

We do not and will not be having kids so schools and things like that are not an issue. I just want to feel safe and like I don't have to carry pepper spray with me all the time. I get so many different perspectives of Seattle area in general, it's either known as a really safe area or bad crime. So It is confusing when I read posts on here.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM

5,339 posts, read 5,636,882 times
LOL. There really isn't a whole lot of places that are *that* bad (like Cicero-- well, actually we don't have an equivalent here).

You have to realize as well, anything south of Seattle isn't well regarded anyways-- and lot of it is undeserved really.

Just tell us what you're looking for, we can toss out a few suggestions.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 PM

7,906 posts, read 5,655,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
We do not and will not be having kids so schools and things like that are not an issue. I just want to feel safe and like I don't have to carry pepper spray with me all the time. I get so many different perspectives of Seattle area in general, it's either known as a really safe area or bad crime. So It is confusing when I read posts on here.
Well, I've lived in a lot of different areas and cities - Boston, Seattle, NYC, LA, SF as far as cities go... and more rural areas in NH, MA, WA, OR. I've been all over...

As far as violent crime in the Seattle area? Not really all that bad, IIRC it's safer than San Francisco. Easily safer on the whole than LA or NYC. To put it in perspective, my female friend who was my roommate up there walks through downtown alone at night to get home and hasn't ever been hassled, at all. She carries pepper spray just in case but never anticipates using it. There are certainly rough areas, for instance the International District at night, but that area has nothing to do with Kent at all - they're about as far removed from one another as it gets, and there's not necessarily any reason you'd find yourself there.

If you drive a Honda, Subaru, or any Japanese car that could be considered "desirable" by thieves and live in the Kent/Auburn/Federal Way area, make sure it's garaged and/or has a SERIOUS alarm system or lojack. Mine got broken into and stripped by a couple guys based out of Kent, and my neighbors didn't even call 911 when they saw someone putting the seats into a pickup ("oh, we thought maybe they were your friends... we didn't want to get involved."). Incidentally, my aforementioned ex who lived there had a younger brother who was part of a Vietnamese auto theft ring in that area and was constantly in-and-out of jail. Hell, even though her brother was part of a ring, in the span of a year and a half, she had three cars stolen - a Subaru Impreza WRX, a base-model Honda Accord coupe, and a 4-door Integra.

But if you drive an American or European car, relax. In terms of physical voilence, the area is generally very suburban and there aren't many people just mulling around waiting to cause trouble. The only recurring thing I've heard from friends or acquaintances who live there and don't have a family is that it's not very exciting, but that said, I found people in that area to be friendlier than people in Seattle itself so I went to more social events there... go figure.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, I've lived in a lot of different areas and cities - Boston, Seattle, NYC, LA, SF as far as cities go... and more rural areas in NH, MA, WA, OR. I've been all over...

As far as violent crime in the Seattle area? Not really all that bad, IIRC it's safer than San Francisco. Easily safer on the whole than LA or NYC. To put it in perspective, my female friend who was my roommate up there walks through downtown alone at night to get home and hasn't ever been hassled, at all. She carries pepper spray just in case but never anticipates using it. There are certainly rough areas, for instance the International District at night, but that area has nothing to do with Kent at all - they're about as far removed from one another as it gets, and there's not necessarily any reason you'd find yourself there.

If you drive a Honda, Subaru, or any Japanese car that could be considered "desirable" by thieves and live in the Kent/Auburn/Federal Way area, make sure it's garaged and/or has a SERIOUS alarm system or lojack. Mine got broken into and stripped by a couple guys based out of Kent, and my neighbors didn't even call 911 when they saw someone putting the seats into a pickup ("oh, we thought maybe they were your friends... we didn't want to get involved."). Incidentally, my aforementioned ex who lived there had a younger brother who was part of a Vietnamese auto theft ring in that area and was constantly in-and-out of jail. Hell, even though her brother was part of a ring, in the span of a year and a half, she had three cars stolen - a Subaru Impreza WRX, a base-model Honda Accord coupe, and a 4-door Integra.

But if you drive an American or European car, relax. In terms of physical voilence, the area is generally very suburban and there aren't many people just mulling around waiting to cause trouble. The only recurring thing I've heard from friends or acquaintances who live there and don't have a family is that it's not very exciting, but that said, I found people in that area to be friendlier than people in Seattle itself so I went to more social events there... go figure.

I have 2 really beat up Buicks and doubt will be something any thieves would want. I am not even sure if I will bring them when I go. I know the 95 is not going to make it and 2000 is in a little better shape. They are salvaged titled cars one we wrecked and fixed ourselves and one we bought at an auto auction for wrecked cars. Not very desierable but if a their would want it they would be doing me a big favor! haha

What are the closest parts directly in Seattle would be the shortest communte to Kent and most afforable? I would love to be able to live directly in Seattle but I have pretty much dismissed it because of distance and cost.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM

7,976 posts, read 13,473,218 times
The closest parts of Seattle to Kent would be the most affordable. Some of those places are pretty undesirable, like Rainier View and Rainier Beach, but Lakeridge is pretty nice. Columbia City and Seward Park are just a little further, but are pretty nice.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM

346 posts, read 428,193 times
I think Kent is pretty safe. There are a lot of car breakins though. I was staying with my uncle in the East Hill area, and woke up one morning to find that he'd left his car unlocked and some thieves had rifled through it. They took about a dollar in change and a 4 dollar pair of sun glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area