Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

We had this period where I think outside gangs were trying to establish drug selling territories. There was a gang task force that focused on that and the murders dropped. We still get some horrific stories, and the media treats each one as if we were back in the 90's. St Paul, safe as it is, has had things like a family home firebombed after someone told the cops info about gang members. And there was a shootout on University Avenue where a little black girl died in the crossfire. As safe as St Paul is, that REALLY got the residents excited. But through it all, St Paul had a pretty low crime rate. I really wonder if the media didn't try to exploit some of these stories. Most stations are owned by outside interests that don't really care what harm they do.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
It's all relative.

You get a really safe city like Seattle and you have one year where it gets all nutty. For some reason or another kids decides they want to spray bullets all over the place, more so than before, and you get a couple deranged and insane people kill a bunch of people.

It's a statistical anomaly this year. end of story. I'm not going to hide under my bed with my shotgun this year.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 AM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've learned something about statistics. Statistics can be used to portray a situation in any way........
Did you know that 87% of statistics are just made up on the spot?.............Like this one.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 AM

90 posts, read 355,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
rather prescient video, I watched the whole thing. Well done.

Thank You Glad you enjoyed it...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
The types of murders going on in Seattle are what's alarming. I could care less about gang bangers offing eachother, but these nuts out there seem to really hate cops, and are not shy about acting on it. Seems every time I look at the Seattle Times site some vigilante is taking a shot at a cop. If they'll go after cops, then what would they do to you or your family? The coffee shops seem to be unsafe places all of a sudden. Didn't one guy blow away a bunch of cops in a coffee shop? Then you have this nut the other day.......just saying.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
The Globe and Mail - one of Canada's biggest newspapers - ran this story today about the violence in Seattle:

South of Vancouver, a city asks, 'What is going on?'

Quote:
City Councillor Bruce Harrell, chair of Seattle’s public-safety committee, was blunt during a news conference... Citing overall gun deaths in the United States, Mr. Harrell said “violence is ubiquitous in our country.”

Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
From the comments...
Quote:
"What could possibly be going on?" they ask. They've driven wages to rock bottom, systematically built a brutal, uncaring society, filled it to bursting with guns for everyone, and impoverished an entire class of people while others drive eighty thousand dollar cars. A huge proportion of their population is incarcerated in imprison-for-money institutions. Their sociologists told them exactly what would happen, but hey, a seventy thousand dollar car just wouldn't cut it - the guys running the show had to have more. What an incredible surprise.

And we here in Canada hold that out as success. Our prisons are being built. Our gun laws are being dismantled. Our wages are being dropped. Soon, we will be asking "what could possibly be going on?"

Old 06-02-2012, 05:11 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
From the comments...
I don't agree.

What's going on is the kids from 2-3 years ago are now older or moved on, and a new batch are for whatever reason more violent. Combine with recession, you get gun violence. Maybe gutting the vice and gang relations squads wasn't such a good idea, eh McSchwinn?

And the most recent episode was the failure of family, friends, and associates to notice a problem and intervene. I'm sorry, but I value my friends and family. If I notice one taking up extremist views, is highly irritable always and angry, and likes guns, these are all gigantic red flags to me that perhaps an intervention is necessary.

I squarely blame the family and friends for not intervening and recommending this guy go to a mental clinic. The family should be sued by the victims' families for gross negligence. "We saw this coming." Oh really? Well maybe you should be sued for inaction and not preventing the deaths of five innocent people.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
today's Seattle times ...

2 killed, 3 wounded in daytime shooting at UW...
Why wasn't this all over the national news? One person gets shot at Virginia Tech, and it's a national scandal. What's the UW, chopped liver? Nobody cares?

I attribute this shooting at the U to the decline of the University District over the last 2-3 decades. It used to be a popular shopping center, now it's Homeless Row.

That said, I still have a number of friends living in Seattle (I went to university there, and lived there for 20 years afterwards), and no one has mentioned crime. It's a non-issue for them. Some complain about the economy going downhill, and mismanagement by the City Council, but no one mentions crime.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why wasn't this all over the national news? One person gets shot at Virginia Tech, and it's a national scandal. What's the UW, chopped liver? Nobody cares?

I attribute this shooting at the U to the decline of the University District over the last 2-3 decades. It used to be a popular shopping center, now it's Homeless Row.
It... was. I remember seeing it on Yahoo and I'm sure there were others. It wasn't at UW, it was in the U-District. A total of 5 people died, the man also killed the lady in DT Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area