Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times

Advertisements

3 killed, 2 wounded in Seattle shooting; gunman still at large | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Media outlets are reporting that police are searching for an armed man who shot five people, killing three at a Seattle café on Wednesday.

KIRO-TV reports that the two surviving victims, two men are in critical condition. Of the three victims who died, two men died at the scene and a woman died later at a hospital. One of the men was described as a performance artist who was known as the "godfather of Café Racer. " Both of the men were members of a local band, God's Favorite Beefcake.

Before the shooting, someone reported that a man was making suicidal threats, according to the Seattle Post Intelligencer. Officers aren't sure yet if it has any connection to the shooting.

Schools in the area were put on lockdown as officers went door-to-door within a 10-block radius of the café searching for the suspect.

Police were also investigating the fatal shooting of a woman in a downtown parking lot on Wednesday as part of a suspected carjacking. Authorities don't know if the two shootings are related, according to The Associated Press.

The Seattle PI notes that Seattle has seen an unusual spike in homicides, 15 through Friday, compared to 20 total in each of the previous two years.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Gunman shot himself on the sidewalk.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM

118 posts, read 261,448 times
probably transplants... no surprise here

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
probably transplants... no surprise here
Report I read said that he was from Ellensburg, and they spoke to his brother, who was also from there, so... doesn't sound like it. Sorry, not all natives are saints and not all transplants are monsters.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Report I read said that he was from Ellensburg, and they spoke to his brother, who was also from there, so... doesn't sound like it. Sorry, not all natives are saints and not all transplants are monsters.
NWR is sitting in Alaska writing insults and gibberish; he'll make more sense when he's sober.

Unbelievably, the shooter survived shooting himself in the head.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM

146 posts, read 306,394 times
Default Seattle shootings

Once agian some crazy nut job who should never have been sold a gun in the first place. Am moving from Fla to Seattle over the summer. Shootings are way up here too, even worse than Seattle. The only answer has to be gun control. Until some politician has the guts to push for this, then non will get my vote. This guy had 2 semi automatics. Somebody knew he had them and no one told authorities.....business as usual....

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
Once agian some crazy nut job who should never have been sold a gun in the first place. Am moving from Fla to Seattle over the summer. Shootings are way up here too, even worse than Seattle. The only answer has to be gun control. Until some politician has the guts to push for this, then non will get my vote. This guy had 2 semi automatics. Somebody knew he had them and no one told authorities.....business as usual....
Washington has one of the highest rates of gun ownership - more guns here per capita than Texas - in the US, and yet one of the lowest for gun violence. Guns aren't the problem.

As you know, the majority of gun crimes in this city and around the country are committed by people who did not purchase the gun legally, and therefore did not undergo a background check. They view guns as toys and don't take the responsibility seriously. We already have gun control; problem is the people most likely to commit violent crimes aren't the type to follow any laws, particularly laws that hinder their violent attitudes and behaviors. If they did, we wouldn't have to worry about them committing crimes in the first place.

This guy who murdered these 4 people today supposedly has been arrested multiple times in the past, which means he wouldn't have even passed a background check for a handgun. Which means he got his guns from a private seller or they belong to someone else. Semiautomatics are legal, by the way (your post reads as if you think they're illegal), and there is nothing wrong with someone having several of them as long as it's legal to do so.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Wow. In fact, that is a true statement that WA has more gun owners than in TX per capita. I'm surprised having lived in TX. I know many folks that own guns in TX and very few in WA.

States with the most guns - The Daily Beast

Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,899 times
as of now 5 people murdered + the shooter is dead. I dont think any gun laws will protect anybody, I have lived in philadelphia before and buying a gun was extremely easy. I had people on the street come up to me selling a gun.

i'm pretty sure if any person wants a gun illegally, anywhere in America, they can get one if they ask someone that is up to no good to get one for X amount of money.

I'm thinking of moving to another country, as more and more people in America is loosing their jobs and people get desperate. It seems that all over america, cities are having more gun violence. when someone dont have a job, or money, or food, its easier for them to commit bad crimes.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Wow. In fact, that is a true statement that WA has more gun owners than in TX per capita. I'm surprised having lived in TX. I know many folks that own guns in TX and very few in WA.

States with the most guns - The Daily Beast
You probably know plenty of people who own guns...you just don't know they do. The people who take it most seriously usually don't flaunt it. Not only do I have a couple of guns, I have my concealed pistol license. But no one would ever suspect it of me, because there's a negative stigma attached to gun owners. There shouldn't be, because all kinds of people own guns. Come down to West Coast Armory in Bellevue and you'll see all kinds of people - men and women - though they'll all be responsible gun users that would probably change your opinion of gun owners.

ETA: The Seattle Times recently published a column called, "Learning to Live in a Well-Armed State" that was all about gun ownership in Washington. Gun ownership has gone up in this state even since that Daily Beast article you posted. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...6_danny25.html

It includes this excerpt:

Quote:
In March and so far in April, more people have gotten concealed-pistol permits than ever.

It's part of an extraordinary "arming up" of this state that began a few years ago and only seems to be escalating. Since 2009, the number of people licensed to carry here has jumped more than 50 percent, to about 360,000.

Now one in 14 Washington adults is legal to pack concealed heat — nearly triple the rate of the gunslinger state of Texas.

Last edited by BellevueNative; 05-30-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area