Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 11,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yes. Or hire an au pair. Or get your husband to watch him. Single with a 6 month old? Well, maybe you don't get to go to a funeral, because that's a sacrifice you make when you're a single parent. How does your "right" to be there trump over A HUNDRED OTHER PEOPLES' right to not spend 6 hours listening to your kid screaming? See, this is the big gripe I have with newish parents today - they feel it's their right to impede on everybody else around them. Are you going to reimburse me the hundreds of dollars I spent on a ticket because you ruined my entire flight? Of course you won't. And yes, they typically cry for a reason. Boredom, fussiness, don't like the loud noises of the engines, pressurization issues, and a million other things that mean a kid shouldn't be in that situation.

No, I don't have children, but when I do, I'm not going to take them flying until I know they can handle it. I've already had this conversation with mah woman, and she's in total agreement. But yes, clearly it's best to not have people who have respect for others around them and don't think the world revolves around them and that they can impede upon the peace of everybody around them bearing children. I mean, gee, that might result in the kid not being as self-righteous and obnoxious as the "other" type of parent.

There are places where your kid should be, and places where it should not. You'll never see me on a Disney cruise. You'll never hear me utter one word of complaint at an amusement park. Children's CGI movie? Won't spot me in that theatre. Why? Because those are kid domains, and I respect their space (or at the least, tolerate them if I happen to be in their domain). Airplane? NOT a kid domain.
I'm happily married, thank you very much. My only response is that there are reasons that parents take their children on flights, and it isn't always leisurely.

My baby was an absolute angel, but as a mother I understand what parents on flights go through. Your original statement, and what you continue to say is absolutely absurd to assume that people should be taking a train or driving to destination that is 20+ hours away.

I'm hardly self-righteous, or obnoxious. But for you to say that parents shouldn't be allowed to fly with their children is absolute ludicrous. Complain all you want, but it's a service that is being provided to the mass public, not just you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 11,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Dear Grandma,

Sorry we can't visit you for the next nine years. Yeah, I know, you've been wanting to see your new grandchildren. But we can't fly until the kids can promise us that they will never scream again. See, there's a few people out there that are paying $600 to sit in a cramped seat on a noisy airplane and watch a fuzzy little tv set in the seat in front of them for 6 hours. We would just feel TERRIBLE for adding to that noise level a little bit if Junior gets a little fussy. I mean, grown adults shouldn't have to put up with CHILDREN!

Anyways, hope you don't die anytime in the next nine years. We'll send you a Christmas card!
This is the exact reason we took our 6 month old to my husband's grandfathers funeral in Michigan. Grandma is 89 years old. She was so excited to see her new great granddaughter, and she brought such a light in a dark place.

Love this post.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
If I could go back in time, I would tell my folks to NOT let me fly till I was a teenager. Why? Because I would get airsick nearly every single flight.

I didn't scream or yell or kick or annoy my neighbors on purpose, but I'm sure I more than once made a neighbor feel sick since I was barfing halfway to my destination. I remember once that I had thrown up and then didn't have another bag nearby so I barfed all over the seat in front of me. We flew every year at least once and I H-A-T-E-D flying because I knew I would get sick. I wouldn't impose that on anyone.

By the time I was a teen my body had gotten strong enough where I didn't feel sick before even boarding.

So I can totally understand other peoples' revulsion and dismay at having kids on flights. My wife is of the same opinion too. We absolutely will NOT go flying with newborns or toddlers. If my old man and mom want to see their grandkids, they'll just have to fly out here. Sure maybe we will take a train but to be honest first class train tickets are also expensive. Maybe when the youngest is 6 we'll try, but we'll see on how much of a hellion he/she is before we decide.

So in short, I hate it when self-righteous parents feel the need to impose their brats on the rest of us adults in a cramped, stuffy environment, just so they can at best fulfill their extended family's selfish desires by traveling out to see the rest of them rather than them come to you; and at worst fulfill their kids' want to go to Disney World. Sorry. I make myself understood to parents if their kids are being brats on airplanes. And I don't want to spend $350, more than a day's salary after taxes, just to cancel your smelly noisemakers' big mouths. And if a kid is kicking my seat I turn around and lecture them, nevermind their parents. Learn to be good parents and adapt to your kids' behaviors to teach them not to be idiots. Sheesh.

Doubly true for first class. People pay extra so they don't have to put up with that BS. 100% agree with Xanathos.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I should also add that, like some of the other posters, I've experienced at least as many annoying adults on flights as children, and at least the kids have the excuse of...well...being kids.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've never been on a flight where the first class seats were truly separated from the coach seats. On those flights, the noise would be the same, you'd just have a little more room.
A flimsy curtain doesn't quite cut it - I agree.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Dear Grandma,

Sorry we can't visit you for the next nine years. Yeah, I know, you've been wanting to see your new grandchildren. But we can't fly until the kids can promise us that they will never scream again. See, there's a few people out there that are paying $600 to sit in a cramped seat on a noisy airplane and watch a fuzzy little tv set in the seat in front of them for 6 hours. We would just feel TERRIBLE for adding to that noise level a little bit if Junior gets a little fussy. I mean, grown adults shouldn't have to put up with CHILDREN!

Anyways, hope you don't die anytime in the next nine years. We'll send you a Christmas card!
The kids grandma lives in Hawaii?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I should also add that, like some of the other posters, I've experienced at least as many annoying adults on flights as children, and at least the kids have the excuse of...well...being kids.
Kids are easier than chatty pilots or flight attendants trying to sell credit cards.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Actually, I figured out a more annoying group we should ban from air travel: Men who sit with their legs wide apart. Seriously, I don't want your leg rubbing up against mine just so you can air out your jewels. These guys should have to pay for extra for ballsack space.

For good measure, we should ban these guys from buses too. Seriously people, respect the personal space bubble.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Actually, I figured out a more annoying group we should ban from air travel: Men who sit with their legs wide apart. Seriously, I don't want your leg rubbing up against mine just so you can air out your jewels. These guys should have to pay for extra for ballsack space.

For good measure, we should ban these guys from buses too. Seriously people, respect the personal space bubble.
Oh, come on, this is really overstated. Not that big of an issue, for most of us. The average guy won't have any issue with this "issue".

Seriously, if one wants to pay for an all adult flight more power to them. I kind of like the option of enjoying life as it lands (for lack of a better term).

Life is not perfect. Why not just accept that there will be some good days and some bad days? To me, this is just the spectrum that we all experience, and makes life interesting.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Did you ever consider asking any of these people to close their legs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area