Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 29,224 times

Advertisements

I think it's been like that for a long time, I work in Kirkland and saw six panhandlers on a four corner intersection this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
It's because all the cities around Seattle provide free one-way bus fare to Seattle

"Oh no! A dirty dressed person in BELLEVUE!!?!????!!1111!~~~~!1! Not on MY WATCH!" *ships poor homeless person to Seattle*

Freaking Eastside NIMBYs ...

Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 PM

510 posts, read 888,881 times
Many panhandlers are not homeless. There are quite a few (even newspaper articles on them) that bring in more money than most of the people giving them money! One article was about a husband and wife team and they would get all dressed up in tattered clothing and go set up at 'their corner' (can be very territorial), and have her sit in a wheelchair...and she was physically fine. That couple was grossing over $80k/year.
Just a quick example:
Suppose a panhandler was to get $5 per light cycle at an intersection. The light cycle could be every minute (stopping traffic in alternating directions--1 minute north/south stopped, 1 minute east/west stopped--a corner panhandler can work each direction of flow). So over 1 hour (60 minutes) could be $300/hr. For 8 hours a day--$2,400/day. Assume 50 weeks, for 5 days a week, (250 days)--$600,000/year. Maybe $5 was too high an assumption---assume $0.50 avg per light cycle, that yields $60,000/year...and if two people (hubby and wife) then $120K.

I know there really are some folks down on their luck and it is hard to know which are which. There were even tips on how to work it--use a pet (puppy), women do better, and where they target. Places that seem to be more liberal (Seattle) give charity more on an individual basis, where conservative areas people give more to churches and the churches dole out the charity.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
It's because all the cities around Seattle provide free one-way bus fare to Seattle

"Oh no! A dirty dressed person in BELLEVUE!!?!????!!1111!~~~~!1! Not on MY WATCH!" *ships poor homeless person to Seattle*

Freaking Eastside NIMBYs ...
False.
There is actually a large amount of homeless and panhandlers in the suburbs, I see them every day at busy corners with cardboard signs - even in Bellevue.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM

40 posts, read 61,884 times
We have them in Woodinville too. One guy dresses like a construction worker, complete with hardhat and red suspenders.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,559 times
Any "veterans"? The Twin Cities is quite overrun with "veterans". Sometimes I try to visualize them hoisting a gun.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2012 View Post
Last few years downtown and belltown have really gone under and I feel number of homeless people has at least tripled. Now I am even seeing people around Seattle Center, not to mention panhandlers on every freeway exit, going on freeway, or sometimes even at some intersections with lots of traffic. What is going on? I know economy is in sewer but I have been in states where economy hit even harder, were illegal immigrants flooded the market working for 5$ and hour, and still there was not this much beggars and weirdos around. Last week somebody out of the blue started yelling at me. It is not my fault you got where you are...I know this is still far cry from NYC but still.
Whether you know it or not, Seattle is the most homeless friendly state in the Union. Bums and panhanders, and hobos have a great-vine throughout the nation and even into Mexico. Seattle is the place to go for a free handout. The mayor, city council, and the city supports them as they are one of them, and consider them the ideal citizens for the future. 'Come to Seattle, this is your paradise'. I know, I talk with these people as I have volenteered at church shelters, I hear what they are saying.:cool :

Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,559 times
Must be lots of infrastructure providing shelter from the incessant rainstorms. And I guess those who have jobs are a bit wealthier than some other places.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM

872 posts, read 2,029,320 times
I can't stand being on the waterfront in Seattle. I've only been two Seattle twice for a week each visit but my god. I just got back yesterday and its utterly disgusting. Plus, there are the ones (spoken of above) who just harass you and I saw a family sitting down at the waterfront eating and a crazy guy walked up and started yelling at them. Then he say down at their table and started yelling at the cruise ship coming in"hey! What the f••• are you doing?!" it is just awful. Though when I was there in may...there were about half as many id say. But they have to do something about it. Its pretty pathetic when we have crazy people yelling, stalking, and harassing people trying to enjoy the waterfront.

I knew Seattle had ita issues but my opinion has changed of it drastically since what I expected going in the first time a month ago and going back yesterday.

I don't mind the ones who just sit there but yelling at a people and kids should be grounds for arrest or something. Ship them to la, its always sunny there.

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area