Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM

156 posts, read 195,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
It seems like a fair number of people do move here to escape from more conservative or run-down parts of the country.
You haven't seen all of Seattle then. Just because rent is high doesn't mean the new paint is worth the monthly price tag. As with San Francisco, so will it be in Seattle and that's good since it might keep people buying those condos and Craftman-style townhomes so fervently slapped up the last few years. Nothing like a good investment sold to those who yearn for the excitement of misty clouds and temperate temperatures while hacking genes or program code! If they're lucky they might even see a tent city out their window. Or move into one.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,141,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I consider myself an intelligent person, but could you please translate this into common english?
I don't think, this poster is able to do this. It would require that he / she understands himself / herself what they are saying.

In common English, he / she would probably not be able to debate, therefore escape to "joie de vie". Is that a "scare" tactics? Or is it just a result of his / her having no clue of what to say / lack of argument?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

588 posts, read 1,013,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Yes, you could go on ad infinitem, but you would be falling on deaf ears: Evergrey has it in his/her head that Seattle is "the pits", any and all facts to the contrary. He/she is also determined to let everyone know, several times a day, how much Seattle sucks.
It's really not worth debating...
Yes he's achieved troll status. Don't feed him.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM

918 posts, read 1,692,781 times
Quote:
I consider myself an intelligent person, but could you please translate this into common english?
Your post reminded me of Jack Nicholson's line from Few Good Men:

" I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the travel habits of William Santiago"

Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You did not debunk them at all. I not only debunked your debunking, I added more. You can willfully ignore the truth but it doesn't make you right.

I've backed up my position but you still have not posted a link showing how tech companies are all leaving Seattle and moving to Bellevue due to the political environment.

If anyone takes the time to read all those links, they will learn to take your proclamations with a large grain of salt.
Sure I didn't, and sure you did. No, really, I'm sure someone out there actually believes you.

BTW, when you're driving by the HTC building or the Google facility out on the East side, do you close your eyes? Cause that's dangerous driving, especially since you're driving that green 4Runner and all...

Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,760,686 times
Quote:
I'll help. The poster said: "I don't like liberals"

Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,458,464 times
I visited Seattle for the first time earlier this month and it was instantly evident why people fall in love with the city and want to move there. It immediately vaulted into my Top 5 U.S. cities and it's not going anywhere. There is so much character and quirkiness and a chill vibe that combines with gorgeous scenery, cool temperatures and the ability to escape the city into beautiful back country.

What's not to love about Seattle?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Sure I didn't, and sure you did. No, really, I'm sure someone out there actually believes you.

BTW, when you're driving by the HTC building or the Google facility out on the East side, do you close your eyes? Cause that's dangerous driving, especially since you're driving that green 4Runner and all...
I'm starting to think the problem is reading comprehension:

Smartphone maker HTC recently confirmed that it is looking for space in the area to expand its presence.
“It’s certainly always been a hub for technology companies, and it’s grown even more so recently,” said Sally Patterson, a commercial broker with CB Richard Ellis real estate firm. “Technology companies are expanding out into different areas of the market where they find creative spaces, such as the waterfront area, Fremont and Belltown, but people always come back to Pioneer Square because of the tech community there and the buzz around that.”
Tech companies lead ?renaissance? in Seattle's Pioneer Square - Puget Sound Business Journal

Google continues to gobble up office space in the Seattle area, expanding its operations in Fremont and establishing a mysterious new facility in Bothell, GeekWire has learned. The addition of more space in Fremont, where the company has operated an engineering center for the past four years, is not a surprise since Getty Images just vacated its headquarters in the neighborhood. After Getty decided to move to the International District, Google pounced on the space. As war for talent continues, Google opens mysterious Bothell location and expands in Fremont - GeekWire

Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM

156 posts, read 195,123 times
Thank you for the troll status! I only leave from under the bridge to sell a lie about the city, as you know...

Now, as to the "unspoken" reason people move to Seattle?

1. Money & career. The local billionaire tech & property development gurus have made it so. They too are tired of the second "unspoken" reason people move here, which is...
2. The cheap vagabond-type mind that cannot deal with reality and so must create this tired fantasy in the clouds where reality is nice and cushy without honest reflection. These types are professional idiots but not necessarily mere slackers or 'bums', they have a keen sense of imposing their sense of righteous indignation that Seattle stay backwoods and, like, um... uncomplicated- I think this means isolated, full of a vibe of impersonal relations toward everyone due to the fact they cannot handle reality even about themselves. Seattle USED to be the sort of place where self-imagined refugees remitted their tired selves to find sanctuary, to 'just be' aloof, reactionary- full of whack political theory they'll only 'understand' through training and re-inforcement; Subversive in theories, full of hypocrisy, tediously political for the sake of having something to feel and fret over. They offer up what? Superstition & ridicule and a screed always full of buzzwords born floating in some sub-orbital drama that has fallen to earth. Those who know how to channel it can get results.
3. Hey, why not go? (perceived) Glamour attracts plenty of adventurers and some people can't get Pearl Jam, Meg Ryan or Naomi Watts out of their heads.

Now, everyplace has their defenders. Yet this tired pat-pat on the head for that which is best left retired- what are you so defensive about? Some people like committing vain attempts at popping bubbles of silliness, while most just desire that pat-pat on the head of appreciation. You do not find, in most major cities, a population so enamored with its own fringe sadness. Yes. In all the places I've been, Seattlites are usually either desperate for attention in a lost, neglected puppy sense or belligerent for the sake of argument with dim prospects for their dimmer inculcations ('beliefs', for those lacking imagination or vocabulary). I am talking about grown adults who are housed and employed and arbitrarily coherent. Lastly, Seattle has this fuddy-duddy (eww...) old-school hippy-religiousness throwback thing going on that inspires great humor at their calm-yet-frenetic attempts to keep that maudlin skygod nonsense alive by whatever means they can muster, akin to Appalachian snake-charmers but with a polar oppposite catechism.

Above all, typical Seattlites can be voraciously hypocritical in their views because they don't consider them logically but merely accept them out of habit. That is an ugly habit and foul when it surfaces in their cold self-absorbed attempts at communicating to others not so- distant, so obsessively-comulsively homogenous. For a town that is supposedly quite bright you don't get much but the new American academic standard of text-memorizers who cannot extrapolate facts as that has already been taken care of by the slant in the classroom and at home. Though another subject on another thread, you might be surprised how dumbed down a lot of kids are these days simply because they are sold a product (education) and receive nothing more than what most of them can handle (memorized data, a skill set) and then proceed as if they are experts on whatever because so much debt must account for something. Seattle has that sort of mind and the evidence is ubiquitous, but it is changing.

And I don't like conservatives any more than I like liberals. But they do have priorities and their means obviously work or the liberal 'progressives' around here would not have adopted their dogmatic attitudes and tactics.

As for future arrivals? I doubt you would want anathema (Oh, big word!) being spread on the happy pat-pat thing being known. The strange way (in realtime, outside the cyberverse) in which I have been attached onto speaks to me as to how... desperate Seattle is for something new that will finally do what the rain and mist cannot: clean off the mold and bring in something new, something that doesn't reek of guilt and isolation and mummy and daddy's dour 'activism'.

Embrace it, you know you want to. Please do refer to me as 'it' from now on.

Last edited by Frankums; 06-26-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm starting to think the problem is reading comprehension:

Smartphone maker HTC recently confirmed that it is looking for space in the area to expand its presence.
“It’s certainly always been a hub for technology companies, and it’s grown even more so recently,” said Sally Patterson, a commercial broker with CB Richard Ellis real estate firm. “Technology companies are expanding out into different areas of the market where they find creative spaces, such as the waterfront area, Fremont and Belltown, but people always come back to Pioneer Square because of the tech community there and the buzz around that.”
Tech companies lead ?renaissance? in Seattle's Pioneer Square - Puget Sound Business Journal

Google continues to gobble up office space in the Seattle area, expanding its operations in Fremont and establishing a mysterious new facility in Bothell, GeekWire has learned. The addition of more space in Fremont, where the company has operated an engineering center for the past four years, is not a surprise since Getty Images just vacated its headquarters in the neighborhood. After Getty decided to move to the International District, Google pounced on the space. As war for talent continues, Google opens mysterious Bothell location and expands in Fremont - GeekWire
And if only you weren't so dense as to not remember the last time you brought up this argument, you'd recall that the first article was before HTC elected on buying a building in Bellevue near the old Hotel Sierra, and you'd notice that Google's main facilities in the area are on the east side and their purchase of Fremont real estate is a defensive maneuver for possible future growth, but that the space has not been used.

But you are so dense, and you don't remember - and you certainly love conveniently ignoring all the talk about their facilities in Kirkland and Bothell, so you'll continue to believe that you've accomplished something other than prove you have no capacity for learning, reason, or ability to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area