U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM

207 posts, read 213,169 times

Advertisements

If I can have a bunch of friends everywhere I've gone, you better believe ANYONE can. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, gamble, use or even want to hear bad language which means I don't watch TV or go to the movies. I don't dance, shop at malls, and am totally non-religious. Yet, I have always had friends simply by smiling and saying hello to those I come across in my travels.

I cannot tolerate the coarse, stupid, foul mouthed individuals who seem to be on the increase since parents and the educational systems tolerate this behavior now.

IMHO, you would have to be one sorry excuse for a human being not to be able to fit in anywhere.

In case you're wondering, I am an outdoors person. It's raining now, so you have Mother Nature to thank for this post.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM

84 posts, read 95,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This makes some sense. It's like I said earlier, west coast culture, is just different. You make friends here by getting involved in things and finding things you may have in common with people you work with. These people become your friends and quite often so do their friends.

On the flip side of this, many west coast natives often find the east coast to be a little too much in your face and pushy. Not the case if you're a native. It's all perspective and one must adapt to their surroundings.
I've lived on the east coast my whole life and have never felt like I've fit in here. I'm too laid back for the east coast (live in D.C.). And if you hate career centric people/cities don't come to D.C. Even if there are less women in Seattle, at least they'll talk to you. If you try to talk to a woman here you better be buying her a drink before a word comes out of your mouth. There's a very "i'm a woman, so i need to be courted in every aspect of my life" vibe here. Out of all the girls/women i've met, i think two of them don't fit that vibe. But seriously, don't come to D.C. Seattle is number 10 on the worst traffic list, D.C. is number 1, and there's a reason. I'll gladly move to the number 10 worst traffic city to get away from number 1.

See you all in August!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM

12,804 posts, read 10,917,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
Official "Seattle Freeze" Discussion Thread

See post 2214

There is a cadre of folks who make it their mission to use hyperbole to make <insert city here> look bad. I also believe they do this to get a rise from others. It works too. However, in the end, the constant negativity speaks more to their character than the city they disparage.

It's not necessary. However, they won't stop - it's a compulsion and it's sad.
Oh I know. I post in the SF - Oakland forum. Take a peak there one day when you're bored. I personally think these "members" are only here to bash certain cities that may not agree with their ideal view of America if you catch my drift.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
I've lived on the east coast my whole life and have never felt like I've fit in here. I'm too laid back for the east coast (live in D.C.). And if you hate career centric people/cities don't come to D.C. Even if there are less women in Seattle, at least they'll talk to you. If you try to talk to a woman here you better be buying her a drink before a word comes out of your mouth. There's a very "i'm a woman, so i need to be courted in every aspect of my life" vibe here. Out of all the girls/women i've met, i think two of them don't fit that vibe. But seriously, don't come to D.C. Seattle is number 10 on the worst traffic list, D.C. is number 1, and there's a reason. I'll gladly move to the number 10 worst traffic city to get away from number 1.

See you all in August!
According to this, DC is 6 just ahead of Seattle:

Going Nowhere: 10 Worst U.S. Cities for Traffic | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Either way, an improvement. I can believe SF Bay Area is a 3. I can't help but chuckle a little when I read about Seattle's traffic. It gets busy but I'd take it any day over Bay Area traffic. The BART had to shut down here for a number of hours a week ago. The Bay Bridge backed up all the way out through 580, 880 and 80. There was gridlock almost 40 miles down one of the freeways. This is just from one transportation option not working. I'd happily deal with Seattle's traffic even at it's worse.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,378,097 times
Quote:
According to this, DC is 6 just ahead of Seattle:

Going Nowhere: 10 Worst U.S. Cities for Traffic | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Either way, an improvement. I can believe SF Bay Area is a 3. I can't help but chuckle a little when I read about Seattle's traffic. It gets busy but I'd take it any day over Bay Area traffic. The BART had to shut down here for a number of hours a week ago. The Bay Bridge backed up all the way out through 580, 880 and 80. There was gridlock almost 40 miles down one of the freeways. This is just from one transportation option not working. I'd happily deal with Seattle's traffic even at it's worse.
Sadly you're right. And that was my point about the Bay Area. It's so great it's a victim of its own success. That's what I fear for Seattle and why I hope the weather keeps the growth manageable.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sadly you're right. And that was my point about the Bay Area. It's so great it's a victim of its own success. That's what I fear for Seattle and why I hope the weather keeps the growth manageable.
I agree I can easily see the same thing happening to Seattle. There's too much potential there and I know the natives know that and fear it. Hopefully the weather is just bad enough to keep most away. Minneapolis would have grown much more if it weren't for MN weather keeping most away.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,378,097 times
Quote:
I agree I can easily see the same thing happening to Seattle. There's too much potential there and I know the natives know that and fear it. Hopefully the weather is just bad enough to keep most away. Minneapolis would have grown much more if it weren't for MN weather keeping most away.
Exactly. I wouldn't live in Minneapolis due to the snow. When you need a block heater for your car, that's ridiculous. I don't even like to scrape windows and thankfully Seattle doesn't require that very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area