Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 PM

35 posts, read 113,901 times

Advertisements

Well I mentioned my basics like not having a college degree, having 20 k saved, and not having a family to raise to give you a general idea of my situation. But to be more specific, I'd be fine with a room rental off Craigslist to save cash while I establish myself, I don't spend money luxuriously. My work history is in data entry, customer service, and delivery jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
Yay, Fartinginthewind is back to tell us we're all stupid, how he knows Seattle, and how much better Vancouver is! Good news as the site has been kind of slow.
Glad my posts caught your attention and that you've missed me all this time, Farting Husky!

Or was it the smell of my fart that attracted you in the first place? After all, dawgs' noses are so sensitive.

Please note that my post exchange was with one member only, and that I didn't call anybody stupid. But if you insist...

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-28-2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbear View Post
Well I mentioned my basics like not having a college degree, having 20 k saved, and not having a family to raise to give you a general idea of my situation. But to be more specific, I'd be fine with a room rental off Craigslist to save cash while I establish myself, I don't spend money luxuriously. My work history is in data entry, customer service, and delivery jobs.
Compared to the other cities you've listed, the best odds of finding a job is in the Seattle area. Renting a room definitely would save you a lot of money while you establish yourself, that is what a lot recent transplants I know have done.

You have 20K saved, we have a thread on this forum where people talk about moving here with less than what you have: Moving with $6,000 and no job

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Compared to the other cities you've listed, the best odds of finding a job is in the Seattle area. Renting a room definitely would save you a lot of money while you establish yourself, that is what a lot recent transplants I know have done.

You have 20K saved, we have a thread on this forum where people talk about moving here with less than what you have: Moving with $6,000 and no job

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Good advice, so it might be worth moving very near Seattle to expand my job opportunities but is the job outlook far more bleaker in the smaller cities in general or only in comparison to a large city like Seattle? I'd rather have a small town feel but I could settle for a larger area like Tacoma or Kent if there were more jobs to be had.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
i moved to King Couny area for like a month. I lived in the wrong area, Redmond. My manager told me i should get an apartment in Bellevue or Redmond because it will be easier for me to go to work, i work at Redmond.
Just don't pick bellevue or Redmond or any city border those area. so freaking exprience. 9.5% sale tax is crazy, man.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM

The more research I do, Olympia looks very nice and is at least inexpensive compared to other areas closer to Seattle. Obviously coming from Utah, my cost of living is going to go up so i'm prepared for that.
For now Olympia's at the top of my list, I'm still open to any suggestions though

Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM

i did some research, i was able to find some cheap aparment in tacoma, Kent and Renton. Olympia is pretty far form
seattle, I took me 1+ hours to get there. I'm not sure which city will offer better job opportunities for you.
I live in redmond because i already got in job over there and good transportation to seattle.

What kind of jobs are you looking for?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
i did some research, i was able to find some cheap aparment in tacoma, Kent and Renton. Olympia is pretty far form
seattle, I took me 1+ hours to get there. I'm not sure which city will offer better job opportunities for you.
I live in redmond because i already got in job over there and good transportation to seattle.

What kind of jobs are you looking for?
I'd rather not commute all the way to Seattle. I'd like to stick near Olympia and the surrounding area but I'm not too sure about the job opportunities in Olympia. My work experience includes; Data entry, customer service, and delivery driver jobs plus I took a few law classes in college and could maybe do paralegal work.
I also teach guitar and drum lessons to supplement my income, but obviously its not something to rely on.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not commute all the way to Seattle. I'd like to stick near Olympia
that's conflict statement.
i though you want some where near seatle. Olympia is one hour+ away from Seattle.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM

250 posts, read 737,349 times
No conflict for me maybe it is just you did not comprehend his post. He just wants to live and work in a town near Seattle.

As I read his posts he wants to be near enough to visit Seattle but will be hoping to find work in the town where he will live. An hour or even two is not too bad for a weekends jaunt into Seattle.

OP wishing you well. Try Olympia and Bellingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area