U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Midwest
623 posts, read 835,897 times
Reputation: 444

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder4life View Post
I have heard of the article explaining the lack of women in Seattle. And from first hand experience going out multiple times a week it's very true. Putting race aside, the ratio's of men to women are terrible. My friend from East India went back home to find a women to marry. The IT/military population kills the ratio, and you will notice once you hit the streets. .
Yes, but those ratios don't necessarily apply if you zero in on the black population. The national trend for the black population is that there are far more African-American women compared to AA men. I don't know if Seattle is an exception or not. If anything, I would assume the military/IT balances the ratio out for AA men to AA women. But I don't know if there would be more.

As for the folks on here who are frustrated about finding other black people...realize that, in conjunction with the Seattle Freeze, people of all races often complain about finding any significant other in this city. This just isn't a social city. So as a minority within a minority in this city searching for the same minority, you're going to have to put more effort into being proactive socially. Sucks, but that's life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2012, 05:23 PM
 
308 posts, read 446,607 times
Reputation: 248
How could such a great place have such a terrible culture (Seattle freeze) ??
A green, "forresty" city with a great economy
should breed happy, social people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM
 
17 posts, read 20,451 times
Reputation: 17
I don't know...You can find black dudes at most clubs around Seattle chasing after white women only. Most of them actually ignore the black women in the club and go after the white ones. Why? Maybe they know white women prefer black guys and are easy to black men, which means easy target for a one-night-stand. I think you can find black people at most clubs that play hip-hop music only. You live in Bellevue? There's a bar called Blue Sky Ultra Bar right on top of La Fitness where i work out, and some time ago i saw 4 black girls in the elevator heading to Sky Ultra...Maybe there's black women there huh? Or maybe it was just luck....I haven't been there though. I know the black community is concentrated in Renton, Tacoma, and white center neighborhood in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 AM
 
124 posts, read 275,958 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder4life View Post
Grad school in Seattle!..damn, I just remember how it was going to the UW for undergrad coming from Howard University. Props for grinding it out for sure I know its not easy at all. But your right, in Maryland right now I know about 4 current professionals that went to the UW graduated and left super fast. From lawyers, and doctors the opportunities differ drastically out here.

I have heard of the article explaining the lack of women in Seattle. And from first hand experience going out multiple times a week it's very true. Putting race aside, the ratio's of men to women are terrible. My friend from East India went back home to find a women to marry. The IT/military population kills the ratio, and you will notice once you hit the streets.

Basically I really depends on how badly you want to go out a meet people and build your social circle. I know a lot of "underground" chill hip-hop/jazz lounges in Seattle that the majority of black people don't even know about/nor visit. Lucid lounge(Thursdays-Sunday) in the U-district(super chill jazz spot), Faire (Saturday/Sundays!) on Capitol hill, Capitol Club on monday's (Capitol Hill). I took it upon myself to just enjoy all the opportunities and places to meet all types of cool people.

But to League54 dating is 100X harder for any guy when there is a lack of women, basically only the strong survive. I would suggest getting out a creating a great network of friends to help aid the harsh situation Seattle has. I've always believed Seattle is one of the hardest cities on the west coast to meet women at times. Due to the lack of people really getting out and enjoying the bars/lounges/clubs on a consistent basis.
This is true. I think its a hard place to meet good friends in general. The thing that keeps me going is my family and my friends back east and where I am from. I am just here to do work at this point and enjoy the nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The Hill
30 posts, read 47,944 times
Reputation: 44
Well, I'm a black 20-something women and I just moved to the Capitol Hill/First Hill area and I mainly hangout here and DT. Dating here is pretty much what I expected it to be. I don't limit my dating pool to black men. However, there are definitely times when I wish that black men would approach me at the same rate as other men. Obviously, I know that the black population is relatively low, but when I make the effort to smile and say "Hello" to appealing black men, it's a little disappointing when I get nothing but a passing "Hello" or "How you doing?" or a faint smile or a mean mug or just completely ignored. I know what I look like, I may be not be a "Gabrielle Union" but I know that I'm attractive. The fact that other men have no problem approaching me let's me know that something's up. You know, maybe it does have something to do with what I look like. I'm a little on the short side and I'm thin. I have big kinky/curly hair, an afro that I wear down or pin up. I dress well, but not business-like or runway chic. I work full-time in health care lab and nothing about me screams "ghetto fab". I guess I need to step up my game.
But to answer the question: dating hasn't been hard for me, but it has been mostly dominated by a couple of markets. You'll have to be patient as well. I will say that I do notice more black men in the area where I live, but there are single black women like me all over the Seattle area wanting to date black men. Don't be afraid to approach us. If a black man approached me and actually wanted to talk to me, I would probably pass out.
Someone mentioned that there are two types of women in this area: ghetto and white-washed. Well, I'm neither of those that was pretty much an insult to women like me that live in Seattle. I'm looking forward to attending some meetups and other black-hosted events/venues to network and maybe get a few dates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
33,613 posts, read 19,443,580 times
Reputation: 23468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder4life View Post
To the OP, I'm a black professional male born and raised in Seattle and as a year ago moved to Maryland. First of all I have to shed light on the situation, because I feel your getting bogus information. You will most likely not find professional black women in Seattle. The demographic is not there at all, it's a needle in a haystack. The ones you do find, usually fit in 2 categories. Either extremely ghetto (and Seattle doesn't even have a "ghetto"), or really whitewashed. My problem with Seattle and women specially black women was, there's nothing in between as far as the extreme cases of personalities.

It's going to be extremely hard for you to find a educated black women who has her stuff together, and given you live on the Eastside..lol.. not going to happen. Many tend to say Seattle is diverse but I disagree, it's basically a ton of white people and a huge asian population on the rise. Sprinkle in east indian IT workers, and there you have it! I truly miss Seattle, I have a wide range of friends from various backgrounds and enjoy the outdoors. But between a black male looking for a black female, you've come to the wrong place. I'd say enjoy it, travel down to L.A, The Bay, or check out Vancouver for some real international flavor.

But just in case your a hunter and enjoy the chase as I was, check out the usual places in Belltown, Capitol Hill I suppose, P.Square (very hit or miss), Eastside has a few places but it's a huge joke and zero culture.
I have to disagree with this, though the numbers of professional black women are small, they're there. Some work for Microsoft and other tech companies. My black women friends there aren't "professional", but they're degreed, and they're neither "ghetto" nor" whitewashed". But since the AA community in the Seattle area is small compared to elsewhere, the numbers of these niche types will be correspondingly small. But they're there.

However, if you have a mobile profession, hitting the Bay Area isn't a bad idea. If you're going to be in Seattle for the time being, I'd say make the most of it, circulate, and you should have some success. Remember: big fish, small pond. You'll make a splash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
33,613 posts, read 19,443,580 times
Reputation: 23468
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
How could such a great place have such a terrible culture (Seattle freeze) ??
A green, "forresty" city with a great economy
should breed happy, social people.
It's the gloomy weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
 
346 posts, read 482,620 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostJoyDivision View Post
You know, maybe it does have something to do with what I look like. I'm a little on the short side and I'm thin. I have big kinky/curly hair, an afro that I wear down or pin up. I dress well, but not business-like or runway chic. I work full-time in health care lab and nothing about me screams "ghetto fab". I guess I need to step up my game.
I fail to see any negatives in this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Seattle
626 posts, read 593,772 times
Reputation: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostJoyDivision View Post
Well, I'm a black 20-something women and I just moved to the Capitol Hill/First Hill area and I mainly hangout here and DT. Dating here is pretty much what I expected it to be. I don't limit my dating pool to black men. However, there are definitely times when I wish that black men would approach me at the same rate as other men. Obviously, I know that the black population is relatively low, but when I make the effort to smile and say "Hello" to appealing black men, it's a little disappointing when I get nothing but a passing "Hello" or "How you doing?" or a faint smile or a mean mug or just completely ignored. I know what I look like, I may be not be a "Gabrielle Union" but I know that I'm attractive. The fact that other men have no problem approaching me let's me know that something's up. You know, maybe it does have something to do with what I look like. I'm a little on the short side and I'm thin. I have big kinky/curly hair, an afro that I wear down or pin up. I dress well, but not business-like or runway chic. I work full-time in health care lab and nothing about me screams "ghetto fab". I guess I need to step up my game.
But to answer the question: dating hasn't been hard for me, but it has been mostly dominated by a couple of markets. You'll have to be patient as well. I will say that I do notice more black men in the area where I live, but there are single black women like me all over the Seattle area wanting to date black men. Don't be afraid to approach us. If a black man approached me and actually wanted to talk to me, I would probably pass out.
Someone mentioned that there are two types of women in this area: ghetto and white-washed. Well, I'm neither of those that was pretty much an insult to women like me that live in Seattle. I'm looking forward to attending some meetups and other black-hosted events/venues to network and maybe get a few dates!
I've taken to LinkedIn to find other professional Black people in the area. Through one of new connections, a fellow alumna of my uni who moved up here recently, I learned about the Seattle Urban League Young Professional group. I'm most likely going to pay the membership fee and join the group. It looks like a great way to meet other Blacks within my demographic.

Seattle Urban League Young Professionals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
 
27,598 posts, read 22,969,304 times
Reputation: 7722
Quote:
Originally Posted by williammuscleboy View Post
I don't know...You can find black dudes at most clubs around Seattle chasing after white women only. Most of them actually ignore the black women in the club and go after the white ones. Why? Maybe they know white women prefer black guys and are easy to black men, which means easy target for a one-night-stand. I think you can find black people at most clubs that play hip-hop music only. You live in Bellevue? There's a bar called Blue Sky Ultra Bar right on top of La Fitness where i work out, and some time ago i saw 4 black girls in the elevator heading to Sky Ultra...Maybe there's black women there huh? Or maybe it was just luck....I haven't been there though. I know the black community is concentrated in Renton, Tacoma, and white center neighborhood in Seattle.
Don't forget about Bryn-Mawr-Skyway(the only majority-Black suburb in the Seattle-Tacoma-Everett metro area), Tukwila, Kent, Federal Way, Lakewood, University Place.

I didn't know the club scene was like that in the Seattle area. In the Atlanta area, Black men go after Black women(at least that's what I've seen).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top