Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a single black male moving to Seattle Saturday. I'll be working a contract job for the next year, and will be staying in Bellevue and working in Bothell. Anyway I've checked the demographics in the Seattle area , and the black population is very low. I don't need to live or be around other blacks ( my current neighborhood in Atlanta is mainly white and latin). I'm also the only black guy who works on my team, and I'm pretty comfortable with that (been that way on numerous occassions). I do however love black women, and while I've dated inter racially and had a few interracial relationships, I'm mainly attracted to black women. However based on the numbers, it seems grim. Anyone has any experience in dating as a minority in the Seattle area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM

510 posts, read 888,686 times
I used to work with quite a few black guys when I was in Bremerton/Silverdale (Navy). Most were interested in getting back to the south (Tennessee/Alabama) to meet black women. They had mentioned a few times that Bremerton/Tacoma/Seattle/Everett were basically the only areas they could find black women and that choices were kind of limited. They also said there was no shortage of large, white women in those areas that are looking specifically for black men.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM

143 posts, read 334,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Hello, I'm a single black male moving to Seattle Saturday. I'll be working a contract job for the next year, and will be staying in Bellevue and working in Bothell. Anyway I've checked the demographics in the Seattle area , and the black population is very low. I don't need to live or be around other blacks ( my current neighborhood in Atlanta is mainly white and latin). I'm also the only black guy who works on my team, and I'm pretty comfortable with that (been that way on numerous occassions). I do however love black women, and while I've dated inter racially and had a few interracial relationships, I'm mainly attracted to black women. However based on the numbers, it seems grim. Anyone has any experience in dating as a minority in the Seattle area?
What's up bro? Awesome you're moving to Seattle, my family lives in Atlanta, and I similarly am moving to Seattle in about a month. I haven't lived there per-say, but I spent a decent amount of time there and I must say, if you like black women, consider yourself lucky. Black women in Seattle are DYING to find a black man that likes black women because most black men there date interracially for multiple reasons (one being that the white women pray on them... I can speak on this both personally and from what I hear from others). So once you find some spots (usually downtown and south of downtown) where you can meet them, they'll love the attention. Hope this helps, but overall, if you meet them, you won't have too many problems keeping their attention.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,299,758 times
As a Black woman, I'm going to tell you that if you want to meet Black women on a consistent basis, move to where there are Black women. You really aren't going to find a significant population on the east side. Black communities tend to be concentrated in south King, Everett or Tacoma.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
As a Black woman, I'm going to tell you that if you want to meet Black women on a consistent basis, move to where there are Black women. You really aren't going to find a significant population on the east side. Black communities tend to be concentrated in south King, Everett or Tacoma.

Well I'm staying out East because that's where I'll be working. I won't be driving my first few months here, and I am not familiar enough with the city to live far away from where I'll be working. I do have VERY distant relative in Tacoma (like I totally have never met them distant), so there may be a few reasons to visit there.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 AM

346 posts, read 967,662 times
Hey, you only need to meet one at a time. While there may only be about 1000 black women in Bellevue, and probably only a hundred or so in your age range, they might be having the same issues as you are finding a black guy.

Those numbers sound grim in principal, but there's always online dating and stuff.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
Hey, you only need to meet one at a time. While there may only be about 1000 black women in Bellevue, and probably only a hundred or so in your age range, they might be having the same issues as you are finding a black guy.

Those numbers sound grim in principal, but there's always online dating and stuff.

Did online dating, and it has NEVER worked well for me. Either I take bad pics, and she's automatically not interested. I take pictures of myself, but don't look the same. She take pictures and don't look the same. Or I get women who are the most talkative women in the world through email or chat, but in person they have almost nothing to say. Great thing about meeting people up front, if you're not digging them, you usually won't waste your time. Online, you can literally talk for months just to find out you don't vibe at all in person. Not all online dating stories were tragedies for me, but a vast majority were. I did online dating for 5 years, and don't see myself ever going back to it.

I'm basically looking for a similarly professional black woman. I'm very career forcused, and it helps a lot if she is too. Also helps if she's not in the IT industry like I am, but hey I take it where I can get it. I'm also a contractor, and while this is my first time traveling, I doubt it'll be my last. So a woman who is just as busy would be ideal, and not one so domesticated, because I won't stay in one place too long. I would have thought Bellevue would have more black professionals, but apparently none ever come out that way. I'm guessing the culture on the West Coast may be a little different.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM

132 posts, read 453,976 times
I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but the last thread I posted on this subject got me alot of flak and alot of people jumping to conclusions without analyzing the seriousness of the situation. While I had more than enough good men agree with me, others take constructive criticism and generalizations of women as sexism (but the same treatment for men is considered okay). Not saying they were totally wrong and there was some good advice in that thread inspite of the massive trolling from members I expected to be mature, but it was mostly typical behaviour of people jumping to conclusions simply because they've never been in my shoes and cannot relate, even thought they think they can. Lesson learned, sugar coat your posts and take every reply with a grain of salt.

Anyway, there may not look like there's many black women here, but there are some that are single and looking for black men, you just have to know where to look. Since I don't get out enough these days, I don't know what to tell you, but I have yet to see black women in Bellevue.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM

56 posts, read 143,018 times
I live on the Eastside (in Redmond).

I've met *maybe* two single black women, ever.

I'd start hitting up some hip places down south and meet women there. The few black women you'll meet on the Eastside are usually married already (and moved to the Eastside for the kids to be in a good school). There just aren't a whole lot of single people in general on the Eastside.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylee View Post
I live on the Eastside (in Redmond).

I've met *maybe* two single black women, ever.

I'd start hitting up some hip places down south and meet women there. The few black women you'll meet on the Eastside are usually married already (and moved to the Eastside for the kids to be in a good school). There just aren't a whole lot of single people in general on the Eastside.

yo, i just move to Redmond. What hip places do you to go to meet women? lol
I see trees more than human around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area