U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 PM

4 posts, read 3,941 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Seattle in October 2012. We are relocating from the East coast (Central VA) so I have no idea what parts of Seattle would be a good fit for us.

We both work from home so we need at least 3 bedrooms. Also has to be in a low key and quiet area. We have a small dog and 2 cats. We are pretty quiet and keep to ourselves but we would like to eventually meet people like us that we could hang out with. Good bonuses would be things like walking trails, a nice view, a good selection of international restaurants and privacy.

We would like to live in a "safe" area. We are from DC so our standards aren't that high. It would be nice to not have to worry about leaving stuff in our car and locking the front door at all times.

Husband is keeping his old job for now but the plan is for him to find something in software development after we move. We don't know where my husband will be working so I'd like to live somewhere centrally located. He could do a 1 hour commute if necessary but it would be nice if it was closer than that!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 18,084,357 times
There is nowhere in Seattle where you can leave the front door unlocked. You would have to go to the lowest crime suburbs such as the Sammamish Plateau, Issaquah or Sammamish and even then I wouldn't recommend that. Car prowls are one of the most common crimes in Seattle, but most of it is concentrated around the areas from Belltown to Pioneer Square. If you do go with eastside suburbs the commute will be less than an hour to Seattle, though there is plenty of software development east of Lake Washington. A good compromise, central location is Bellevue, which also has very low crime, trails and restaurants. You can expect to find rents at least as high as in DC, with 3 BR apartment over $2,000 to as much as $3,000 in a newer high rise. For an older house anything under $2,500 will go very quickly.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 8,148 times
OK, so one thing I must stress is when people from (born and raised) the Pacific NW talk about crime or about bad areas....it is nothing compared to the East Coast. We moved from Philly late last year....philly was leading the race with 317 murders and Seattle was trailing with only 20. I have heard rumblings that property crime is a high rate in this area - but once again what is the point of comparison?

When we were looking for a house people would tell us Everette is the ghetto...I was so suprised when we went there. it's not perfect but it's a haven compared to philly.

We were expecting (now have a little one) when we were looking for a house. We are also in our 30's, have a dog and like the quiet life. We decided on Bothell. New construction is booming in Bothell. We love the area, the food is amazing, lots of parks and the scenery is breath taking.

I still concur with Hemlock that you don't want to leave your door unlocked...But saying that - My in laws were in town and they were constantly forgetting to lock the door...and no-one treid to get in.

So far I have not had one time when I was worried...even in Seattle (which is a very clean city).

We have been meeting a few people in the area and of the same age. people say that seattleites are a harder nut to crack - and I would agree. But everyone I have met has been lovely so far.

If you end up moving to the Bothell area, drop us a line - we can discuss how much you will miss Pizza

Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
If I were to live in Seattle (as a 30-something,) it'd be Fremont, Ballard, or Queen Anne. Maybe University as a last choice.

With your husband being a software developer though, you may find that Redmond and Bellvue maybe better areas. What with Microsoft having major offices in both those cities and all.

To me I'd want to be closer to downtown though to better experience what Seattle offers, some of which are on your list.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,941 times
Thank you everybody!

I think that I am leaning towards Bellevue (if I can afford it) or some of the Northern suburbs. Bothell also looks like it would be a good location for us.

The unlocked doors thing is to be expected in any city I suppose. I will plan on continuing our door locking and car emptying habits. It seems like DC is much scarier than Seattle so I think that I won't have a hard time finding a place where I am comfortable.

I've now figured out that if I want a 3 bedroom house with a yard I'm probably going to have to live farther out. We can't really afford anything over $2,000 a month.

Stalemate - Thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area