Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,411 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job promotion and we are relocating to Seattle from Atlanta. All I read is the high cost and bad weather. Surely there must be great things about Seattle or no one would stay.
We live in Little Five Points/Candler Park and love it. Anyone know which Seattle neighborhoods compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Imo Atlanta and Seattle are so different in so many ways. Little Five Points/Candler Park is very nice. I would say Madison Valley, parts of Capitol Hill, Madison Park, Montlake areas just to name a few. But I know these parts are a bit more expensive than 5Points. I am one who moved here from the east coast and love it. 5 Points is a nice central Atlanta location that is why I chose these Seattle areas for comparisons. You will also notice that Seattle is more dense and more walkable and bike friendly than Atlanta and our downtown is more like a real downtown with 10 times more residence, major shopping and eating establishments and is far more active as a whole.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
pwright definitely pointed out the areas that are similar, although I would have limited my answer to just the Capital Hill area. The main difference between the two cities is that Seattle is way safer, much less violent crime. High cost of living is definitely an issue but dinks (2 income no kids) can live comfortably, especially if renting. Weather, well what can you say.

Here are a few other threads that hotlanta transplants may find interesting...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...s-seattle.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...-portland.html

Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 14,763 times
Default Sheee it

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloseattle View Post
My husband got a job promotion and we are relocating to Seattle from Atlanta. All I read is the high cost and bad weather. Surely there must be great things about Seattle or no one would stay.
We live in Little Five Points/Candler Park and love it. Anyone know which Seattle neighborhoods compare?
People are moving out lady! Don't do it! lol. Seattle and Washington state are TERRIBLE! BEAUTIFUL! BUT TERRIBLE!

Ask your husband to reconsider. Or save your self and get a divorce. LOL!

There's a reason why it's not the #1 place to live in America anymore. There's a reason why there's more people moving out now than there is coming in. There's a reason why big business is getting out and why the little mom and pops are closing down. DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE>>>

Seattle, great for an expensive vacation but NOT THE PLACE TO LIVE.

signed...

Recovering Seattlite

Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Oh brother!!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,363 times
Default View of a Southerner in Seattle

As a native of Galveston, Texas, who lived in the Southeast and DC all my life before moving to Seattle in 2006, I think anyone moving to Seattle from Atlanta should come to grips with the huge differences between here and there. If those differences are cool with you, come on up. If not, you will be in for a depressing time up here. Those differences are:
1. Seattle is very whitebread compared to Atlanta. African Americans make up about 6% of the population. Asians are a larger minority. Thus, despite Seattleites reputation for openness and inclusion, we are just really WHITE. (We don't have a whole lot of experience living with and understanding people of color, in my opinion.) It is what it is... but it is very very different in character from, say, DC or Atlanta.
2. The South presents you with violent thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes and sticky, oppressive summers. The winters aren't so bad... and can be wonderful. The Pacific NW presents you with a stunningly beautiful, but brief, summer filled with crystal blue skies and no humidity or rain (June to early Sept.). From October to March, it is just plain ole gloomy. It rains every couple days and sometimes it can pour for a week. But the rain never is the hard, violent rain you get in the South. It ranges from spittle to moderate steady showers. I've heard thunder here twice in 2.5 years. But it is almost nonstop grey for several months. (However, 30 minutes away you can ski on slopes with 200 inches of snow.)
3. The South is noted for the politeness and gentility of its people. The Northwest is noted for the reserve and independence of its people. Although a native Southerner, I always thought the politeness was more superficial than real. I prefer the detached independence of folks up here. When you get to know someone here, you have a close friend for life. But you don't rack up 100 "friends" like you might in the South, folks you wave to and exchange pleasantries with. Seattleites aren't much for waving and small talk. I personally like this. Do not mistake it for rudeness -- it is reserve. Go to DC if you want to see in your face rudeness.
4. It is not cheap to live here. The average home in Seattle costs around half a million, and houses here are eclectic, funky, multi-level, geneally wooden or siding -- and if perched on a hill, they offer you spectacular views. (I live on Phinney Ridge, and my back window overlooks the Olympic Mountain range and Puget Sound. It is stunning.)

Hope this helps. I must admit a bias toward the NW. The South to me is still full of bigots, haters and too many biting bugs. (Sorry mom and dad.)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 PM

22 posts, read 68,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md12959 View Post
The South is noted for the politeness and gentility of its people. The Northwest is noted for the reserve and independence of its people. Although a native Southerner, I always thought the politeness was more superficial than real. I prefer the detached independence of folks up here. When you get to know someone here, you have a close friend for life. But you don't rack up 100 "friends" like you might in the South, folks you wave to and exchange pleasantries with. Seattleites aren't much for waving and small talk.
Being from North Florida I agree with this 100%. I could not have said this any better. Well done.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 PM

170 posts, read 846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md12959 View Post
As a native of Galveston, Texas, who lived in the Southeast and DC all my life before moving to Seattle in 2006, I think anyone moving to Seattle from Atlanta should come to grips with the huge differences between here and there. If those differences are cool with you, come on up. If not, you will be in for a depressing time up here. Those differences are:
1. Seattle is very whitebread compared to Atlanta. African Americans make up about 6% of the population. Asians are a larger minority. Thus, despite Seattleites reputation for openness and inclusion, we are just really WHITE. (We don't have a whole lot of experience living with and understanding people of color, in my opinion.) It is what it is... but it is very very different in character from, say, DC or Atlanta.
2. The South presents you with violent thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes and sticky, oppressive summers. The winters aren't so bad... and can be wonderful. The Pacific NW presents you with a stunningly beautiful, but brief, summer filled with crystal blue skies and no humidity or rain (June to early Sept.). From October to March, it is just plain ole gloomy. It rains every couple days and sometimes it can pour for a week. But the rain never is the hard, violent rain you get in the South. It ranges from spittle to moderate steady showers. I've heard thunder here twice in 2.5 years. But it is almost nonstop grey for several months. (However, 30 minutes away you can ski on slopes with 200 inches of snow.)
3. The South is noted for the politeness and gentility of its people. The Northwest is noted for the reserve and independence of its people. Although a native Southerner, I always thought the politeness was more superficial than real. I prefer the detached independence of folks up here. When you get to know someone here, you have a close friend for life. But you don't rack up 100 "friends" like you might in the South, folks you wave to and exchange pleasantries with. Seattleites aren't much for waving and small talk. I personally like this. Do not mistake it for rudeness -- it is reserve. Go to DC if you want to see in your face rudeness.
4. It is not cheap to live here. The average home in Seattle costs around half a million, and houses here are eclectic, funky, multi-level, geneally wooden or siding -- and if perched on a hill, they offer you spectacular views. (I live on Phinney Ridge, and my back window overlooks the Olympic Mountain range and Puget Sound. It is stunning.)

Hope this helps. I must admit a bias toward the NW. The South to me is still full of bigots, haters and too many biting bugs. (Sorry mom and dad.)
Perfect post. Being from the South myself I have been saying all of that, at times word for word, for a while now here on the Seattle forum. Glad I have another ally now who can backup the things I have been saying

In fact the way you described the Southern Hospitality vs NW Reserve is exactly how I attempted to describe it to some people on here a couple of weeks back. I agree 100% : the "friendliness" of the south is only superficial while here in Seattle people will not ask how you are doing unless they sincerely care to know...which is the way it should be!! I have made many friends here in Seattle and they are true friends, people I can count on. Down south everything was very superficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area