Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 PM

112 posts, read 292,663 times

Advertisements

We live about 4 miles from the new Seattle Target and decided to try it and do our school supply shopping for our kids there today. I assumed that it would be free parking with validation once we spent money there. The "deal" is: First hour free if you spend over $20.00 and then it's $10.00 per hour after that. Seriously? We turned around and went to Factoria. For one, we didn't feel like being on a time limit since we had quite a bit of shopping to do and second, I would never pay $10.00 per hour for the privilege of shopping at Target downtown.

I see a huge problem with this and I can't imagine most people are going for this. Yes, it may attract locals who live very close but what if someone was driving by and wanted to purchase a few items (less than $20.00) or those who live just a little too far to walk (I guess technically I could have walked but with 3 kids in tow and bags of supplies that did not sound appealing.)

What do you all think? Does this sit well with anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Actually sounds normal. Uwajimaya does the same thing... now I don't even bother as there's the Renton and Bellevue locations I can go to (with bigger parking spaces as well).

Target is doing a new concept with this particular store... it's a City store (Target's City Ambitions - Businessweek ). It definitely will help out the residents in DT area, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne area, et. c-- so that they don't have to go to Northgate Mall. I think it'll simply be a novel thing for those not living in the city, but once that first visit is done-- odds are they aren't coming back.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 PM

65 posts, read 137,252 times
The prevailing ideology is free parking in the inner city is a bad idea; if it is easier for you to go to Factoria for a <$10 purchase, most people (and Target) would probably encourage you to go to Factoria instead, rather than subsidize extra parking for you in inner Seattle.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin98103 View Post
The prevailing ideology is free parking in the inner city is a bad idea; if it is easier for you to go to Factoria for a <$10 purchase, most people (and Target) would probably encourage you to go to Factoria instead, rather than subsidize extra parking for you in inner Seattle.
^ This.

Why people expect free parking in the middle of a bustling downtown I'll never know. Look at the real estate prices around that area - if you wanted "free" parking all of the products in Target would have to be far more expensive.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The city (and Mayor especially) does not like cars in Seattle, and the high parking fees and additional city taxes on parking are the result. I don't think this store is going to thrive on local walk-in customers but will probably survive, as long as it has no competition in that area. It was designed for the environment, in fact sells smaller packages of things like toilet paper than the suburban stores to make it easier for people walking to shop. I doubt the plastic bag ban is going to help them, though.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
The "CityTarget" stores around the country do have a different product mix than the more common and bigger suburban outlets. In addition to being smaller than a standard Target, the CityTarget stores heavily emphasize household basics for local, urban residents on foot and commuters who use public transportation. The Seattle store should also benefit from tourist traffic.

A critical mass of local customers and parking considerations are both parts of the equation that Target would have considered before putting roots downtown in Seattle. The CityTarget in Chicago is on bustling State Street, and it's clearly something you walk to, rather than drive to (there is no parking offered at all). I'm going to be very interested to see how these CityTargets do around the country.

I know that if I lived in say, Belltown, I would be delighted to have this store as a new retail option. As someone who commutes downtown, I'm sure I will be an occasional customer. But obviously there is no reason to go there specifically from outside areas, especially if there is a convenient Target near to you in places like Bellevue/Factoria or Tukwila, for example.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Take it from someone who lives near a car-centric downtown; you don't want an abundance of cheap parking, essentially blocks after blocks of no life and little revenue generation whatsoever. Your mayor knows what's up.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
If they offered free parking in perpetuity - you'd never be able to get into the garage. Everyone and their dog would park there, make some minor purchase and then go to <some DT location> for hours while actual Target customers would circle the garage and curse. If going to Factoria is easier - then go there. Strictly my opinion, but if you're going to get in that car, why not go someplace with copious free parking? It's not that much extra driving and it's a whole lot less hassle than getting and out of most parking garages. I'm kinda surprised they're offering free parking at all. I can't think of any other store that does that. Even 1 hour of free parking DT is alot.

However, as someone who lives DT and is never going to use the parking garage at all - I'm thrilled to have walkable option that I used to have to drive to the suburbs for. Even more thrilled that they're targeting an urban lifestyle with their inventory and packaging. No more logistics of splitting bulky stuff with friends and neighbors.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
It's easy to take the bus downtown, why would you drive?

Not only is the bus cheaper and you don't need to pay for parking--but you buy less crap because you don't have mini van to haul all that stuff home. Money saved.

Taking the bus also keeps your house is cleaner and less cluttered with Target cheapcrapfromChina, because it's a PITA to haul 3 shopping carts worth of junk on the bus. When you can't buy more than you can comfortably carry, you weigh your purchases much more carefully. Less crap in the cupboards and closets, less money sailing from your wallet to>the China GDP, less money spent on gas to drive all your stuff home, it's all a win!

You can take yourself out for a nice lunch with the money you saved. The hell with their parking garage.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM

112 posts, read 292,663 times
Thanks everyone. What you're saying actually makes perfect sense and after some research about the City Targets, I can see the appeal for those who live close by. I sense of bit judgement by reading some of these posts. The bus in our case is not cheaper because:
1. We are a family of 5
2. My insurance is paid for by my company
3. No car loan

While I still have to pay for gas it's still not cheaper. Also, we were purchasing school supplies and not crap for our cupboards and closets. Everything we bought were items that were on their school supply list and will be going with them to school. I also do not drive a mini van or SUV and would never think about it either.

One last thing to clarify. I would never expect Target to provide free parking to the public. Only free parking to their customers. However, now I understand a lot more about this concept and realize that my frustration and opinions were not common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area