U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM

561 posts, read 607,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The nuclear plant doesn't bother you? [San Luis-Obispo]

Agree on San Juan Islands but afraid I'd get bored.
No area is going to be truly perfect. I can tolerate a minor risk of meltdown for all the attributes: great weather 10 mos/year; nice, varied geography; relaxed social atmosphere; etc.

The older I get (41), the more I enjoy 'boring'. While city living is convenient, the sensory overload really wears me out after awhile. At this point in my life I'd rather live in a boring-relaxing community, where I can easily spend my free time conveniently biking, hiking, and kayaking.

Any area that approaches perfection in virtually every other respect is likely to be pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM

3,050 posts, read 1,781,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
No area is going to be truly perfect. I can tolerate a minor risk of meltdown for all the attributes: great weather 10 mos/year; nice, varied geography; relaxed social atmosphere; etc.

The older I get (41), the more I enjoy 'boring'. While city living is convenient, the sensory overload really wears me out after awhile. At this point in my life I'd rather live in a boring-relaxing community, where I can easily spend my free time conveniently biking, hiking, and kayaking.

Any area that approaches perfection in virtually every other respect is likely to be pricey.
Yea, what's that all about?? I feel the same way...and the San Juan Islands would be a dream come true. Yes, I know it's isolated. And amenities may come at a premium, if at all. But what the area offers (in my eyes) far outweighs any "convenience". However, as stated, it's too difficult to make a wage there and outside of winning the lottery, this dream may have to wait.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM

71 posts, read 85,107 times
I am very jealous, I'm here in the Las Vegas heat....... I hate it here. I actually lived south of Seattle a for about 6 months 2 years ago and I really want to move back soon........... anyone hiring?......lol

Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM

4,460 posts, read 4,403,110 times
Beauty is the in eye of the beholder, but try kayaking, bonfires on the beach, low or almost no humidity (during the summer anyway), riding a ferry for 2 hours for only 8 bucks and golfing during the day and skiing at night in a place like Atlanta.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 PM

26 posts, read 18,558 times
Been here for over a decade, getting sick of it even though it is very nice and always very fresh, time for something else

Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM

561 posts, read 607,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmyapples View Post
Been here for over a decade, getting sick of it even though it is very nice and always very fresh, time for something else
May I ask your age? The reason I is that I had similar inclinations in my early 30s. During that time I did extensive research, and travelled a far amount. I realized no area is perfect, and overall Seattle is a nice, blanced place to live.

If weather this summer is indicative of the future (I think it probably is), I think we're really lucky to be in this regions. Issues related to global warming are only going to intensify, and this region is probably going to be one of the few with consistently tolerable weather. Yes, it's pretty dreary about 6-8 mos/year, but most of the time it's tolerable.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM

643 posts, read 808,179 times
People are "lucky" to live anywhere that makes them happy.

Not everyone is happy in Seattle -- or with Seattle. I was born there -- lived there for over 20 years, and worked a few blocks from the Space Needle mentioned in the original post, yet I've been happier living in several other cities. YMOV (Your Mileage Obviously Varies).

Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,912,627 times
Seattle is ok. I'm not sure if I can see myself living here for another 20 or 30 years. One thing I somewhat dislike about Seattle is it's overall lack of diversity and personality. Everything is great about Seattle but the people. Honestly, I just find people in Seattle to be very dull and boring. Maybe it's me being mainly on the East Coast my entire life, but people in Seattle just seem kind of lifeless. It's hard to find people in Seattle who aren't super politically correct, which get's pretty irritating since I really hate political correctness. I guess we can chalk that up to liberal politics. Basically, in Seattle there are no black people, and the black people who are here are probably liberal. So as a black conservative living in Seattle, I'm so far out of Seattle's myopic view of reality, it's no wonder I don't fit in much. And then I try to get people clearly trying to get me to say things they want to hear. Such as this one guy was talking about some conservative and civil rights, and I guess he expected me to bash the guy. I just said "I don't really care, I guess he's free to do whatever he likes". Really in Seattle, I feel so tense because everything is so politically correct, and it's VERY hard to have a conservative viewpoint without alienating yourself. One thing I liked about Atlanta is it's diverse politics amongst the population. Black conservatives and other minorities weren't really as rare as it is in Seattle.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 AM

968 posts, read 1,205,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Black conservatives and other minorities weren't really as rare as it is in Seattle.
Blacks (rare in Seattle) + conservatives (rare)= very rare in Seattle.

Although my general impression is that Black conservative is fairly rare nationwide. Didn't Obama win 92% of the Black vote?

Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 AM

42 posts, read 36,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
I lived two years in the South and, although I honestly did enjoy aspects of it (it might have helped that I was in a college town in Knoxville), Seattle and the Northwest in general has and will always feel like home for me. There are very few places I feel I can be my natural self and fit in, and Seattle is one of those. The incredible beauty of the area and the climate are significant pluses for my personality as well. I hope to get back, but unfortunately I am unsure when that might happen.

Hopefully you will get to Seattle soon!
thanks! you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area